Mine Ride Construction Update

hpyhnt 1000

If you look at old pictures MK had more trees in the past. I don't know if they were removed due to issues with the roots or just because they over grew their locations. Main Street in particular at one time was lined with trees. I think they probably ruined fireworks viewing or something so they got removed. This site has some good pictures from 1989:
http://www.burnsland.com/adventures/2013/04/looking-back-magic-kingdom-in-1989/

The Hub area underwent a massive re-do in 2005 for the arrival of Cinderellabration and to improve the sight lines for Wishes. Pathways were widened, planters shrunk, benches removed and trees eliminated, all to allow for better views of the castle and its stage.

Over the years, Main Street, particularly Town Square, has seen its trees reduced as well in the name of sight lines (though I noticed they recently did put new trees in Town Square-hopefully they let them grow now). Further, the arrival of The Magic, The Memories, and You projection show eliminated what few mature trees had remained in the Hub because they would have obscured the Main Street roof projectors.

Fantasyland has always been a bit of a concrete wasteland, but it had gotten particularly worse since the late 1990s. Jack Spence's Skyway page has pics that show where there used to be trees in Fantasyland; certainly more lush in comparison to today. The new Forest area should make a difference and begin to correct the tree removal thats taken place in Fantasyland.
http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/09/magic_kingdom_skyway_1.html

Last edited:

Slowjack

Fantasyland has always been a bit of a concrete wasteland, but it had gotten particularly worse since the late 1990s. Jack Spence's Skyway page has pics that show where there used to be trees in Fantasyland; certainly more lush in comparison to today. The new Forest area should make a difference and begin to correct the tree removal thats taken place in Fantasyland.
I agree, but also I have to say that your link is taking me someplace other that what the text suggests.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Hub area underwent a massive re-do in 2005 for the arrival of Cinderellabration and to improve the sight lines for Wishes. Pathways were widened, planters shrunk, benches removed and trees eliminated, all to allow for better views of the castle and its stage.
used to be trees in Fantasyland; certainly more lush in comparison to today. The new Forest area should make a difference and begin to correct the tree removal thats taken place in Fantasyland.

Yeah...it hijacks me also.

I see why ... h ttp://internal/iCabMobile_CallBack?openURLinTarget&target=_blank&url=http%3A%2F%2Fland.allears.net%2Fblogs%2Fjackspence%2F2009%2F09%2Fmagic_kingdom_skyway_1.html&referrer=about%3Ablank']http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/09/magic_kingdom_skyway_1.html

tl77

Good picture of the thing at the top of the lift hill. I will let people make up their own minds as to whether this is just there for themeing or if there is more to it.

DSC04764.jpg

seeing this added into the mine train makes me think that "mystery trench" on top the mountain might also have some show/theming function, anybody got and thoughts or info on that?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
seeing this added into the mine train makes me think that "mystery trench" on top the mountain might also have some show/theming function, anybody got and thoughts or info on that?
I think the "mystery trench" is there for maintenance to reach the upper parts of the hill, without having to install railings and other fall guard protections that would distract and appear un-natural. From below, the trenches will probably be out of sight, much as the separation trenches at K Safari at Animal Kingdom are designed to be invisible to the guests.

Cesar R M

If you look at old pictures MK had more trees in the past. I don't know if they were removed due to issues with the roots or just because they over grew their locations. Main Street in particular at one time was lined with trees. I think they probably ruined fireworks viewing or something so they got removed. This site has some good pictures from 1989:
http://www.burnsland.com/adventures/2013/04/looking-back-magic-kingdom-in-1989/
they unfortunately also removed a lot of shadows to rest and escape the sun.
I think its a clever way to force the guests into the stores (like the emporium) when the temps and sun are in skin-burning levels.

RandySavage

^Good, depressing point. Of the innumerable injuries the WDW of my formative years has endured, one of the most heinous for me (just behind the Massacre of Classic Future World) has been the de-treeing of the MK. Pics like those on burnsland are a sad reminder of how beautifully park-like Town Square and the Hub were. What I really loved about my first trip to DL in 2011 was that the park felt like an arboretum - full of big trees.

So bring on the trees, New Fantasyland, and let them grow. Regarding forced perspective and trees, things like the 7DMT (and HKDL's Grizzly Mtn) strike me more as rock outcroppings or hillocks, versus an Everest or Matterhorn which have the tougher job of trying to emulate mountains.

kap91

I think the main complaint about Mermaid, is the fact that the mechanics of the "show" are apparent, especially in the "under the sea" scene. Most (if not all) of the MK's attractions do a MUCH better job of hiding those elements. The designers of Mermaid (especially the main show scene) seem to have completely disregarded the fact that the ceilings, catwalks, lighting, etc....were all installed without thought of disguising those elements. As far as the "story" of the attraction, we can argue about how linear it is, or whether certain scenes should have been added or deleted, but as for attraction "quality", the immersive aspect of the attraction really isn't there. If those elements had been dealt with, I think the complaint factor would drop substantially.

I agree completely with this but I always thought it was a conscious (but misguided) art direction decision - its been a trend in the past 10 years or so with broadway shows (and to an extent rides such as Cat in the Hat) to show the equipment that traditionally was hidden.

kap91

The big trees are ruining the force perspective IMO

The bigger the trees the better...Artistic License. The trees by the matterhorn in Disneyland are huge and makes the whole area beautiful and shaded. The mountain is still going to look big. Personally I wish the trees here were bigger (you know like the ones in the concept art that are like 200' tall), but I'll take any foilage I can get.

Bocabear

I agree completely with this but I always thought it was a conscious (but misguided) art direction decision - its been a trend in the past 10 years or so with broadway shows (and to an extent rides such as Cat in the Hat) to show the equipment that traditionally was hidden.
I think you are absolutely right...it was a conscious art direction decision....and completely misguided....I am sure it could be solved too...if they care to do it.

wdwgreek

I feel like if the tree's were smaller people would be upset the tree's are too small and look fake, and now they are to big. I say lets wait to see the finished product before jumping to say the furnishings and area themeing does not work well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom