Mine Ride Construction Update

Tom

Beta Return
I'm looking at as if it was going back up, but I see the cables now. Also, I've got a construction update from 6/29 on my site:
http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/2013/06/30/magic-kingdom-construction-update-6-29-2013

Interesting. I do see the cables now. I bet they were using them for a controlled descent, as the system probably wasn't ready for physics to take control just yet (and perhaps because it was just a 1-car train and may not have had the mass to get itself to the next set of brakes anyway).

Pixiedustmaker

Once the areas directly surrounding the track are clear, and they can consolidate the construction area, there is no reason to wait. As of right now the main piece left is the queue area which won't directly affect the ride and can be safely built while minor tests are going on. I agree full test runs would not occur while the construction crew is working on the area, but once they consolidate the work area to primarily the queue in a couple months, they could coordinate test runs safely while a section of the attraction is still being worked on.

Legal-wise, I doubt Disney Legal would let castmembers on the attraction if the queue was *not* finished, forcing them to board and exit the trains from a improvised area. Why risk a twisted ankle? A broken bone? The ride's queue is designed for the safe exit and entry of passengers, makes sense in my mind to wait until the ride is finished. They budgeted a testing period into the project, and even if they wanted to shortened this, they'll need to run the attraction for weeks and weeks to make sure there aren't any 'loose bolts' that will become apparent after being on a regular use schedule.

I also doubt that they will "localize" construction work for the queue, thus working on the queue last . . . it is much easier to have the whole construction site open and let teams work around each other. The work on the queue will go in layers, no need to hold off something if they're paying for somebody's time. Nonetheless . . . I could see a construction accident happening, such as workers carrying equipment to the queue, perhaps dropping something on the track, falling on the track, not knowing that testing was occurring. No need to make a difficult project any harder, they'll wait until the mountain is done before using castmembers, IMHO.

Pixiedustmaker

We'll know if testing with humans is coming when we start hearing that they're running these "feeler" cars through, and then water dummies.

From the photo it looks like the "feeler" car on EE is stopped because on the bottom right you've got the whiskers, hitting the rockwork (maybe). Seems like they ran the whisker car through the ride when they still had the scaffolding up so they could easily correct any protruding rockwork.

I would guess same thing with 7DMT, they got rockwork folks on the mountain, run the whisker car through now, and if there are any adjustments to be made, now is the time. So, I think that the timing of the whisker car is more that now is the most convenient time in the construction cycle, not that CMs are close to taking a spin on 7DMT.

Just a guess on my part. I figure it will be months before CMs get anywhere close to the site.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
From the photo it looks like the "feeler" car on EE is stopped because on the bottom right you've got the whiskers, hitting the rockwork (maybe). Seems like they ran the whisker car through the ride when they still had the scaffolding up so they could easily correct any protruding rockwork.

I would guess same thing with 7DMT, they got rockwork folks on the mountain, run the whisker car through now, and if there are any adjustments to be made, now is the time. So, I think that the timing of the whisker car is more that now is the most convenient time in the construction cycle, not that CMs are close to taking a spin on 7DMT.

Just a guess on my part. I figure it will be months before CMs get anywhere close to the site.

Very good point, especially since this is toothpick scaffolding which you can't really put back up once it's down.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm looking at as if it was going back up, but I see the cables now. Also, I've got a construction update from 6/29 on my site:
http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/2013/06/30/magic-kingdom-construction-update-6-29-2013

Looks like the details mine entrance is starting to take share.
r-1372636490-MineTrain062913_17.jpg

RSoxNo1

I'm catching up on old D23 magazines, and in the Winter 2012 Issue it says that there will be 5 cars per train. I was under the impression that there were going to be 6 cars per train, did something change?

Considering a cycle time of 4-5 minutes this still brings the capacity in the 1200-1400 range assuming four cars operating at once. I believe I had also read that there will be five cars available.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm catching up on old D23 magazines, and in the Winter 2012 Issue it says that there will be 5 cars per train. I was under the impression that there were going to be 6 cars per train, did something change?

Considering a cycle time of 4-5 minutes this still brings the capacity in the 1200-1400 range assuming four cars operating at once. I believe I had also read that there will be five cars available.

I hadn't heard anything about the number of cars per train. With the rather short length of the ride do you think it will accommodate 4 trains at once? I could definitely see three, one between load and the first lift, one between the first lift and second, and one between the second lift and unload.

Rob562

I hadn't heard anything about the number of cars per train. With the rather short length of the ride do you think it will accommodate 4 trains at once? I could definitely see three, one between load and the first lift, one between the first lift and second, and one between the second lift and unload.

Operationally the maximum number of trains that can run is the number of block zones minus 1. Each zone is a length of track with a way of stopping the train before it leaves the end of the zone, via either a brake or lifthill.
So my assumption on zones would be: Unload, Load, first section including first lift, second section including mine scene and second lift, third section through a brake zone before Unload, making 5 zones. That would mean that 4 trains could operate at one time.
If the mine scene before the second lift can operate as its own zone, that would mean 6 zones, 5 trains.

Of course *physical* maximum number of trains doesn't mean that that many trains will actually run at once. The timing of scenes can get messed up with too many trains, and any minor stoppage in-station would mean a very quick cascade of trains stopping at the end of zones. (Like how Space Mountain cascade E-stops if a train sits too long at Load or Unload for more than a minute) So the actual operation of the Mine train could be # of zones minus 2.

-Rob

SJN1279

3.5 minutes seems a good length for a coaster. Any longer and you run the risk of hurling :)

Pixiedustmaker

Very good point, especially since this is toothpick scaffolding which you can't really put back up once it's down.

Riding a roller coaster through a construction area could be a ride in itself.

I can't help but recall how they were going to put the "Excavator" in Animal Kingdom. Not exactly a construction site, but the could certainly have scaffolding, tools and animatronic workers. Perhaps even a close call with some scaffolding that is falling over.

excavator1.jpg

India Jones in Disneyland has a lot of great props that are used to build the story of present archaeological activity happening inside the temple. Disney's America was supposed to have a factory-land, I think with a ride through a steel factory.

america%2B3.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
3.5 minutes seems a good length for a coaster. Any longer and you run the risk of hurling :)

Where did you hear it would be 3.5 minutes? I think this was discussed around here a while back and I believe @Lee indicated that it would be shorter the that. I traced out the rough route of the track in Google Earth and it came out to be .37 miles. In comparision, MK's Big Thunder is .52 miles long has three lift hills instead of two and clocks in at 3:30.

Pixiedustmaker

I wonder if they're going to do the mine car over a fallen log thing, a feature of this ride I am most looking forward to. If it really is the Seven Dwarf's story, then you wouldn't expect to see a wooden bridge out in the wilderness around their mine.

Disney-Seven-Dwarfs-Mine-Train.jpg

doctornick

Where did you hear it would be 3.5 minutes? I think this was discussed around here a while back and I believe @Lee indicated that it would be shorter the that. I traced out the rough route of the track in Google Earth and it came out to be .37 miles. In comparision, MK's Big Thunder is .52 miles long has three lift hills instead of two and clocks in at 3:30.

The 3.5 min length is from here: http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10053420.asp

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder if they're going to do the mine car over a fallen log thing, a feature of this ride I am most looking forward to. If it really is the Seven Dwarf's story, then you wouldn't expect to see a wooden bridge out in the wilderness around their mine.

Wish we could get some new aerials. You probably figure out if this was going to happen or not from the aerial.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Thanks, that's good to know.

That link also has a quote about the numbers of cars:

"Chad Stahnick (Project Manager)
Each of the trains has about 5 carts on the train "

I would take this to mean that they haven't decided exactly how many cars there will be per train.

Pixiedustmaker

Wish we could get some new aerials. You probably figure out if this was going to happen or not from the aerial.

I kinda doubt that they'll put in this log/waterfall feature, as it seems this version of 7DMT doesn't have a lot of space to work with, and it seems kinda value engineered.

I'm not getting my hopes up, though one can always hope . . .

It seems like a lot of the stuff in NFL got a tighter budget than some would have liked:

Mermaid: no interior upgrades from a mediocre ride in DCA, IMHO.
BoG: Awesome restaurant, best part of NFL for me, though why built a fancy BatB restaurant and not put in an animatronic Lumiere inside the restaurant? Or have a mini-show with animatronic figures singing "Be Our Guest"?
EtwB: Not a lot of skimping here, great effects and well done.
7DMT: The foot-print was for some meet and greets, so I think they tried to squeeze a very good ride into this space, but they didn't go with building a massive basement to add more show scenes. As MK is built on the "second story" above the utilidors, I don't think there would have been any water issues. Splash is something like 10 minutes long, and it tells a story. 7DMT seems to be just a Dwaf cameo . . .

GoofGoof

Premium Member

My guess would be the slower speed could make the ride a little longer, but not enough to make up for that distance. Maybe the lift hills will be slower and/or there are some slow moving parts during the indoor show scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom