Mine Ride Construction Update

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Probably nothing to get excited about... but the final page of that booklet promises a preview of the future for WDW and other Disney destinations on the final day of the media event.

"Disney: we're committed to increasing the number of benches by one at every Disney Destination worldwide in 2014*." #rockyourdisneyside

*Actual project completion estimated for 2021, subject to delays.

I think that's the "around the world" update. Probably mostly MM+ sales pitch. Maybe we could get some Disney Springs info, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rob562

I think that's the "around the world" update. Probably mostly MM+ sales pitch. Maybe we could get some Disney Springs info, but I'm not holding my breath.

A small part of me has been wondering if Disney's been purposely holding off on a big announcement for something like Star Wars until Harry Potter opens, to try and steal away some of the spotlight...

-Rob

flyerjab

A small part of me has been wondering if Disney's been purposely holding off on a big announcement for something like Star Wars until Harry Potter opens, to try and steal away some of the spotlight...

-Rob

Have been wondering that myself. Maybe when Mark Hamill is there during Star Wars Weekend. Assuming he will be talking about Star Wars VII but what a better way to announce Star Wars Land. Wrong thread for this but had to get that in there.

Concerning the actual thread topic, I think the Mine Train will be excellent. My family, from my 7 year old to myself, are all talking about it cause it is something that we all can ride.

Also, I have seen some posts talking about how the dwarves must not look impressive because WDW did not put out pics ahead of time like they did with Ursula from LM. What I wondered is if projection technology is used for their faces, how good would their faces even look if they were not setup and actually working? I thought that they might be saving them for the actual opening of the ride because that is when they will look their best.

ASilmser

My guess, based on rumor, conjecture, my own observations, and lots of thread posts (translation: my gut)--is that the animatronics will be a combination of old-school animatronics with limited and repetitive movements AND the new projection technology that Disney has started to utilize recently. Both internal projection (think eyes on Potato Head in the TSMM cue, or Mater in Cali Adventure's Radiator Springs Racers) and external projection around a 3-D sculpted object (think of the "Celebrate the Magic" castle projection show, or the cue of Test Track where the basic vehicle sculpted shape changes color and texture based on the person being interviewed in the accompanying movie)

My recollection is that Disney owns a few patents for this technology, and will use it in many more places in the future (this would be a logical application).

Assuming they really are going to be using some sort of new innovative technology that they are touting in the official description, for at least a few of the dwarfs (hopefully all), I imagine a basic all-white head form (or entire body form) on a simple AA body--animated projections will then bring the faces (or entire form) "to life," making them look just like the film. That would be kinda cool, I think.

Just my prediction, based only on my reading of these forums, a little bit of guess-work, and the recently posted descriptions from Disney.

Last edited:

KLinder7

More workers out today. Last night trains were running again with weights in them. Could hear the music and slightly projections before the drop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 168

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I just hope that when we are there the week after Easter, it is in soft opening and we get a change to ride it. Otherwise, we will have to wait until Memorial Day and hope it is open during the entire Rock Your Disney 24 hours and we can ride it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My guess, based on rumor, conjecture, my own observations, and lots of thread posts (translation: my gut)--is that the animatronics will be a combination of old-school animatronics with limited and repetitive movements AND the new projection technology that Disney has started to utilize recently. Both internal projection (think eyes on Potato Head in the TSMM cue, or Mater in Cali Adventure's Radiator Springs Racers) and external projection around a 3-D sculpted object (think of the "Celebrate the Magic" castle projection show, or the cue of Test Track where the basic vehicle sculpted shape changes color and texture based on the person being interviewed in the accompanying movie)

My recollection is that Disney owns a few patents for this technology, and will use it in many more places in the future (this would be a logical application).

Assuming they really are going to be the some sort of new innovative technology that they are touting in the official description, for at least a few of the dwarfs (hopefully all), I imagine a basic all-white head form (or entire body form) on a simple AA body--animated projections will then bring the faces (or entire form) "to life," making them look just like the film. That would be kinda cool, I think.

Just my prediction, based only on my reading of these forums, a little bit of guess-work, and the recently posted descriptions from Disney.

This sounds very reasonable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Assuming they really are going to be the some sort of new innovative technology that they are touting in the official description, for at least a few of the dwarfs (hopefully all), I imagine a basic all-white head form (or entire body form) on a simple AA body--animated projections will then bring the faces (or entire form) "to life," making them look just like the film. That would be kinda cool, I think.

I think you could be right. All signs point to these not being standard AAs. There seem to be a few people who still believe they are not going to be anything different or special and I think someone here claimed to have seen the actual AAs and they weren't impressed, but I take all that with a grain of salt. We should know soon either way.

Skibum1970

Welding or they are shielding from water from whatever they are doing in there?

I'm certainly no expert but that is where they have been spending a great deal of time looking and working. They had the tape on the tracks below the bridge and other pictures captured the workers (probably Imagineering) going over that area. I would guess that they're welding or something similar. I'd hate to think that they are re-engineering that curve, although I doubt that it is anything serious.

Kurt Hauk

Was just there checking things out this past Friday. The tarp was up under the bridge early in the day and they were cutting 2 foot sections of wood. They had maybe 8 of them cut and from what I could tell it they were moving a rail back under that bridge.

Later that day i went back by and the tarp was down and there were no workers in the area. It looked like they had moved a railing and done some minor work on the stairs amd some rock work. Never saw the cars run at all though sadly. Ill check again tomorrow as I'll be heading back to the Magic Kingdom for our last day at the world.

Rob562

Here is the photo taken later in the day after the tarp was removed.

The railing changes were talked about previously, it was presumed that they discovered some clearance issues from the coaster train coming around that curve.

Looks like the metal railing on the stairs was re-worked and bent outward as it reaches the bottom, so the tarp was probably just to shield the welding work from Guests.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom