Millionaire to be closed and Replaced w/ ride.

brentley2

I am glad to see that a dark ride is going into MGM-
but I would really like to see Disney start working on some dark rides that aren't based on Pixar.
The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King deserve to be represented in some form other than a show or a cheap ride (Aladdin). I would love to see dark rides on all of these- either at MK or MGM.
Pixar is great, but Disney needs to remember that the string of movies that saved their butts in the 90's!

justducky78

We just did Millionaire for the first time last week and found it to be a lot of fun. I understand the show has seen it's time, but they really should get rid of Sounds Dangerous first!

And to put in an interactive dark ride like Buzz, ugh! I'd rather they keep the show. Or think of something a little more creative. I really hope that doesn't happen.

And I agree with some of the other posters - Narnia was a complete waste of time. If you've already seen the movie (like me) it was basically a trailer and some pine trees - yay :lookaroun:hammer:

lentesta

Premium Member
I've heard the same ride info from a completely different source in the last couple of days, and in a different location in the park (behind Al's Toy Barn).

If anyone's interested, Disney's filed a couple of patents recently that explain the technology behind how such a ride would work.

Len

Figments Friend

Nice to hear that.....about the patents. Always a good sign of something ALL NEW coming in ( well...maybe!)

I'm all for some type of new attraction in MGM. For a long time now it seems to be a "weak" Park with not much to offer the non-thrill seekers. I agree with the above post..lay off the Pixar stuff and bring on the real Disney rides based on some of the more recent hits. Aladdin would SO make the coolest dark ride EVER. Just thinking about the stunning LIGHTING effects that could be done ( to recreate the stunning film visual palette) is enough to get me excited alone!

I hope this will be something decent and not another lame tv plasma screen cheapy.

Maybe "Midway Mania" will turn out to be a "Cars" attraction???

brisem

brentley2 said:
I am glad to see that a dark ride is going into MGM-
but I would really like to see Disney start working on some dark rides that aren't based on Pixar.
The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King deserve to be represented in some form other than a show or a cheap ride (Aladdin). I would love to see dark rides on all of these- either at MK or MGM.
Pixar is great, but Disney needs to remember that the string of movies that saved their butts in the 90's!

Maybe the new name for the park could be Disney/Pixtar Studios

imagineerfan

mousermerf said:
More info...

Refering to DCA's version...

Quote:
The latest plan for the attraction is to make it an interactive ride where guests fire a gun at objects that pop up on screens as the vehicle moves through the attraction. It is more like a cross between Buzz, Roger Rabbit, and the Vitural Pirates at DisneyQuest.

And the characters are all themed around Toy Story, but minus Buzz himself. That was the latest I know from a few months back.

This souds very similar to the new ride they are opening at Hersheypark this summer. http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/mini/index.php

Dan

Hurricane

KrazyKemp said:
As it has been stated, Disney Studios is now the "half day" park...and a great new E-Ticket ride would do it.

IMHO of course.

NO NO NO NO -- An E ticket turns a 1/2 day park into a full day park by making guests stand in line 1/2 the day to ride it. Non Magic Kingdom Disney parks (and HKDis) suffer from a critical lack of D and C tickets. Parks don't need gate busters that bring in huge numbers once, they need the kind of rides that bring people back. Before starting law school I had been an AP for my entire life; I have been to DAK exactly three times. I'll eventually ride EE but I probably won't go back until they put in the next gatebuster E ticket, and therein lies the fallacy of building E tickets and neglecting core C/D attractions -- people only go back when there's a new E ticket creating a (costly) cycle of infinite regression.

Further -- sounds dangerous isn't an amazing new technology, binaural audio has been around for more than a century. At a time when many have some form of surround sound / home theater (I've got three!) this attraction is only appropriate in the sense that MGM represents Hollywood's golden era

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hurricane said:
NO NO NO NO -- An E ticket turns a 1/2 day park into a full day park by making guests stand in line 1/2 the day to ride it. Non Magic Kingdom Disney parks (and HKDis) suffer from a critical lack of D and C tickets. Parks don't need gate busters that bring in huge numbers once, they need the kind of rides that bring people back. Before starting law school I had been an AP for my entire life; I have been to DAK exactly three times. I'll eventually ride EE but I probably won't go back until they put in the next gatebuster E ticket, and therein lies the fallacy of building E tickets and neglecting core C/D attractions -- people only go back when there's a new E ticket creating a (costly) cycle of infinite regression.

Further -- sounds dangerous isn't an amazing new technology, binaural audio has been around for more than a century. At a time when many have some form of surround sound / home theater (I've got three!) this attraction is only appropriate in the sense that MGM represents Hollywood's golden era

Good points. :wave:

Most dark rides are "C" and "D" ticket rides, so if this is true it would be a blessing to the park.

I believe the whole Millionaire franchise has run its course.

CThaddeus

phillipsa9 said:
on the topic of unused space in the park... why did they get rid of the hunchback show? IMHO it was the best live show on property in its day... what is there now? anything?

From what I saw last week, the theater for the show IS still there, they've just put the San Francisco backdrop in front of it instead. I seem to say this a lot lately, but it's really sad when Disney does stuff like this. It truly was the best stage show in the Studios.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was mention of the theatre having structural problems / not being able to be used. There again they said this about Horizons.....

So which is it? Soundstage or Al`s Toy Barn and theatre area? Interesting, Lee & `merf - same concept (interactive dark ride) but different areas.

crazydaveh

I like Millionaire. It's fun to play along with and it's 40 minutes in an air conditioning building!

Oh well, you have to change with the times.

Teenchy

phillipsa9 said:
the above quote is clearly coming from someone that never saw match game... the reruns on GSN are still the best game show on tv...

as far as the new attraction as much as i dont like that its so much like buzz, im sure as development goes on it will become its own entity... im really just glad to see the studios getting some attention i think its the park with the most potential and was once my favorite....

on the topic of unused space in the park... why did they get rid of the hunchback show? IMHO it was the best live show on property in its day... what is there now? anything?

AHHHH Match Game how could I forget. I think it started in the early 60's (62?) and ran original programing into the mid 80's. Your right its one of the best.

raven

Personally I think that the Monsters Inc. dark ride would have fit in better at the studios than in Tomorrowland at MK. It's isn't futuristic lisk the rest of the area and they placed it in DCA out in California and it works well. Let's just hope the ride fits in theamatically with the rest of the area and won't be outdated in the near future.

jimmyritt33

To be truthful, i'm a little "Toy Story"d out. Why not utilize movies like "the Incredibles" & "Chicken Little" If using the 4D technology these two movies may be a great choice.

ToTBellHop

jimmyritt33 said:
To be truthful, i'm a little "Toy Story"d out. Why not utilize movies like "the Incredibles" & "Chicken Little" If using the 4D technology these two movies may be a great choice.
well Chicken Little wasn't exactly popular...and the Incredibles has a much more exciting ride in the works right now.

jimmyritt33

ISTCNavigator57 said:
well Chicken Little wasn't exactly popular...and the Incredibles has a much more exciting ride in the works right now.

my point was simply, make a ride about something other than "Toy Story"
to draw kids into the Disney magic utilize all of the characters. I never saw the Song of the South but now am itching to because of the ride. I never saw "the Wind in the Willows" but I sure as heck loved Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The rides do not have to come about because of the tv show or movies popularity. Maybe 25 to 30 years from now kids that never saw "Monsters Inc." will go on a ride and say "Hey Mom can I watch this movie" I just think that both the attraction's success and movie's success go both ways.

Pongo

ISTCNavigator57 said:

Chicken Little was the most popular animated movie that Walt Disney Feature Animation put out in a long time.

It was far from unpopular. I can think of many other films by Disney that were a lot less popular when they were released, one of which has its own mini-golf course. Another which has two rides in Disneyland's Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom