Mine Ride Construction Update

BigGreen73

I am looking forward to riding this when we get to go again. Looks like Big Thunder's big brother, just a tad slower because of the swing cars. I am just wondering how big/comfortable the seats will be and what the restraints will be like.

NYwdwfan

I would agree with this, I think it's going to add some extra thrill to the ride.

I've been thinking about the swinging cars - and not being a physicist (or an engineer, etc.) this may be a foolish thought - but I will ask it anyway: is it possible that the swinging action of the cars will make it LESS thrilling in parts - I mean - in the areas where the track banks the ride vehicle will follow the banking but the people in the car will stay parallel with the ground? I'm not sure I am explaining myself in a way others will understand. I'm wondering if it's possible the people in the car will "stay put" as the ride vehicle follows the banking of the track? The test vehicle had the truck they were riding in driving on level ground, not a banked track.

DisneyConstruction23

I've been thinking about the swinging cars - and not being a physicist (or an engineer, etc.) this may be a foolish thought - but I will ask it anyway: is it possible that the swinging action of the cars will make it LESS thrilling in parts - I mean - in the areas where the track banks the ride vehicle will follow the banking but the people in the car will stay parallel with the ground? I'm not sure I am explaining myself in a way others will understand. I'm wondering if it's possible the people in the car will "stay put" as the ride vehicle follows the banking of the track? The test vehicle had the truck they were riding in driving on level ground, not a banked track.
You may be correct depending on how the coaster hits the bends, but once the car levels out the swinging "should" be very noticeable in my opinion. It may not be felt during the actual turn but I feel you will quickly feel the momentum of the swinging cars once the coaster starts to straighten out. It all will depend just how much the cars actually are able to swing. If they are given a large range of motion this will be very noticeable but if not then who knows. Now I do have to ask because when I was at the job site I heard a rumor of a seats in each car will not be swinging for those who would like to enjoy the ride but not this aspect (sort of like the motionless seats on despicable me etc.) is this true. I have no facts behind this and was simply a rumor one of my co-workers mentioned to me.

NYwdwfan

You may be correct depending on how the coaster hits the bends, but once the car levels out the swinging "should" be very noticeable in my opinion. It may not be felt during the actual turn but I feel you will quickly feel the momentum of the swinging cars once the coaster starts to straighten out. It all will depend just how much the cars actually are able to swing. If they are given a large range of motion this will be very noticeable but if not then who knows. Now I do have to ask because when I was at the job site I heard a rumor of a seats in each car will not be swinging for those who would like to enjoy the ride but not this aspect (sort of like the motionless seats on despicable me etc.) is this true. I have no facts behind this and was simply a rumor one of my co-workers mentioned to me.

That makes sense - although with the banking I saw I would think that in some spots stationary cars may be even more exciting to ride!

dstrawn9889

wouldnt be surprised if they had a 'team green' for this ride to remove the swinging aspect, as extra motions on a rollercoaster could cause major protein spills for some people, that is...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am looking forward to riding this when we get to go again. Looks like Big Thunder's big brother, just a tad slower because of the swing cars. I am just wondering how big/comfortable the seats will be and what the restraints will be like.
It is definitely Big Thunder's little brother. Much shorter track length, lower max height and slower. Remember it is a Fantasyland ride, so think more Barnstormer and less Big Thunder.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
wouldnt be surprised if they had a 'team green' for this ride to remove the swinging aspect, as extra motions on a rollercoaster could cause major protein spills for some people, that is...

I don't know how much they could reduce the swinging effect. The physics of the ride are designed with the swinging effect in mind so it may not be possible to turn the effect off without messing up the physics of how the ride moves and how it effects the passengers.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes in terms of time....with all of the show elements (though I do not know where it will slow down or when it will blow past the characters)
Yeah it is hard to say how that show scene will time. Everest blows through its one show scene very quickly, so will be interesting to see what happens here. Worst case 90 seconds ride time, best case 3 minutes is my guess.

Clamman73

I don't know how much they could reduce the swinging effect. The physics of the ride are designed with the swinging effect in mind so it may not be possible to turn the effect off without messing up the physics of how the ride moves and how it effects the passengers.

I'm still wondering if the swing effect is able to happen with people in load/unload if they wanted to and hit the sides of the loading platform, or they won't be able to purposely do that???

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm still wondering if the swing effect is able to happen with people in load/unload if they wanted to and hit the sides of the loading platform, or they won't be able to purposely do that???

I would guess there is some sort of locking mechanism used at load/unload. Without it, the car would tilt when the first person stepped in.

dstrawn9889

all that would be required is locks on the hinges for that car, and i am sure they are all equipped, for nothing more than maintenance and storage

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
all that would be required is locks on the hinges for that car, and i am sure they are all equipped, for nothing more than maintenance and storage

I am not talking about the mechanics of locking the cars to stop them from swinging, I am talking about the change in the physics if the cars are not allowed to swing. The forces applied to the car, track and passengers are going to be different if the car is fixed then if it is allowed to swing. If it possible that those forces would make it unsafe to run the ride unless the cars are allowed to swing.

dstrawn9889

physics-wise IMHO, the moving COG would be harder on any curves than a fixed COG for calculations on load and delta V. those curves shown are no worse than BTMRR or Barnstormer, and they don't swing...

Sped2424

The Monitor came into today with some cool little tidbits about the mine train, for one Corey burton and David ogden stiers will both be voicing characters for this ride. David will be voicing doc if his track record says anything (he played doc in kingdom hearts) and Corey burton is so versatile but If I could place where his voice would be used I would guess the vultures. As for the rest of the ride the monitor states that the archive recordings of the original vocal cast of snow white can be heard in throughout the attraction. Which is wonderful as we will hear Adriana Caselotti's fantastic voice work for the film.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah it is hard to say how that show scene will time. Everest blows through its one show scene very quickly, so will be interesting to see what happens here. Worst case 90 seconds ride time, best case 3 minutes is my guess.
3 minutes? Only if there's just a single train!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom