Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Jones14

No spite... but typically the appetite for creativity in communities like this is VERY, VERY conservative, and I hate it. As much as people root for new experiences, anything that challenges their nostalgia gets met with a collective gag. It stifles creativity honestly.

I enjoy seeing risks being taken. Shift the perspective and view it from a different angle. Show me something different.
Agreed. The style of the new shorts, while left of center when it comes to ‘park Mickey’, provide a lot of challenges and opportunities for a creative, unique attraction, particularly since the goal is to juxtapose the cut-out, 2D nature of the shorts with the three dimensional experience of a ride.

I think they had a choice between a better attraction or a smoother blend with the typical art design, and to me, they made the right choice.

smile

No spite... but typically the appetite for creativity in communities like this is VERY, VERY conservative, and I hate it. As much as people root for new experiences, anything that challenges their nostalgia gets met with a collective gag. It stifles creativity honestly.

I enjoy seeing risks being taken. Shift the perspective and view it from a different angle. Show me something different.

bravo

RaveOnEd

While I do have nostalgia for some Disney rides and would never, ever see them go away or be changed, I then remind myself of one of the episodes of the Disneyland series, when Walt said of the park itself, it would always be in a state of being and never really be completed.

Sure, I loved The Great Movie Ride (and was surprised when my daughter was upset that it went away - I always thought she was bored by it!) but I really am looking forward to the Runaway Railway more, because it's a chance to experience the 1930's style of Mickey and Minnie animation to a degree, and be a part of it on an amazing scale!

Change for the sake of change is never always a good thing, but when it's to top what's been there before and possibly be a lot better, then I am all for it.

ToTBellHop

I agree with you here. Those focused on the style of the new shorts seem hellbent on disliking a ride which should be quite spectacular with tech most of us have never seen. The same happened with Pandora over source material.

Let Disney at least try to wow us.

smile

Walt said of the park itself, it would always be in a state of being and never really be completed.

wdw has largely been in a 'state of being' mere piggy banks for far too long and yet this quote surfaces, still

gmr completely aside, however, is the fact mickey finally gets an attraction worthy of his name and it's barely even recognizable as disney art... in fact, it's an artistic rip-off
- care to imagine what would have been walt's reaction? as you might have already guessed, it doesn't matter.

i happen to think using this contemporary mickey is unwise - doesn't mean it won't be a good attraction, tho - cause it will be... everything else is in place

Last edited:

Indy_UK

What’s good I guess is that if this new Mickey animation style doesn’t work out or eventually changes, they can update the ride because if it’s reliance on screens

Giraffiki

What’s good I guess is that if this new Mickey animation style doesn’t work out or eventually changes, they can update the ride because if it’s reliance on screens

I don't know. I think that there will be enough physical sets that it will be tough to get away from the railway theme

Giraffiki

Physical sets will be "frames" for screens. Think Transformers.

So this concept art is crap?

mmr02398402394823fi.jpg

smile

Transformers as comparison

comparisons, yes... in the sense they're both screen-powered rollicking adventures thru sets
considering the overall experience tho, i'd say transformers is more a frame* of reference

... shouldn't put anyone off this unless they're fundamentally opposed, i'd wager.

and transformers is a more than fine attraction...
so, long as we're merging track/trackless for this, might as well note it contains far superior usage of screenz than the rodent copy coming to the grand kiosk showcase (whose orig opened 2 yrs later, fwiw)

*:p

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Using Transformers as comparison to a “knock your socks off” E-ticket is disheartening to say the least.
Not really. Think of the environment. Themed physical spaces with props and decor, with projections making up the space "beyond" the walls. The Mickey ride "rooms" will in the main be physically larger than Transformers if that’s your concern.

There again, Transformers is also considered a “knock your socks off” E-ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom