Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Do you think this attraction came to be solely because of the approaching "public domain" licensing? And Disney creating the ride for further justification in keeping Mickey within the company?

I can't see how this would be related. The copyright expiration is coming up on a few of the original shorts, but Disney still holds the trademark on Mickey. If anyone is truly going to try to make a case that Disney isn't invested in Mickey so should loose the copyright, a new ride is hardly going to make a difference.

Maeryk

I can't see how this would be related. The copyright expiration is coming up on a few of the original shorts, but Disney still holds the trademark on Mickey. If anyone is truly going to try to make a case that Disney isn't invested in Mickey so should loose the copyright, a new ride is hardly going to make a difference.

It doesn't matter whether they are invested in it or not. Copyright is copyright. And trademark is a different thing entirely. It can be used to protect a slogan or logo, but not a body of work.

As it stands, their copyright to Steamboat Willy will expire in 2023, making it then public domain unless something changes (again) in copyright law between then and now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You mean the tornado scene was actually in the ride at one point? I didn't know that! Was it effective?
Before May 1989 yes. It was in.

Constantly spinning farmhouse on the rear projection screen. The gobo lighting effects flying around the screen and walls to enhance the effect. The wind machine (behind the grill on the right side of the pathway) running full. And the de de-de de dur de music from the film on endless loop.

EasyRover

I'll echo the sentiments of others that it does break my heart a little that GMR is no more.

But I am stoked on this new ride. I think that style of Mickey is great. The dirtiness of it calls back to the first shorts while still being contemporary. It's an interesting style for sure. I also think the concept sounds great. AND a new theme song that is sure to be an ear worm?!

For those wanting a Mickey Through The Years thing, you know that kind of exists everywhere in the parks right? You're gonna see Classic Mickey every where you turn.

I could eat my words when this opens, but bravo to them for doing something a bit different.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It doesn't matter whether they are invested in it or not. Copyright is copyright. And trademark is a different thing entirely. It can be used to protect a slogan or logo, but not a body of work.

As it stands, their copyright to Steamboat Willy will expire in 2023, making it then public domain unless something changes (again) in copyright law between then and now.

The case people are making is that this ride is an attempt to shore up their claim on Mickey in an attempt to get the copyright extended again. I feel it's crazy to think that claim requires any shoring up.

Maeryk

The case people are making is that this ride is an attempt to shore up their claim on Mickey in an attempt to get the copyright extended again. I feel it's crazy to think that claim requires any shoring up.

it's not about shoring up. It's about changing the IP significantly enough that it becomes, effectively, a new copyright, with new 80 or whatever year protections. Copyright is not something you "lose" by not using it. It has a hard out, and at this point that out is 2023. It would not surprise me in the least if the company is backloading the ability to switch to a slightly different, but protected, mickey, should their attempts to extend the classic mickey copyright (again) fail this time.

I never said that was the only reason for the ride. It _may_ be one of the reasons the shorts are so stylistically different from previous iterations.

djdan888

Probably all on here are AP but for Disney to still charge FULL price for single or multi day tickets to DHS for this next year is almost criminal. While the park is in this state, they should be running $69 value days or something. Does anyone think they will reduce prices ? If not, will park attendance drop dramatically until TSL ?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
it's not about shoring up. It's about changing the IP significantly enough that it becomes, effectively, a new copyright, with new 80 or whatever year protections. Copyright is not something you "lose" by not using it. It has a hard out, and at this point that out is 2023. It would not surprise me in the least if the company is backloading the ability to switch to a slightly different, but protected, mickey, should their attempts to extend the classic mickey copyright (again) fail this time.

I never said that was the only reason for the ride. It _may_ be one of the reasons the shorts are so stylistically different from previous iterations.

The copyright is on the short films, not really the character so any changes made to the character do not impact the short films. Any new things they make with any version of mickey are automatically protected by a new copyright, so what style the ride is, is irrelevant.

Mickey is already protected by trademark.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Probably all on here are AP but for Disney to still charge FULL price for single or multi day tickets to DHS for this next year is almost criminal. While the park is in this state, they should be running $69 value days or something. Does anyone think they will reduce prices ? If not, will park attendance drop dramatically until TSL ?

Most people don't pay full price to go into the park anyway, so the price isn't likely to impact attendance.

tribbleorlfl

Was just about to ask the same thing based on the "I can't believe come September, DHS will only have 4 rides" comments. It seems like they have to do so ething, be it decreasing 1 day tickets or adding so.ething temporary to increase value and justify full prices.

Now would be the perfect time to bring back Star Wars Weekends, ESPN the Weekend, even the ABC Soap Weekends.

Brer Oswald

I'm not AP. I don't live anywhere near Florida. But I wouldn't be caught paying for a full day pass to DHS. I'll spend a few hours there on the days that I go to three parks.

Brer Oswald

Here's a challenge to all the complainers. Name 15 Mickey Mouse cartoons :). If you think you have better ideas, show validation that you know your source material (also, if you do have ideas, let me know I'll be interested).

mickhyperion

...the classic 30s pie-eyed Mickey.
There actually was no classic 30s "pie-eyed" Mickey. Not in any Disney cartoon short anyway. Perhaps you can find some in print media from that era, but no Disney short from that period has any pie-eyed characters.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

Last edited:

tirian

There actually was no classic 30s "pie-eyed" Mickey. Not in any Disney cartoon short anyway. Perhaps you can find some in print media from that era, but no Disney short from that period has any pie-eyed characters. The pie-eyed idea was a lie that Imagineering came up with when they were working on Paradise Pier.
He was pie-eyed in the comics; I meant the big black ovals. It's a technicality, but you're right. :)

Brer Oswald

There actually was no classic 30s "pie-eyed" Mickey. Not in any Disney cartoon short anyway. Perhaps you can find some in print media from that era, but no Disney short from that period has any pie-eyed characters. The pie-eyed idea was a lie that Imagineering came up with when they were working on Paradise Pier.
Occasionally he would appear with Pie Eyes. An example would be "The Karnival Kid".

tirian

Here's a challenge to all the complainers. Name 15 Mickey Mouse cartoons :). If you think you have better ideas, show validation that you know your source material (also, if you do have ideas, let me know I'll be interested).
I'm answering for fun, not to argue, because I think we're both making good points. :)

No Google allowed!

1. Steamboat Willie
  2. Plane Crazy
  3. Two-Gun Mickey
  4. The Whoopee Party
  5. The Band Concert
  6. Hawaiian Holiday
  7. Through the Mirror
  8. The Clock Cleaners
  9. On Ice
  10. Mickey's Trailer
  11. Mickey's Rival
  12. Orphan's Benefit
  13. The Brave Little Tailor
  14. The Nifty Nineties
  15. The Little Whirlwind
  16. Pluto's Christmas Tree (technically a Mickey short)
  17. The Sorcerer's Apprentice (it counts!)
  18. Runaway Brain
  19. I could go on...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom