Mine Ride Construction Update

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Am I right (oohhhh college physics classes seem so long ago) that realistically, the "swaying" motion on this coaster is going to be much more pronounced during the sections of track directly after one of the banked turns than the motion during the turn itself?

Pixiedustmaker

I think over banking will not be an issue. If the motion is on hydraulic pistons or shocks that will limit the range of motion to a maximum point. As I understand it, the range of sway will be partially influenced by weight. Much the same as when you come down the last hill on Splash. More weight in the front and it digs into the water more and you get more splash.

The restraint system will also be very secure as well. I expect them to have a lengthy testing period as well as long soft opening.

I believe this is called a dampened oscillation. Mater's in Carsland uses springs to dampen the swinging oscillations. I'm thinking WDI may have put in some industrial springs/some sort of resistance to dampen the oscillations, which would lessen the stress on the track.

Pixiedustmaker

Am I right (oohhhh college physics classes seem so long ago) that realistically, the "swaying" motion on this coaster is going to be much more pronounced during the sections of track directly after one of the banked turns than the motion during the turn itself?

A body in motion . . . the thing that will make the car swing is a change in motion, the imagineers noted that "S" curves are the most fun, in terms of really getting the cart swining . . . A turn in itself wouldn't produce that much swinging effect, but when you come out of the turn (a change in motion), the cart's momentum will try to continue in a different direction . . . stress on the cart's axel's, but also swinging.

Pixiedustmaker

If you put a can filled with liquid into the drink holder, the can will remain relatively still compared to the horizon as the boat rocks back and forth. So, as the "train" enters a high bank corner the wheels base will move more toward vertical than the swinging car. It will actually have a dampening effect.

A body at rest tends to stay at rest . . . very good practical description of Newton's First Law.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
A body in motion . . . the thing that will make the car swing is a change in motion, the imagineers noted that "S" curves are the most fun, in terms of really getting the cart swining . . . A turn in itself wouldn't produce that much swinging effect, but when you come out of the turn (a change in motion), the cart's momentum will try to continue in a different direction . . . stress on the cart's axel's, but also swinging.

In the picture I posted earlier on the left side you can see that the angle of the track changes direction right before the cars enter (or leave) the loop, so you should get some nice swinging action there.

0418ZX_0084KP-640x438.jpg

Victor Kelly

I believe this is called a dampened oscillation. Mater's in Carsland uses springs to dampen the swinging oscillations. I'm thinking WDI may have put in some industrial springs/some sort of resistance to dampen the oscillations, which would lessen the stress on the track.[/quote

Thanks I don't know the terminology, never did physics classes. Just semi know what is going on.

dman1373

I just saw the picture of the first Mine Train car posted on WDW Magic's front page. So cool! Does the lantern in front of the car light up?

Im sure of it. and that reminds me, when are they going to install the lights in the little mermaid area of the ride. Cause once that happens, you know its going to open.

Mike730

In the picture I posted earlier on the left side you can see that the angle of the track changes direction right before the cars enter (or leave) the loop, so you should get some nice swinging action there.

0418ZX_0084KP-640x438.jpg

You're definitely right about the swinging coming after the turn. Banked turns attempt to transfer the load straight through the bank (as apposed to 'with the direction of gravity') to the ground, so the track would generally be parallel to the force (or fictional force if I really want to digress...). This being said, I would assume that the carts, depending on their ability to swing, would for the most part follow the curve like a non swinging coaster with perhaps a bit of extra 'outward' swing, depending again on their ability to swing and factors like speed and the radius of the curve. The fun seems to really come into place after the bank has ended, but the cart is still banked, leaving it to swing back and forth towards its resting place.

For all we know, the swing may wind up being entirely hydraulic. In this way they could design to swing exactly as they would like to, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

It should also be fun to see the track bank before you do, so that you're kinda floating.

Pixiedustmaker

That is an extremely long "test and adjust" period.

Given the novelty of the roller coaster, first swinging bucket type coaster, I'm sure Disney legal wants to make sure that the attraction has been thoroughly tested before a guest tries to claim that the ride gave them whip-lash or something.

There's also the issue of getting the dampening of the swinging mechanism just right. Not dampened enough and the cart may slam when it swings too far. They'll probably want to test every day for months to see how it holds up to prolonged use.

The design firm that did the new Matterhorn bobsleds didn't do the best job in the world, I'm sure that some of testing will occur before the track is operational on just the design of the ride vehicle.

Testing probably won't start on the track at the end of July, but the nice big window frame is also possibly per Disney legal so they don't have to go back and ask CM's to sign waivers.

po1998

Visited MK on 6/24. Can't believe how slow things are moving on this. Not sure if construction is intentionally being slowed down, but either way, what a joke.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Given the novelty of the roller coaster, first swinging bucket type coaster, I'm sure Disney legal wants to make sure that the attraction has been thoroughly tested before a guest tries to claim that the ride gave them whip-lash or something.

There's also the issue of getting the dampening of the swinging mechanism just right. Not dampened enough and the cart may slam when it swings too far. They'll probably want to test every day for months to see how it holds up to prolonged use.

The design firm that did the new Matterhorn bobsleds didn't do the best job in the world, I'm sure that some of testing will occur before the track is operational on just the design of the ride vehicle.

Testing probably won't start on the track at the end of July, but the nice big window frame is also possibly per Disney legal so they don't have to go back and ask CM's to sign waivers.

Yeah, I agree there would be a lot of testing, but you would do a lot of that with water dummies, you aren't going to risk real people until you are sure it's safe. I also don't see them starting at the end of July, there are just to many places where they are going work that obstructs the track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom