Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

doctornick

Phase 3 died. The Mickey ride and anything else being done is just ad hoc for now. Big plans, like for a 'land', are in blue sky world right now.

I've got to think that there are some sort of plans -- or at least active development -- for replacing Launch Bay with something. Once SW:GE opens, it won't really fit at all and that's prime real estate. I mean, maybe they just bring back the Art of Animation stuff, but I'm hoping they tear down the whole lot and get something new there for 2022 or so.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've got to think that there are some sort of plans -- or at least active development -- for replacing Launch Bay with something. Once SW:GE opens, it won't really fit at all and that's prime real estate. I mean, maybe they just bring back the Art of Animation stuff, but I'm hoping they tear down the whole lot and get something new there for 2022 or so.

There probably is, but that doesn't count as a 'phase' such as a land or a wholesale reconfiguration of a large section of park. And they probably have blue-sky phases under consideration... but no triggers are being pulled yet.

doctornick

There probably is, but that doesn't count as a 'phase' such as a land or a wholesale reconfiguration of a large section of park. And they probably have blue-sky phases under consideration... but no triggers are being pulled yet.

Sure, no triggers being pulled. But my point was that if they remove the Launch Bay/Animation building (and hopefully the former animation studio that is just offices), that's a ton of space which could host a proper land. I'm hoping that something is coming in that space -- it was the former "Phase 4" area in @marni1971 original diagram of the Phases for the DHS makeover (which was sadly cut down, though Phase 4 was never approved; only Blue Sky and aspirational).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 So would the Mickey ride be considered phase 3 or part of phase 3 with more updates to come?? Seems DHS isn't finished and their starting on Epcot now which is great but let's finish first DHS :/
Not really a phase. More of a mistake. IMHO.

There's proposals for elsewhere in the park five or six years down the road but nothing definite at the moment. Yes, it needs a lot more.

brb1006

Why does everyone say it has to be "Mickey Through the Ages"? Sure, that may sound good on paper, but what story can you tell with that? Perhaps a story about time travel? Because that cliche hasn't been used enough :rolleyes:. Good on Disney for trying to tell a NEW story! I don't understand why everyone is so bash crazy on the new shorts. It's the closest we've ever had to a return of the golden age of Mickey! Watch more than four of them people! Like all Mickey Mouse cartoons, some are way better than others (Mickey Mouse playing the piano for 7 minutes straight isn't nearly as entertaining as, say, Mickey's Garden). I'm sure most people didn't notice that prior to these shorts, Mickey had been missing for more than a decade, and prior to that period, he was missing for even longer! Disney is finally doing something with him! Let's be honest here, current Disney would not even consider making a Mickey Mouse ride if it weren't for the success of these recent cartoons! It's understandable that you don't like the new design, but give the ride a chance, it'll probably be great. Besides, based on the concept art shown at the panel, the characters look cleaner and more professional than they do in the shorts!
And hopefully avoid some of the gross humor found in the shorts and go for a more traditional route while keeping the tone of the new shorts but to a more calm approach.

brb1006

And Potato Land totally pokes fun at Disney. Which I find delightful. I like that the new cartoons are self aware, and referential.
Don't forget this short with the Seven Dwarfs which actually gave me a few chuckles. Especially from Dopey.

Not all the shorts are grossout focus nor is it anything Ren and Stimpy. And if you really want to see what Disney does when it desperately and tried to be like Ren and Stimpy. Ever heard of Shoonkums and Meat?
latest

327193.jpg

No? That's because the series was very short lived and aired as part of the newer shows for the Disney Afternoon block during its final few years. This was Disney's attempt at mimicking John K's humor and animation style following the success of Nickelodeon's Ren and Stimpy show at the time. Needless to say the series thankfully ended up in obscurity. The show itself doesn't even feel anything Disney would do.

The episodes can currently be found on Youtube if you guys are curious. I would take the new Mickey shorts over that show anyday!

Movielover

I had always heard that this scene and the big finale with the Wizard of Oz and all the AAs taking a bow was cut because they could only use a certain percentage of Oz in the ride. But if @marni1971 says the Tornado was around during ride testing, then the finale must have been cut for other reasons.

It's because the finale would have had to duplicate every AA on the ride, essentially doubling the amount of AA's required. I guess someone thought that was too expensive.

brb1006

What about Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and its various spin-offs? Those have been very successful too, and pre-date the shorts.
But those were aimed more on young children and can be boring as an adult (Roadside Races doesn't count since it ditched the edutainment aspect and goes for a more slice if life approach and can be entertaining to watch for some adults and it's target audience). The new shorts appears to aimed more on the older kids and young adults who are fond of the old shorts and giving a unique twist to the characters (Even if it's contains gross out or not).

latest

House Of Mouse (along with it's two direct to video Halloween and Christmas videos) ,Mickey Mouse Works, and the first Mickey's Ounce Upon A Christmas were the only attempts at having modern Mickey and Friends to be aimed for all ages. Especially Mickey's Ounce A Christmas where the Mickey and Minnie story is heartwarming and touching while House Of Mouse was very decent with it's clever jokes and sense of humor while putting on some of the Mickey Mouse Works shorts in between.

House Of Mouse even gives references and shootouts to classic and beloved attractions of Disneyland and Walt Disney World to give extra eye candy and stuff for the older Disney fans and park lovers some extra stuff to catch. They even bring in some obscure and not well-known Disney characters into the mix. For example, one episode has a recurring running gag with Mr Toad from Wind And The Willows.

latest

By the way, when it's close to Christmas time please by chance order the first Ounce Upon A Christmas. It's very underrated and this along with House Of Mouse was one if my first exposure to Mickey and Friends while the VHS (Spirit Of Mickey) was my first exposure to the old Mickey shorts before getting the Magical Treasures DVD set of the black and white and color shorts.

Also the House Of Mouse and the shorts in Mickey Mouse works was one of the few times Disney wanted to make Mickey Mouse funny again even a bit mischievous at times. As seen in this short featuring Chip and Dale called "Mickey's Mixed Nuts" and excuse the audio being in Swedish.

And in defense of the new shorts, I really love how some of the shorts would include cameos or various Disney characters even sometimes used as a gag such as Pinocchio in Wanders Of The Deep and Beast in Croissant de Triomphe.

Then a few would even give shoutouts to older attractions of Disney and referencing lesser known Disney Animated Films such as Make Mine Music. And in a few shorts that are set in foreign countries the character dialogue is not dubbed and actually had the English voice actors speak in that language and you can still get the idea of what situation they are in such as "Clogged" starring Minnie.

Last edited:

brb1006

And these modern shorts are really a return to the controlled chaos of the 20s and 30s-this art form really lends itself better to the squashing and stretching required, which would be terrifying if they used the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse art style, or any other iteration for that matter.
To attract more preschoolers? :rolleyes:

Movielover

Do you know of anything that involves an Indiana Jones attraction? That IP is drastically underused in WDW in my opinion.

Besides a ride I would love to see them redo the stunt show to be a complete story line. I love the current show since Raiders is my favorite movie but having a immersive stunt show with Indy would be great!

So with the closing as August 13th for this and Ellen do you guys know/think they will actually start working on the new rides or wait a while to change them to the new rides???

pumpkin7

Disney either do one extreme or another... either they leave everything to rot and go stale, or bulldoze an entire park for new attractions!

And why do they announce that stuff is closing like, a few weeks before they actually close? That said, it's not just Disney. Universal did that with Jaws as well.

Maeryk

Disney either do one extreme or another... either they leave everything to rot and go stale, or bulldoze an entire park for new attractions!

And why do they announce that stuff is closing like, a few weeks before they actually close? That said, it's not just Disney. Universal did that with Jaws as well.

They have gotten a lot of heat from fans in the past for just making stuff go away overnight, so they tend to announce it for the people who want "one last ride" to give them an opportunity. Also, you have people at six months out planning their trip around specific rides.. it's fair to let them know as early as possible that it won't be there after a certain point.

Fox&Hound

I read an interesting article a while back from the man/studio who worked on the epic mickey video games and he said how most people were reluctant to do much with Mickey since his personailty has been neutered so much over the years. He mentioned how over the years all of the anger and funny angry emotions went to Donald and all all the silly slaptick went into developing Goofy's character which left Mickey very safe and bland. I appreciate that in the new shorts some of his mischievous nature has returned.

MCast

I've reflected on this a bit more and have determined I am at peace with this approach. TGMR was a staple at DHS/MGM since opening and obviously fit perfectly in the park.

While I respect the argument that a massive refurb of TGMR should've been the preferred approach, MaMRR isn't such a bad option.

Disney was founded on Mickey. More specifically, it was founded on animation. Having this animated Mickey short be the central focus of the ride, ties nicely into Disney Hollywood Studios. My two cents.

Brer Oswald

I read an interesting article a while back from the man/studio who worked on the epic mickey video games and he said how most people were reluctant to do much with Mickey since his personailty has been neutered so much over the years. He mentioned how over the years all of the anger and funny angry emotions went to Donald and all all the silly slaptick went into developing Goofy's character which left Mickey very safe and bland. I appreciate that in the new shorts some of his mischievous nature has returned.
Lol, that's what I've been trying to tell everyone else. It seems like people were expecting the safe, bland Mickey, and that Mickey is now viewed as the definitive version. I feel that it's good Disney is trying to change this, and this ride is a major step in that direction. That being said, the Mickey in the new shorts is undeserving of being the definitive Mickey, but it's better than the bland one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom