Mine Ride Construction Update

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
485556_10151432081972601_307671210_n.jpg

Found this on a Twitter search.

Looks like they just opened a stroller parking area.

Sped2424

Speaking of strollers how do parents feel about the overabundance of strollers in the parks? Me not being one I feel like I really shouldn't be mad at the abundance but sometimes I just feel they are a bit, excessive on some days.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Great photos WDWBryan.
Nothing like all those strollers junking up the place, though.
We didn't take our boys to Disney for the first time until they were 7 & 8, for this exact reason. I wanted them to be old enough to enjoy and remember the trip; young enough to still be enchanted; energetic enough to put in a full day, under their OWN STEAM; tall enough to ride any attraction they wanted; and past the picky eater stage.
I understand to each his own, but when I see families with little kids in double-wides with multiple diaper bags slung over the handles, I say "Thank you Lord, that's not me". No flames please - as I said, that's how I feel.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Speaking of strollers how do parents feel about the overabundance of strollers in the parks? Me not being one I feel like I really shouldn't be mad at the abundance but sometimes I just feel they are a bit, excessive on some days.

Here's my take. I've been to Disney many times as a teen/young adult before kids. I never really noticed or cared much about strollers. I guess I knew they were there, but it didn't bug me that much and before I had kids I was not very good at judging young kids ages so I never noticed age inappropriate kids in strollers. We had PI back then so every night at least we could enter the stroller free zone for a few hours:).

Flash forward to now. I have 2 young kids and have been to WDW several times with them. We always brought a stroller. I guess having one myself I notice them a lot more now. Not sure if there really are more strollers than in the past or if its just that I notice them more now. I can say for sure as a parent that I wouldn't have brought my kids to WDW without a stroller at the ages they were (both under 6). If they banned strollers I just wouldn't go. I think MK has the most strollers since it has the most to do for little kids. Universal has less of a stroller congestion issue and also less rides for little kids. Been to Vegas a lot in my younger days too. Never saw a stroller the entire time there;). What I'm saying is the number of strollers is directly correlated to the amount of things to do for little kids. MK is a truly amazing and magical place when you can view it through the eyes of a 4 year old.

Slowjack

We've taken my daughter twice, both times with strollers. There's no doubt that stroller use has increased quite a bit over the years. The sheer number of strollers parked at the foot of the Peoplemover can be staggering to behold. Clearly WDW and MK in general skews younger than it did previously. I remember going as a six year old (in '76) and that being young for a WDW guest. Like many very young guests at the time I had an older sibling. I thiknk the difference now is that many children are being taken without older siblings and before they can form any serious desire to visit WDW on their own, and that's because the parents want to go. I freely admit that my daughter's first two visits were more for us the parents than for her. It's sort of the vacation equivalent of showing your child the films from your own childhood, even though your child is younger than you were when you first saw them.

I guess what I'm saying is that I find the number of strollers excessive, but it's symptomatic of a larger issue, and I've been part of the problem. :)

Sped2424

We've taken my daughter twice, both times with strollers. There's no doubt that stroller use has increased quite a bit over the years. The sheer number of strollers parked at the foot of the Peoplemover can be staggering to behold. Clearly WDW and MK in general skews younger than it did previously. I remember going as a six year old (in '76) and that being young for a WDW guest. Like many very young guests at the time I had an older sibling. I thiknk the difference now is that many children are being taken without older siblings and before they can form any serious desire to visit WDW on their own, and that's because the parents want to go. I freely admit that my daughter's first two visits were more for us the parents than for her. It's sort of the vacation equivalent of showing your child the films from your own childhood, even though your child is younger than you were when you first saw them.

I guess what I'm saying is that I find the number of strollers excessive, but it's symptomatic of a larger issue, and I've been part of the problem. :)

It makes sense though when you put it in that perspective however! Thank you for sharing!

Magic Lamp

MK is a truly amazing and magical place when you can view it through the eyes of a 4 year old.

Unfortunately, most can't remember anything at that young age. My family went to the most exotic places with me when I was a toddler and I don't have any memory of it. Impressions maybe, but I couldn't tell you one detail, unlike my parents who can recall everything.

The first time I was in Disneyland I was about 5 and I don't remember a thing. If there weren't photos, I could've been fooled of never having been there. I only remember the first time we went to Disney World but then I was already 8 years old. Now that memory, I can treasure and there were no strollers used.

gonnichi

The whole Mermaid area has to be one the most beautiful things Disney has done in a long time.

It's just a shame there's isn't a ride on the same level.

You are so right.
I took 3 of my friends to MK this weekend, as we entered New fantasyland they seemed excited. They said what is that pointing at Maurice's House. I said its a small show where you see Belle, they said no lets move on. Then they said what is that pointing at the Beasts Castle. I said it was a restaurant. They said no, lets move on. then I said here is the Little Mermaid ride. They all got excited. They loved the queue and were very impressed, we went on the ride and as we were walking back to old fantasyland they said wow that was a very short ride for such a long queue. They were not impressed at all. they felt very let down by the new Fantasyland area.
I am hoping that once the mine train opens it helps people feel like this area is a special place, not a let down.

Victor Kelly

I have been there 40 times starting at age 6 months. I can remember a lot of stuff. The ticket books and the booths to buy them at. I remember when the monorails had all seats and no standing, when POTC was not PC, COP being packed, the original star jets, If you had Wings, King Stefan's Banquet Hall, Penny arcade, etc Oh and MK the only park that existed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unfortunately, most can't remember anything at that young age. My family went to the most exotic places with me when I was a toddler and I don't have any memory of it. Impressions maybe, but I couldn't tell you one detail, unlike my parents who can recall everything.

The first time I was in Disneyland I was about 5 and I don't remember a thing. If there weren't photos, I could've been fooled of never having been there. I only remember the first time we went to Disney World but then I was already 8 years old. Now that memory, I can treasure and there were no strollers used.

When I said seeing MK through the eyes of a 4 year old I didn't mean literally. I was actually referring to being a parent and seeing your kid's reactions to the rides, characters, parades, fireworks, etc...

I have no clue if my kids will remember anything from our trips, but they sure enjoyed it while we were there and my 6 year old still remembers lots of details from the trip we took when he was 4. I am not judging anyone. If you choose to not bring your kids to WDW until they are 8 that's your prerogative. I was just answering the other poster's question about whether the amount of strollers at WDW is excessive. I don't want to make this a thread about strollers so this is the last I'll say on the topic.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
When I said seeing MK through the eyes of a 4 year old I didn't mean literally. I was actually referring to being a parent and seeing your kid's reactions to the rides, characters, parades, fireworks, etc...

I have no clue if my kids will remember anything from our trips, but they sure enjoyed it while we were there and my 6 year old still remembers lots of details from the trip we took when he was 4. I am not judging anyone. If you choose to not bring your kids to WDW until they are 8 that's your prerogative. I was just answering the other poster's question about whether the amount of strollers at WDW is excessive. I don't want to make this a thread about strollers so this is the last I'll say on the topic.

Well, for the record, I started taking my kid when she was 5, and she remembered things when we went back a year later. My kid was 7 last year, and she had a ton of memories, including (and this I found the most amusing) gripes about "Lost Disney"...things they had changed since her last visit.

She certainly remembers the trips, and has a shrine in both her rooms, at her Mom's house and mine, to the parks with penny collections, autograph books, pictures with princesses, lanyards, etc...etc...etc...

I remember vague things from my first trip when I was 4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom