Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

sedati

Maybe something as picturesque as what you find around the original Chinese Theater...?
I assume you're implying how ugly the area is. Well, so is much of Hollywood, but Disney created some beautiful streets at the park by condensing and Disnifying the good stuff. Don't see why that can't be extended. I hope there are plans to change that whole side of Echo Lake. We joke here about what looks Disney vs Universal vs Six Flags, but honestly, what does this look like?
1547436448926.png

Yes, I know it's the exit, but it's not like this is in some back corner of the park or something. This is in the hub of one of the most visited parks in the world. That's the showbuilding right there. They didn't even hide it with "go away green," instead they painted it "here I am tan." Other than it's always been this way, how is this not as bad as the Guardians building?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I assume you're implying how ugly the area is. Well, so is much of Hollywood, but Disney created some beautiful streets at the park by condensing and Disnifying the good stuff. Don't see why that can't be extended. I hope there are plans to change that whole side of Echo Lake. We joke here about what looks Disney vs Universal vs Six Flags, but honestly, what does this look like?
View attachment 340890

Yes, I know it's the exit, but it's not like this is in some back corner of the park or something. This is in the hub of one of the most visited parks in the world. That's the showbuilding right there. They didn't even hide it with "go away green," instead they painted it "here I am tan." Other than it's always been this way, how is this not as bad as the Guardians building?

Actually, that 'tan' was intended to be thematic of studio lot buildings in order to make DMGMS look like a studio lot. When you're making movies, you got giant studio lot buildings.

However, now that it's not supposed to be a studio lot but rather an area of L.A./Hollywood, or, a movie land (ride the movie), then all the studio lot buildings should be rethemed. Just like they did with most of Grand Ave (the muppet store and part of the muppet theater still has studio lot theming).

No Name

Other than it's always been this way, how is this not as bad as the Guardians building?

Umm because it doesn’t severely hurt sight lines from multiple spots around the park and the resort. In addition, the guardians building is an issue of height and special relation, where bland might be the best solution. This is a largely isolated area in which bland is probably not good. I fully agree that this spot could use improvement but there really is no comparison.

sedati

Actually, that 'tan' was intended to be thematic of studio lot buildings in order to make DMGMS look like a studio lot. When you're making movies, you got giant studio lot buildings.

However, now that it's not supposed to be a studio lot but rather an area of L.A./Hollywood, or, a movie land (ride the movie), then all the studio lot buildings should be rethemed. Just like they did with most of Grand Ave (the muppet store and part of the muppet theater still has studio lot theming).
Yes, I understand the studio theme, but even the sound stage buildings over in Paris have more charm.
I can imagine the meeting where someone suggested this as a theme and the bean-counters must have swooned at the thought that plain warehouse-type structures could now be acceptable.
But my posts were in response to the joy some had in seeing this look remain after the scrims came down.

sedati

Umm because it doesn’t severely hurt sight lines from multiple spots around the park and the resort. In addition, the guardians building is an issue of height and special relation, where bland might be the best solution. This is a largely isolated area in which bland is probably not good. I fully agree that this spot could use improvement but there really is no comparison.
Yes, if you're talking park-wide impact, but I'm talking about visuals in the hub- the focal point of the park. Guardians is bigger, but it's also nowhere near Spaceship Earth. A more apt comparison would be putting a big nondescript box next to Cinderella's Castle or the Tree of Life.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes, if you're talking park-wide impact, but I'm talking about visuals in the hub- the focal point of the park. Guardians is bigger, but it's also nowhere near Spaceship Earth. A more apt comparison would be putting a big nondescript box next to Cinderella's Castle or the Tree of Life.

Guardians is nowhere near Spaceship Earth?

sedati

You mean the ribbed prefab tents?
Oh wow... I see they did that on #2+3. How visible is that from the park?
I still feel the style of fake soundstage used there has a bit more charm with the shape and patina used. MGM's style was fine- I certainly didn't mind it in the day, but I'd happily see it go away forever now. Universal's design stands out the most- hard edges and contrasting colors- probably my least favorite of the three styles.

peter11435

Oh wow... I see they did that on #2+3. How visible is that from the park?
I still feel the style of fake soundstage used there has a bit more charm with the shape and patina used. MGM's style was fine- I certainly didn't mind it in the day, but I'd happily see it go away forever now. Universal's design stands out the most- hard edges and contrasting colors- probably my least favorite of the three styles.
It’s very visible from some places in the park

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, I understand the studio theme, but even the sound stage buildings over in Paris have more charm.
I can imagine the meeting where someone suggested this as a theme and the bean-counters must have swooned at the thought that plain warehouse-type structures could now be acceptable.
But my posts were in response to the joy some had in seeing this look remain after the scrims came down.

Remember a few things..

1) you are looking at a photo of the exit in the wrong direction. What is projected here... is not what the actual users of the exit will be focused on. It's like looking over your shoulder in a ride and complaining about the set lights.. this view is not the primary one

2) The exterior of most theater or ride exits are generally bland... intentionally to make them 'go away' when not in use. Pick your park... American Adventure... Hall of Presidents... Country Bears... Living Seas...

What you are going on about is not really about the new attraction, but about retheming that entire street. As of yet, it's not changing from the backlot theme, and the new Mickey ride isn't changing that.

TL:DR - you're barking up the wrong tree

GlacierGlacier

Guests really should never be drawn to the exit of an attraction. When the entrance and exit are as adjacent as these two are, they are especially careful.

And sure, a Grand-avenue style facade would look great.

If it made sense for the area.

GMR's entire building is tan and sound-stagey. From where guests can see the exit of the attraction, everything else is tan and sound-stagey. It's sitting right next to the ABC commissary, which is positioned across from the Frozen theater's back side. That, while not tan, is also sound-stagey.

Keeping it the same color and style as literally every other part of the park in proximity is not only thematically appropriate, it's the proper thing to do design-wise.

Now. The tan and sound-stagey design is something I'd like to see altered throughout the park. The alley and frozen theater is something that needs some work to prevent thematic conflict with the new direction of immersive lands and high-quality themeing.

But this exit isn't going to be the one to change that.

tmthomas52

I heard on a recent Jim Hill Podcast that there may be a push to have this attraction open for Hollywood Studios 30th Anniversary, May 1. While I understand the issues of relying on Jim Hill for information I wanted to ask insiders here if they have heard this discrepancy from the sentiment I have seen that it may open with/near Galaxy's Edge. @lentesta seemed to be as surprised by Jim's comment as I was.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I heard on a recent Jim Hill Podcast that there may be a push to have this attraction open for Hollywood Studios 30th Anniversary, May 1. While I understand the issues of relying on Jim Hill for information I wanted to ask insiders here if they have heard this discrepancy from the sentiment I have seen that it may open with/near Galaxy's Edge. @lentesta seemed to be as surprised by Jim's comment as I was.
Last I heard was possibly July.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Last I heard was possibly July.

Well, I know who I trust more when it comes to rumors. (Hint: It isn't Jim Hill) ;) Although I won't be going (yet), my wife wouldn't mind a July opening. :cool:

CalebS

If only.. I’ll be there that week

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom