Mine Ride Construction Update

orky8

Does anyone mind if I return this thread to the appropriate topic? (I think we have enough banter threads elsewhere).

Update from mousesteps - http://www.mousesteps.com/extra-fea...eo-update-january-9-2014-in-the-magic-kingdom

A couple items to note:

1) Trees are now in place on the storybook circus side.
2) The ride control panel thing under the vultures has received its themeing.
3) The poles for the fake trees have received attachments, indicating fake trees may be imminent (ETA, looking back, these may have been there for a while)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Does anyone mind if I return this thread to the appropriate topic? (I think we have enough banter threads elsewhere).

Update from mousesteps - http://www.mousesteps.com/extra-fea...eo-update-january-9-2014-in-the-magic-kingdom

A couple items to note:

1) Trees are now in place on the storybook circus side.
2) The ride control panel thing under the vultures has received its themeing.
3) The poles for the fake trees have received attachments, indicating fake trees may be imminent (ETA, looking back, these may have been there for a while)

why they hate nature so much lately?

The Empress Lilly

I did not see the pictures above until after I posted but would say the mine cars meet or exceed all of those posted...certainly in the same league. And I wasn't really considering the trains or boats - I was thinking dark ride or coaster -for whatever reason I've never called those ride vehicles although I guess they technically are.

And as far as the wood goes that's exactly my point ---when else have we seen this much effort or attention paid to ride vehicles and making them look at all like what their supposed to? They're going as far as to age each car differently. It's pretty rare. Usually they're just painted metal and/or fiberglass. To me that is still detail. They could have easily just made them brown metal - certainly that'd be in line with what has been done in the past.

I swear it's like people are trying to find everything they can wrong with this ride acting like it's crap. I get that it could've been a lot more (nearly every ride ever built was designed to be much more than it ended up being) and I'm the first one wishing it was but why do people find it so hard to give it any praise at all? The visuals of the exterior of the mine train (and indeed most of FLE) and the ride cars are on a completely different level than nearly everything that came before them regardless of their content(with disney sea being the only real exception). And so if the lanterns happen to not light I really don't see where it's that big of deal. It'd be nice yes but any kind of meaningful disappointment? I can think of many other things spending my time lamenting over.
We ('I') object to all the marketing hype about 'biggest expansion ever', 'unprecedented detail', and 'best ride vehicles ever'.

One does not even need to leave the same FL area to negate all of that. Here's a before and after picture, ironically, almost down the exact same spot.

jlm440129SMALL.jpg

aet291053LARGE.jpg

The 'aged metal' submarine (with light fixtures!) could fit all 'aged wood' mine cars combined. The area isn't an expansion, it was FL before. There are no new levels of detail, no new waterfalls and trees. It is simply a repurposed area, rebuild in a different colour and in cartoon instead of live action setting.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is it just me or has this new fantasyland expansion taken ages? I have earned 2 degrees in the time frame lol.

It seems that way because they decided to add the Mine Ride (replacing the fancy M&G that were going to be there) late in the process. If the Mine Ride had been included from the start it's likely the whole thing would have been done in around 2 1/2 years which is consistent with the time it has taken to build other recent WDW attractions.

disney4life2008

It seems that way because they decided to add the Mine Ride (replacing the fancy M&G that were going to be there) late in the process. If the Mine Ride had been included from the start it's likely the whole thing would have been done in around 2 1/2 years which is consistent with the time it has taken to build other recent WDW attractions.

2.5 years later :)

BrianLo

Ya and over at Universal they demolished Jaws and have almost opened a new land. And this was done in about half the time since FLE broke ground.

Well to be fair each "component" of FLE was about 2.5 years (same as Diagon's 2.5 years). It just happened to have two overlapping components as they course corrected midway through construction.

Moral of the story let's hope they never role out a singular land in phases again, multiple lands like in HKDL expansion are a'ok and didn't seem to get the same flack.

Transformers on the other hand... that was just stupid fast, but that's more of an exception.

Disney construction could definitely pick up the pace, but I don't think they are as glacially as they get the rep for.

lazyboy97o

I do not know if the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would have opened too much sooner had it been part of the initial announcement. Part of the reason they were able to slot in the attraction is because they did not start on the meet and greet complex at the same time as the rest of the project.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is that a planned stop on the lift hill or are they testing failsafes out? It does stop right in front of that mine entrance

Interesting observation. When I saw the video I just assumed that was part of testing, but you could be right that it is a stop at the mine entrance.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I do not know if the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train would have opened too much sooner had it been part of the initial announcement. Part of the reason they were able to slot in the attraction is because they did not start on the meet and greet complex at the same time as the rest of the project.

The expansion was announced in Sept of 2009 and the construction wall went up in April of 2010. The Fantasyland plans that were recently leaked are dated April 2010 and show the mine ride, so it appears that at the time the construction was actually starting plans were already in the works to make the switch so nothing was done on the M&G except land clearing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom