Mine Ride Construction Update

djkidkaz

I don't even think of this as a coaster. I've always looked at it as a dark ride with indoor and outdoor portions that will be nicely themed. It just so happens that it uses coaster track to move the vehicles through the show scenes.

Sped2424

I don't even think of this as a coaster. I've always looked at it as a dark ride with indoor and outdoor portions that will be nicely themed. It just so happens that it uses coaster track to move the vehicles through the show scenes.

I think of it more as hybrid as its not long enough in both departments to really be either! But im excited for this ride I really think its going to put some energy into NFL

AEfx

I think that may be setting up for disappointment.

That was my original hope as well, but just about all evidence goes to it's a mini-coaster with a couple of very short show scenes.

I still hold out some hope that the Witch will make an appearance, since SWSA was my favorite ride of all time, and she was my favorite part - but even that is a pipe dream.

I'm sure it will be cute and I will like it for what it is (though the swaying thing is a minus to me - I like roller coasters, but a Tilt A Whirl does me in, so I'm hoping the motion isn't that bad) - but I think if we call it a dark ride with outside portions, we will be disappointed.

disneypearl

I think that may be setting up for disappointment.

That was my original hope as well, but just about all evidence goes to it's a mini-coaster with a couple of very short show scenes.

I still hold out some hope that the Witch will make an appearance, since SWSA was my favorite ride of all time, and she was my favorite part - but even that is a pipe dream.

I'm sure it will be cute and I will like it for what it is (though the swaying thing is a minus to me - I like roller coasters, but a Tilt A Whirl does me in, so I'm hoping the motion isn't that bad) - but I think if we call it a dark ride with outside portions, we will be disappointed.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed. I also worry about the swaying and the motion that it will bring. I hope that the swaying will be partly ride controled so that any other passangers in your mine car won't be swaying it the entire ride.

G00fyDad

I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed. I also worry about the swaying and the motion that it will bring. I hope that the swaying will be partly ride controled so that any other passangers in your mine car won't be swaying it the entire ride.

The other passengers will have nothing to do with how it sways other than their individual weight.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
It's too bad that a new multi-level version of Snow Whites Scary Adventures couldn't have been intertwined with the Mine Train ride. Like the outdoor portion of Alice at DL, it could've weaved in and out of the mountain and actually shared some show scenes with the Mine Train. (The outdoor portions could have been constructed so that they were actually covered with cliffs, etc....for periods of inclement weather.) The combined elements of two different attractions would have made a really interesting addition.

Victor Kelly

We will just have to wait and see. It looks to be crammed into a too small space. It will have to be slow to reach that time mark of 3 minutes, but 2 to 2.5 minutes may be about it. About the length of the original Snow White ride that has ben closed

Rob562

The other passengers will have nothing to do with how it sways other than their individual weight.

I think it'll depend on how heavy the cars are vs. the weight of the guests inside it, plus with how much the guests will be able to shift their weight in the seats. I could easily see four coordinated adults in the car being able to shift their upper bodies back and forth to enhance the swinging motion more as they go along the track.

But if the cars themselves are very heavy, the slight change in the center of mass of the passengers won't make much difference.

-Rob

Pixiedustmaker

It's too bad that a new multi-level version of Snow Whites Scary Adventures couldn't have been intertwined with the Mine Train ride. Like the outdoor portion of Alice at DL, it could've weaved in and out of the mountain and actually shared some show scenes with the Mine Train. (The outdoor portions could have been constructed so that they were actually covered with cliffs, etc....for periods of inclement weather.) The combined elements of two different attractions would have made a really interesting addition.

That's an interesting idea, I had the exact same thought about Everest. Since you're building a gigantic mountain for a roller coaster, why not use some of that space, around the mountain, and perhaps some inside the mountain, to add a D ticket for younger kids who might shy away from EE. The Everest rock work looks good, would be a nice setting for D ticket.

There are going to be some little kids who take a lot at the swinging mine train carts and say, "no thank you." Or perhaps some adults who'd like to relive a bit more of the story than just what is in the ride.

My initial feelings were that 7DMT should have had a section of track which goes under a walkway (via a mine tunnel of course), to a show building with a decent number of show scenes. Perhaps it would have made more sense to put in a dark ride, with the mine train and have the mine train share some scenes with the dark ride.

Pretty cool idea.

Ironically, some guests complain about the witch in SWSA, and this ride was replaced with a mine train ride that probably would drive away smaller kids who would be afraid of the witch anyway, though I do believe that based on hints from imagineers that the witch will be in the ride, however briefly.

Pixiedustmaker

I could easily see four coordinated adults in the car being able to shift their upper bodies back and forth to enhance the swinging motion more as they go along the track.

But if the cars themselves are very heavy, the slight change in the center of mass of the passengers won't make much difference.

I remember making the skyway cars really swing as a kid by shifting our weight around.

I guess for 7DMT you have to lean with the swaying motion, though this may be very hard to do given how fast the carts may sway, and the difficulty of shifting your weight on a moving ride.

4 passengers in a cart, and if you had 4 . . . heavy guests, you could be looking at +900 lbs. I doubt that the cart will weigh that much, but the center of gravity will be different with four football players, versus four small kids, due mostly due to the height difference.

If a guy with a 7,000 lbs pound head get on the cart, as the bottom of the cart pitch upward to the left, the guy's head will move to the right (assuming at axis of rotation about at the bottom of the rib cage), and the downward force of 7,000 lbs will accelerate the rotation of the cart upward and to the left, hence a more dramatic swing.

So, if you get guests who are "top" heavy, i.e. more apple shaped than pear shaped, you get more swinging, IMHO. Of course, more mass in the cart means more potential energy at the top of the lift hill, and more momentum when the cart swings, so also a bit more swinging.

A big question is how is the swinging of the cart restricted? You can't have the cart bang into a metal bar . . . eventually the stress would cause fractures. Two options:

1. No restrictions. No sure if this would be feasible, if the carts's center of gravity was below the axis of rotation, much less possibility of the cart doing a 360 . . . or even getting close. But you might be right that the carts are especially heavy to keep the center of gravity low, but the easiest thing to do would be to raise the axis of rotation up, than the center of gravity down. No need for heavy carts and the stress on the ride.
2. They are testing "gaskets" which provide friction, hence a dampening effect between the cart and the train.

Pixiedustmaker

Depends on their body distribution as well, a 10 foot tall guy with a 7,000 lbs head would really raise the center of mass above the axis of rotation, and the cart might well, "tip over", during a rotation. Take that scenario and just work down from there, same principle.

One way you could increase the swinging motion, by a small amount, would be to raise your arms . . . or maybe smuggle 40 lbs. weights to raise over your head! Just kidding, but if everybody stood up on the ride (or better got up on the seats) when it was swinging, you could probably get a cart to do close to 180, assuming the swinging motion isn't restricted (dampened).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom