Mine Ride Construction Update

lazyboy97o

Exactly what ride has ride vehicles that can compare? The only thing I can think of is Indiana Jones and would say those still pale. I guess gringotts is conceivable (or maybe something in Tokyo?)but we haven't seen any pics of those yet-the renderings looked more or less like The Mummy. I'm not aware of any ride vehicle that looks like it's made out of textured material or has been thematically aged as much as these have. Certainly nothing in the US.
Did you miss the pictures above? The extensive work to make a synthetic material look like wood is not thematic detail. It is required because we know wood. It is something we see and feel. We understand how it looks and operates. A true detail would be something small that one would not expect in such a controlled environment, like a working lantern.

kap91

Did you miss the pictures above? The extensive work to make a synthetic material look like wood is not thematic detail. It is required because we know wood. It is something we see and feel. We understand how it looks and operates. A true detail would be something small that one would not expect in such a controlled environment, like a working lantern.

I did not see the pictures above until after I posted but would say the mine cars meet or exceed all of those posted...certainly in the same league. And I wasn't really considering the trains or boats - I was thinking dark ride or coaster -for whatever reason I've never called those ride vehicles although I guess they technically are.

And as far as the wood goes that's exactly my point ---when else have we seen this much effort or attention paid to ride vehicles and making them look at all like what their supposed to? They're going as far as to age each car differently. It's pretty rare. Usually they're just painted metal and/or fiberglass. To me that is still detail. They could have easily just made them brown metal - certainly that'd be in line with what has been done in the past.

I swear it's like people are trying to find everything they can wrong with this ride acting like it's crap. I get that it could've been a lot more (nearly every ride ever built was designed to be much more than it ended up being) and I'm the first one wishing it was but why do people find it so hard to give it any praise at all? The visuals of the exterior of the mine train (and indeed most of FLE) and the ride cars are on a completely different level than nearly everything that came before them regardless of their content(with disney sea being the only real exception). And so if the lanterns happen to not light I really don't see where it's that big of deal. It'd be nice yes but any kind of meaningful disappointment? I can think of many other things spending my time lamenting over.

Last edited:

RandySavage

^ When I saw the video, I was also really impressed by how the coaster trains are looking. Everything I can see about the rendering of this attraction impresses me, actually. Tier I level work. Now hoping it all comes together for a winner attraction.

SpectroMan93

When you think of the amount of time it has taken them to build this ride, I understand why some (many) people already feel disappointed with this ride. However, what I love about this ride more than Snow White's Scary Adventures is that is giving people an environment that they can live and breathe in, even when you aren't riding it. Once this ride is open and the walls are down, people will get to see New Fantasyland as a whole, with the waterfalls, streams, and trees coming together to make a truly enchanted forest environment.

Coming back to the ride itself, we still have no idea what the queue, station, and the indoor parts of the ride will truly look like, so even though it is frustratingly hard for people on this forum to do, WAIT TILL IT IS OPEN TO PASS JUDGEMENT. People would be less disappointed with what Disney puts out if they didn't have a strong opinion about it beforehand.

Sped2424

When you think of the amount of time it has taken them to build this ride, I understand why some (many) people already feel disappointed with this ride. However, what I love about this ride more than Snow White's Scary Adventures is that is giving people an environment that they can live and breathe in, even when you aren't riding it. Once this ride is open and the walls are down, people will get to see New Fantasyland as a whole, with the waterfalls, streams, and trees coming together to make a truly enchanted forest environment.

Coming back to the ride itself, we still have no idea what the queue, station, and the indoor parts of the ride will truly look like, so even though it is frustratingly hard for people on this forum to do, WAIT TILL IT IS OPEN TO PASS JUDGEMENT. People would be less disappointed with what Disney puts out if they didn't have a strong opinion about it beforehand.
While I feel this ride will be a nice addition I know its not going to be an e ticket experience no matter how much Disney is going to try and sell it. But I agree with all of the above stated. This will be a wonderful addition more so than the rest of New Fantasy land, one that will be great to experience inside and out.

spacemt354

Chili's
You're getting the most detailed themed ride cars ever made...ever...

And as far as the wood goes that's exactly my point ---when else have we seen this much effort or attention paid to ride vehicles and making them look at all like what their supposed to? They're going as far as to age each car differently. It's pretty rare. Usually they're just painted metal and/or fiberglass. To me that is still detail. They could have easily just made them brown metal - certainly that'd be in line with what has been done in the past.

I swear it's like people are trying to find everything they can wrong with this ride acting like it's crap. I get that it could've been a lot more (nearly every ride ever built was designed to be much more than it ended up being) and I'm the first one wishing it was but why do people find it so hard to give it any praise at all? The visuals of the exterior of the mine train (and indeed most of FLE) and the ride cars are on a completely different level than nearly everything that came before them regardless of their content(with disney sea being the only real exception). And so if the lanterns happen to not light I really don't see where it's that big of deal. It'd be nice yes but any kind of meaningful disappointment? I can think of many other things spending my time lamenting over.

Why is a lantern not lighting on the 'most detailed themed ride cars ever made' not a big deal? You set pretty high standards for the ride vehicles with that definition, so I would be meaningfully disappointed if an element of the ride vehicles did not live up to those high standards you set.

Some people find it hard to give praise to a ride that hasn't opened yet. It's like giving praise to a movie you've only seen the trailers of, (and literally that's what we have seen of this ride: trailers) While Disney is hyping the attraction, people are skeptical that the ride itself will not live up to expectations, due to WDW's track record these last few years of providing immense detail and eloquent environments with average attraction experiences.

It's not that people are withholding praise to fuel some vendetta against WDW. I want this attraction to succeed, and i think everyone else does as well. Pre-maturely crowning attractions as E+ tickets (as some Disney spokespeople have) and determining that these are the most detailed themed ride cars ever made are lofty assertions for an attraction that was defined as somewhere in between BTMR and Barnstormer.

WishIwasThere

Actually at it's current pace the Mine Ride is on pace to be the second fastest ride Disney has built at WDW since 2008....

Mission:Space (3/29/2000-10/10/2003) 43 Months
Test Track (1/2/1996-3/17/1999) 38 Months
BatB/Little Mermaid Section of FLE (2/10/2010-12/6/2012) 34 months
Expedition Everest 7/1/2003 4/7/2006 33 Months
Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride (10/1/2011-4/30/2014) 30 Months
Toy Story Mania (11/18/2006-5/31/2008) 18 Months

By comparison, Disneyland took 12 months to build, Magic Kingdom about 46 months, Epcot about 36 months, not sure for the time to build Disney MGM or Animal Kingdom.

lunchbox1175

While I feel this ride will be a nice addition I know its not going to be an e ticket experience no matter how much Disney is going to try and sell it. But I agree with all of the above stated. This will be a wonderful addition more so than the rest of New Fantasy land, one that will be great to experience inside and out.
I completely agree, even if it isn't much of a thrill ride, at least it will be something that in theory will help alleviate the wait times on the other rides.

kap91

Some people find it hard to give praise to a ride that hasn't opened yet.

But they have no problem skewering it before it opens? Seems like backwards logic to me. Either you withhold all judgement before it opens or you are free to complain and praise based on what you do know.

Why is a lantern not lighting on the 'most detailed themed ride cars ever made' not a big dea

Because with or without it they'd still be many many steps above what has normally be done. I didn't say they were the best conceivable I said they were the best in existence. And I still say they're worthy of that label and if not still would be at #2 or #3. No one is complaining that Everest's trains have no lights or that the cars are basically painted boxes yet here you're getting a lot more and it's still not enough.

While Disney is hyping the attraction, people are skeptical that the ride itself will not live up to expectations, due to WDW's track record these last few years of providing immense detail and eloquent environments with average attraction experiences.

It's not that people are withholding praise to fuel some vendetta against WDW. I want this attraction to succeed, and i think everyone else does as well. Pre-maturely crowning attractions as E+ tickets (as some Disney spokespeople have) and determining that these are the most detailed themed ride cars ever made are lofty assertions for an attraction that was defined as somewhere in between BTMR and Barnstormer.

I certainly didn't assert the ride was an e-ticket nor have many others outside of the Disney marketing machine. And really do you expect Disney to say "here's our newest ride - but yeah it's not that cool you really shouldn't pay attention to it all that much. Wait till 2017 or go to carsland"? It's never been claimed to be more than a coaster for families and people of all ages with a thrill factor between barnstormer and BTM with an immersive environment.

I personally am a bit disappointed in the content of Disney's rides lately (though I feel it's more about trying too hard to hit certain demographics and ideals rather than any sort of ineptitude ). I would have loved the mine coaster to be more than it is and more in line with the blueprints leaked above. However as you yourself pointed out Disney has done a superb job lately with "immense detail and eloquent environments" and I'm ok with giving credit where it's due even if the attraction looks to be a rather short timid coaster with only one big scene. So yes best or nearly best themed ride cars ever regardless of whether or not the bloody lanterns light. :)

Last edited:

Bocabear

I did not see the pictures above until after I posted but would say the mine cars meet or exceed all of those posted...certainly in the same league. And I wasn't really considering the trains or boats - I was thinking dark ride or coaster -for whatever reason I've never called those ride vehicles although I guess they technically are.

Didn't Snow White's Scary Adventures have ride vehicles that were textured and faux painted to look like they were carved out of wood?.....just like these mine cars?

kap91

Didn't Snow White's Scary Adventures have ride vehicles that were textured and faux painted to look like they were carved out of wood?.....just like these mine cars?
Yes to a degree but it looked nowhere near as good as these coaster cars. Additionally in swsa no attempt was made to say the ride vehicles were anything but ride vehicles. Here they actually look like they are mine cars.

MOXOMUMD

Additionally in swsa no attempt was made to say the ride vehicles were anything but ride vehicles.
They actually were designed to represent the dwarfs beds. That's why each vehicle had a dwarf's name and the carved animals just like in the movie.

spacemt354

Chili's
But they have no problem skewering it before it opens? Seems like backwards logic to me. Either you withhold all judgement before it opens or you are free to complain and praise based on what you do know.

Being skeptical and not giving it praise before it opens is not "skewering" the attraction. With this attraction, I withhold total judgment until I experience it myself.

Because with or without it they'd still be many many steps above what has normally be done. I didn't say they were the best conceivable I said they were the best in existence. And I still say they're worthy of that label and if not still would be at #2 or #3. No one is complaining that Everest's trains have no lights or that the cars are basically painted boxes yet here you're getting a lot more and it's still not enough.

How can you say it's the best in existence when you haven't been on the ride yet? You've only seen a video. That's not enough evidence. You're free to your opinion, but it's way too early to be declaring that, especially when there are several other attractions with detailed ride vehicles in existence today.

I certainly didn't assert the ride was an e-ticket nor have many others outside of the Disney marketing machine. And really do you expect Disney to say "here's our newest ride - but yeah it's not that cool you really shouldn't pay attention to it all that much. Wait till 2017 or go to carsland"? It's never been claimed to be more than a coaster for families and people of all ages with a thrill factor between barnstormer and BTM with an immersive environment.

I personally am a bit disappointed in the content of Disney's rides lately (though I feel it's more about trying too hard to hit certain demographics and ideals rather than any sort of ineptitude ). I would have loved the mine coaster to be more than it is and more in line with the blueprints leaked above. However as you yourself pointed out Disney has done a superb job lately with "immense detail and eloquent environments" and I'm ok with giving credit where it's due even if the attraction looks to be a rather short timid coaster with only one big scene. So yes best or nearly best themed ride cars ever regardless of whether or not the bloody lanterns light. :)

Tower of Terror, Radiator Springs Racers, Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jungle Cruise, Kilimanjaro's Safari, WDW Railroad, Wildlife Express Train, Liberty Bell and so on. It's not accurate to put 7DMT on a pedestal just yet. We should wait to ride it, because as you agreed, Disney is going to hype everything because they want you to take notice. Don't you think therefore, they would over-hype these ride vehicles, hence why there was a promotional video about them?

You might not have called it an E-ticket attraction (nobody claimed you did) however you are asserting that we will be getting the best themed ride cars, a la E-ticket quality ride cars. If I had to choose, I would rather have an E-ticket quality attraction with C or D ticket level ride vehicles/environments, then the other way around. Naturally it would be nice if Disney could combine the two again like they used to.

But like I said before, I'm not rooting for this to fail. I want it to succeed, but you have to understand that skepticism before riding and withholding praise before riding is not a negative against the attraction. I would say it's common sense.

ABQ

@spacemt354 , in defense of @kap91 , I have read a number of posts, and I'm sorry I cannot find and quote them all here where members of this forum have mockingly referred to the incomplete 7DMT as a "Kiddie coaster" and "dressed up Barnstormer" I am not claiming you personally have stated either of these things, but I do believe that may be the sort of commentary which Kap is putting in the "skewering" corner as I cannot say either of those comparisons are objective and neutral and are in fact meant to diminish the attraction's status from anything greater than a C ticket ride, which it very well may be, but also by all outward, current, appearances does appear to be very well themed even while not being Cedar Point quality coaster ride.

spacemt354

Chili's
@spacemt354 , in defense of @kap91 , I have read a number of posts, and I'm sorry I cannot find and quote them all here where members of this forum have mockingly referred to the incomplete 7DMT as a "Kiddie coaster" and "dressed up Barnstormer" I am not claiming you personally have stated either of these things, but I do believe that may be the sort of commentary which Kap is putting in the "skewering" corner as I cannot say either of those comparisons are objective and neutral and are in fact meant to diminish the attraction's status from anything greater than a C ticket ride, which it very well may be, but also by all outward, current, appearances does appear to be very well themed even while not being Cedar Point quality coaster ride.

Yes there have been people who have said that in the past. It isn't necessary to find them, because I know what you're talking about. What I will say though, is that I believe those overly-negative posts balance out with some overly-positive posts as well. Everyone will have different opinions.

Where does the negative come from? Maybe due to the fact that competition surrounding WDW is putting up E-ticket quality attractions left and right, while Disney is milking the construction of this family coaster for 2 years. People who want to diminish the attraction itself, derive from the notion that this attraction was initially longer and more detailed, yet was "diminished" due to budget cuts. While something in between Barnstromer and BTMR will be a welcome addition to the Magic Kingdom, people are disappointed that 7DMT is it for a while in terms of anticipated additions to the parks. People want to be wowed, especially with the increasing ticket prices to the parks, and it's unfortunate that it seems like they will have to wait till 2017 at the earliest for the next big WDW addition.

In terms of overly-positive opinions, these derive from an optimism that this attraction will blow expectations away and they feel offended when others take a more skeptical approach. From what I gather, they see praise distributed out to the competition, but more skepticism devoted to WDW attractions, in particular 7DMT. So they feel the need to defend the attraction.

While I always take the approach to wait to judge once I ride, the commentary regarding this attraction has been an interesting read. Maybe because I wasn't on forums before this, but I've never seen a more polarizing attraction in terms of good vs bad before it even opens! It will be interesting to see and I look forward to the ride once it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom