Mine Ride Construction Update

DManRightHere

I think the main complaint about Mermaid, is the fact that the mechanics of the "show" are apparent, especially in the "under the sea" scene. Most (if not all) of the MK's attractions do a MUCH better job of hiding those elements. The designers of Mermaid (especially the main show scene) seem to have completely disregarded the fact that the ceilings, catwalks, lighting, etc....were all installed without thought of disguising those elements. As far as the "story" of the attraction, we can argue about how linear it is, or whether certain scenes should have been added or deleted, but as for attraction "quality", the immersive aspect of the attraction really isn't there. If those elements had been dealt with, I think the complaint factor would drop substantially.

You know, your completely right. They could add a rock overhang in that big room in front of the ride track to hide all that stuff. First thing I noticed in there was the disco ball. Some cooler lighting like the bubble ecfect in that big room may help too. The ride really isnt bad. Ariels face looks kinda weird, the fish going into the big room need to move, blink or something! Fix the big room lighting and sight issues may make it a lot better.

ABQ

Thanks for posting that video @orky8 , I hadn't realized apparently just how deep the ride goes, take note at the :50 second mark or so. Not saying that means this will be an E ticket unlike everyone claims, but it does allow for it to be far more intricate and entertaining than the kiddie coaster so many on this forum have called this, even without every once riding it.

NormC

That's understandable to a point - but they've started using just "2014" - it was previously "early 2014" and now just "2014" - it's not like this is some groundbreaking never-before-attempted thing here. It's a kiddie coaster with free-swinging cars. At this stage in the game, they should have a firm handle on its opening timeframe.

And the new rumor about Uni opening a family coaster in IOA by late 2014? Hilarious. SDMT should have opened with the rest of Fantasyland in 2012.
It has been Spring 2014 since the beginning and they are still on schedule.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Confused.... where would a Repunzal M&G go? And doesn't she have a dedicated side on Princess Fairytale Hall or would that become "Aurora & friend"?

I have wondered this also. Part of the reason for building the Tangled area was to help with the traffic flow in that area. I can't see how a M&G could be added without causing more congestion there.

WDWYankee15

Confused.... where would a Repunzal M&G go? And doesn't she have a dedicated side on Princess Fairytale Hall or would that become "Aurora & friend"?
The other side of PFH is decorated with Roses for "Briar Rose" aka Aurora. I had read a while back that the other side was always designed for Aurora, but that with the popularity of Rapunzel and not making a meet and greet for her by her tower, they needed to make a change and give her the other side. There has been speculation that Aurora would eventually take back over as the more "classic" character in PFH, when they decided to do something with Rapunzel or her popularity died down. Since her popularity has not died down at all, I think they are finally moving back ahead with the plans for a M&G over by her tower.

This is what I am hoping for, but also praying that this doesn't cause a new traffic nightmare. I am also suprised they would consider bring Flynn back. A nice addition and good for the boys to be able to meet him while they get dragged along with their sisters to princess M&G's. If you remember the title of the movie was changed from Rapunzel to "Tangled" and the adventure side of things with Flynn Rider were played up to appeal to more boys and a family audience after "Princess and the Frog" did not do as well at the box office, especially with young males.

I am excited to hear more and I am glad @Rose&Crowner has shared his knowledge as I know he has been very spot on in the past (specifically with the exact date Rapunzel's Tower was delivered and installed). Thanks for sharing.

doctornick

The other side of PFH is decorated with Roses for "Briar Rose" aka Aurora. I had read a while back that the other side was always designed for Aurora, but that with the popularity of Rapunzel and not making a meet and greet for her by her tower, they needed to make a change and give her the other side. There has been speculation that Aurora would eventually take back over as the more "classic" character in PFH, when they decided to do something with Rapunzel or her popularity died down. Since her popularity has not died down at all, I think they are finally moving back ahead with the plans for a M&G over by her tower.

It certainly would make sense to have Aurora be the "lead" character in the non-Cindy half of PFH. That seemed to be the original plan and, as mentioned, they decor seems to reflect that she is meant to host that half.

But the flip side is that Rapunzel is very popular. If she gets some outdoor M&G near the tower -- would be a nice addition to that area and justify the bathroom decor a bit -- then I wonder how they will handle the inevitable long lines. That is going to be very popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom