Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

sunsetblvd26

I've reflected on this a bit more and have determined I am at peace with this approach. TGMR was a staple at DHS/MGM since opening and obviously fit perfectly in the park.

While I respect the argument that a massive refurb of TGMR should've been the preferred approach, MaMRR isn't such a bad option.

Disney was founded on Mickey. More specifically, it was founded on animation. Having this animated Mickey short be the central focus of the ride, ties nicely into Disney Hollywood Studios. My two cents.
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I wish they could have kept GMR and just built this in animation courtyard, as logic would suggest. But considering GMR would have needed a huge update anyway, the more I think about it, I can respect and appreciate the fact that they decided to take a completely new approach. MMRR will be an incredible ride, and unlike Guardians, there's no arguing that it doesn't fit thematically. So overall I think this overhaul of the ride will be a net positive.

Magenta Panther

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I wish they could have kept GMR and just built this in animation courtyard, as logic would suggest. But considering GMR would have needed a huge update anyway, the more I think about it, I can respect and appreciate the fact that they decided to take a completely new approach. MMRR will be an incredible ride, and unlike Guardians, there's no arguing that it doesn't fit thematically. So overall I think this overhaul of the ride will be a net positive.

No offense, but how do you know it'll be an incredible ride? *cough* Little Mermaid *cough*

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No offense, but how do you know it'll be an incredible ride? *cough* Little Mermaid *cough*

Precisely because it's not going to rely on AAs, but next generation screens.

Unless all the AAs are of the Na'vi Shaman quality or the projection-enhanced Shanghai PotC... they're just lame.

Screenz!!! Give me floor to ceiling 270 degree 8K 120 fps laser-projection projection-mapped ride-synchronized parallax-enhanced SCREEEENZZZ!!!

Last edited:

Fantasmicguy

Precisely because it's not going to rely on AAs, but next generation screens.

Unless all the AAs are of the Na'vi Shaman quality or the projection-enhanced Shanghai PotC... they're just lame.

Sreenz!!! Give me floor to ceiling 270 degree 8K 120 fps laser-projection projection-mapped ride-synchronized parallax-enhanced SCREEEENZZZ!!!
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not but AAs are NOT the reason the Little Mermaid isn't good. They are the best part of the attraction. I'd say the problem is that the ride is just kinda boring in general as its a book report attraction but it has nothing to give it real charm like the classics.

Kman101

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not but AAs are NOT the reason the Little Mermaid isn't good. They are the best part of the attraction. I'd say the problem is that the ride is just kinda boring in general as its a book report attraction but it has nothing to give it real charm like the classics.

This. It lacks the charm it SHOULD have. I shouldn't see black walls and look up at the ceiling and see a disco ball and lame "waves" to cover the lights. It's decent in parts but they missed the boat big time with Mermaid. And to me the only impressive AA is the Ursula one. The rest of the AAs are plastic to me. The ride feels very plastic.

That being said I do trust the Mickey ride will be top notch.

PizzaPlanet

So I'm guessing that the preshow will be the Mickey Mouse short you are supposed to be seeing at the Chinese Theater. It would be cool if they used the effect in Enchanted Tails with Belle where you go through a screen to make it seem like you are walking into the cartoon.

thepirateking

I've read there are no AA's (which is really sad thinking of how many GMR had). I'm guessing that is to maintain consistency in the appearance of the characters. I'm sure the projected characters will be very energetic and they don't want to mix that style with more static AAs. It's probably cheaper as well.

I'm hoping there are still some physical sets and props to add depth and layers to all the projection. I'm envisioning Mr. Toad crossed with Shanghai pirates. This seems as close as WDW will get to Mystic Manor for a while.

GMR had a huge foot print. Does anyone know how all that space will be used? Any chance for multiple "tracks", either for higher ride capacity or alternate paths like Toad? (I know it's trackless)

Casper Gutman

I just can't get over the decision to use the modern characters - those versions have a shelf life of, what, another 5 or 6 years max? And I'm skeptical that they will become the "definitive" versions for many viewers, however young. Even Disney doesn't seem sold on their longevity - they've existed for several years already, and Disney hasn't been pushing them on merchandise much at all.

I have to think Disney knows this...

Which seems to indicate that they view this ride as VERY temporary, the worst case scenario, or the space will be physically indistinct enough that they can cheaply and quickly alter it, which is also worrying.

Coupled with the unimpressive TSL, this Studio make-over feels a lot like the action of a CEO with one foot out the door, a band-aide until the next management team has to deal with the mess.

Goofyernmost

This. It lacks the charm it SHOULD have. I shouldn't see black walls and look up at the ceiling and see a disco ball and lame "waves" to cover the lights. It's decent in parts but they missed the boat big time with Mermaid. And to me the only impressive AA is the Ursula one. The rest of the AAs are plastic to me. The ride feels very plastic.

That being said I do trust the Mickey ride will be top notch.
So a ride that is made out of plastic feels plastic? How could that happen? Just kidding with you, I understand. I never saw the movie so it didn't feel like a book report to me, it needed brighter lighting for the scenes and that took away from a normal dark ride. I just tried to look past that and managed to still enjoy it enough that I ride it every time I go. The stuff to discover in the queue is a never ending chore itself.

Kman101

So a ride that is made out of plastic feels plastic? How could that happen? Just kidding with you, I understand. I never saw the movie so it didn't feel like a book report to me, it needed brighter lighting for the scenes and that took away from a normal dark ride. I just tried to look past that and managed to still enjoy it enough that I ride it every time I go. The stuff to discover in the queue is a never ending chore itself.

I ride it every time I go as well. I enjoy the movie so I do *like* the ride, I just dislike that I'm sort of taken out of it by some of the flaws. It's not as awful as it's made out to be but I wish it were better.

brb1006

gmr-jpg.216358

tribbleorlfl

Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy was once proposed for this spot. I'm glad they decided on Mickey too.
I remember that rumor, as well. Wasn't it supposed to be a similar concept (go to to Grumman's to watch a movie premiere, get sucked into the film/action)?

Begs the question, which location would have been worst for the Guardians: GMR or UoE?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom