Mine Ride Construction Update

Pixiedustmaker

View attachment 29039 Ok...here's the display model, which reflects the current version of the ride.
Note: No sign of dwarfs on a log on the east end. Regular bridge over the water feature on the west end.

The large water feature is on the west/north-west end near BoG. The track does have an upper-level bridge for the loop, but it also crosses over the water feature much closer to the ground/over the stream coming from the water fall. You obviously, can't see it from this point of view, and I hope you can clearly see the need for *two* "bridges" on the west side.

(Not my doodle)

layout3.jpg

View attachment 29039
If the witch is in the ride, she must be part of one of the interior show scenes. Certainly not in the mine scene, perhaps in the scene on lift B. But again, since the ride is not telling the story of the movie, I was initially told she did not make an appearance, and SW would only be a quick cameo in the final scene.

I wouldn't say that a witch animatronic has to 100% be in an interior scene. Plenty of Disney animatronics are placed in the elements, plus the witch could have an artificial tree/rock structure built over her, and not be much more than a shroud, a hand (to hold the apple basket), and a little bit of a face, with limited motion. Of course the signature piece would be a crackle triggered when the cars go by.

lazyboy97o

The large water feature is on the west/north-west end near BoG. The track does have an upper-level bridge for the loop, but it also crosses over the water feature much closer to the ground/over the stream coming from the water fall. You obviously, can't see it from this point of view, and I hope you can clearly see the need for *two* "bridges" on the west side.

(Not my doodle)

layout3.jpg

The layout drawing was made by @Lee.

Pixiedustmaker

If you look at the aerial, you can see the cement "tub" for the waterfall, river . . . it's pretty wide! I'm thinking maybe 10-15 feet. I think you can see the footing for the lower crossing of the track (over this 'river') on the north side of it . . . I'm 95% sure they'll build a log here, what a view for guests on the bridge!

Fantasyland_Full_17824.jpg

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/ElementGalleryItems/attractions/Fullsize/Fantasyland_Full_17824.jpg (Go here to zoom in)

:) Looks like the log-bridge might well be a go! I bet that somebody gets some photos of some very interesting "rockwork" that looks a lot like a log here in the future!

matt9112

@Lee with what you know,expect i know its billed as something between big thunder and goofy but will the ride be fun for us adults to any degree?

Pixiedustmaker

i think the swinging cars is used right will add a lot of fun and thrill to the coaster.

I think that hitting the following stretch of track in car that swings back and forth will be a lot of fun:

wdw_monstrous_summer_15.jpg

7DMT is no Splash Mountain, the amount of show scenes/story is kinda between Splash and BTMRR in my mind. But it has great novelty with the swinging action, and I think it might look "prettier" than BTMRR . . . I think it will be as popular as BTMRR because you're going to have guests entering NFL and seeing all of these swinging mine cart trains. I think they should have built it back against the periphery of 7DMT, more show scenes, but more room for the queue . . . this thing may well have a temporary/permanent queue line that stretches a decent amount around it's perimeter.

In terms of thrills, BTMRR has some dips and and turns, but this ride promises a whole new level of fun with the swinging action . . . I think it will look pretty amazing.

Skibum1970

I think that hitting the following stretch of track in car that swings back and forth will be a lot of fun:

7DMT is no Splash Mountain, the amount of show scenes/story is kinda between Splash and BTMRR in my mind. But it has great novelty with the swinging action, and I think it might look "prettier" than BTMRR . . . I think it will be as popular as BTMRR because you're going to have guests entering NFL and seeing all of these swinging mine cart trains. I think they should have built it back against the periphery of 7DMT, more show scenes, but more room for the queue . . . this thing may well have a temporary/permanent queue line that stretches a decent amount around it's perimeter.

In terms of thrills, BTMRR has some dips and and turns, but this ride promises a whole new level of fun with the swinging action . . . I think it will look pretty amazing.

It will also be very popular by virtue of being a roller coaster right in the center of Fantasy land. I agree that it looks amazing and think that the final product will look even better.

Lee

Adventurer

(Not my doodle)
Yeah, it's my doodle.;)

I am well aware that the track crosses the water feature twice.
The first is at the bottom of the drop out of the mine as the track begins it's turn into the upward helix.
This crossing is done during a curve, with a bridge walkway to the right.

The second, upper crossing is the main bridge. It is shown in the pre-vis video above and on the model as a normal, wooden bridge.
7dmr bridges.jpg

bridge.jpg

Again, it is my understanding that the "log bridge" part of the track was only a concept piece, and didn't make it into the final design. Time will tell, of course. Shouldn't be long before they theme that one section of track.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
It's really hard to compare it to those two.

Just go with themed as nicely as BTM, but much shorter.
Longer, and much more thrilling than Barnstormer.
I'd settle for "more comfortable" than Barnstormer - absolutely the most uncomfortable ride in MK. Thought I busted my tailbone last time I rode it.

AndyMagic

Don't get too excited by this picture. The trains will be travelling at such a slow speed that the swinging will be minimal. If T&A reveals that the cars swing wildly in this section they'll be sure to put in trim breaks to slow the train down even more. I'm shocked the "swinging" cars ever made it past the drawing board. Judging by Disney's recent maintenance track record, it wouldn't shock me to see the swinging halted within a year of opening anyway due to something along the lines of "minor structural damage caused by excessive lateral forces." Ring a bell?

Pixiedustmaker

Don't get too excited by this picture. The trains will be travelling at such a slow speed that the swinging will be minimal.

. . .

it wouldn't shock me to see the swinging halted within a year of opening anyway due to something along the lines of "minor structural damage caused by excessive lateral forces." Ring a bell?

I figure that even if the absolute speed is slow, the accelerations/changes in direction due to the swinging will produce a unique effect, you might even feel that the cart you're in is going to hit the side of cliff or wall.

I also kinda wonder about the longterm structural integrity of this ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't get too excited by this picture. The trains will be travelling at such a slow speed that the swinging will be minimal. If T&A reveals that the cars swing wildly in this section they'll be sure to put in trim breaks to slow the train down even more. I'm shocked the "swinging" cars ever made it past the drawing board. Judging by Disney's recent maintenance track record, it wouldn't shock me to see the swinging halted within a year of opening anyway due to something along the lines of "minor structural damage caused by excessive lateral forces." Ring a bell?

I am not so sure that it would be possible to turn off the swinging. If the ride is designed taking the swinging into account it may not be possible to get an acceptable ride out of it with the swinging disabled.

Tom

Beta Return
I am not so sure that it would be possible to turn off the swinging. If the ride is designed taking the swinging into account it may not be possible to get an acceptable ride out of it with the swinging disabled.

I agree....but how long until the mechanical failures and lack of upkeep mean the ride is down more often than Test Track is?

Pixiedustmaker

It appears as the axis of rotation for the carts is close to the expected average center of gravity when guests are seated in the carts. If so, the only issue is that some of the potential energy of the mine car at the top of the lift hill is used to effect the swinging action (and it doesn't drastically alter the resistance between the car and track), hence slowing the mine car down a bit. I'm guessing that the energy required to swing the mine car is probably pretty small, and most likely the non-swinging car would travel at the approximately the same velocity as the swinging car. Kinetic energy is 1/2mv2, the velocity of the swinging action is small compared to the forward velocity of the mine cart, so not a lot of potential energy is "stolen", on a percentage basis.

I think the big issue is the shearing forces on the track, and the track seems to be structurally reinforced in areas (S-curves) where the swinging is greatest, and hence where a small difference between the axis of rotation and center of gravity is magnified in terms of the net forces involved.

Pixiedustmaker

I agree....but how long until the mechanical failures and lack of upkeep mean the ride is down more often than Test Track is?

If the carts, for example, swung well above/below the center of gravity of the cart at rest, then you'd get an effect whereby the cart was trying to pivot off one rail. I would expect that this would strain the wheel system of the cart, and could increase the resistance if severe.

Looking at the carts, it seems that the swinging motion about the axis of rotation sort of cancels itself out, the upper body goes to one side, the legs go to the other. The tops of the cart might well be weighted specially to make the axis of rotation is close to the expected center of gravity.

Obviously, if you get a train full of little kids, their heads barely reaching the minimum height, then the center of gravity might shift below the axis of rotation, and you might get some shearing forces. I guess this is why the track is structurally reinforced.

As a thought experiment, if you filled the bottom of a train with lead bars, so that it weighed much more than when guests are on board, and sent it down the track . . . you might be able to rip off a cart off the track. You had thousands of pound of weight swinging out on one side of the cart, and nothing on the other. Of course, an exaggerated "bank" to the track helps negate such forces, as your using gravity to push the cart in the other direction.

Actually, given the bank of the track, it would be permissible/desirable to have the axis of rotation a bit above the center of gravity, and this might well be accounted for in the computer model.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom