Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

flynnibus

Premium Member
So by that same logic we should only be embracing the new style of Mickey since that is what the Studio has "moved on" to use in current production. You can't just pick and say what to ignore based on personal preference.

What logic? I didn't draw any conclusions - I corrected the misapplication of your cite of Mickey's short and drawing inference of Walt's interest in Mickey because of the shorts ending. The shorts ended because of the theatre and entertainment changes of the era - not Walt's interest in the character. We know Donald had become more popular and preferred because he wasn't as pigeon holed as Mickey had become in his expected behavior. In short... pulling up the end of the shorts was complete misapplication of facts. There is no logic to extend here...

Skibum1970

I would ballpark 7 min. Based upon my understanding of the basic plot and scene list. I have not had adequate access to ride schematics to measure ride path and I don’t know ride vehicle speed to give anything more precise.

It should feel luxuriously long by today’s standards as long as we can forget what was there before...

I'm going to open myself up to getting roasted again but this is just my opinion.

First off, I wasn't a huge fan of the GMR and so that plays a role in my opinion. I am looking forward to this ride more than GMR. I think that 7 minutes (if that is what it ends up being) or thereabouts is a good ride time. I also wasn't a fan of Ellen's UoE as it was way too long. I like rides that last between 5-10 minutes. Horizons was a little longer but I still enjoyed it. PoTC has a great ride time. Could they have kept GMR instead? Yeah, I think so but it apparently needed a major refurb. However, I think that this is a more than adequate replacement and should provide greater value as a ride.

Okay, I'm going to go hide before the grenades come my way.

Biff215

I'm going to open myself up to getting roasted again but this is just my opinion.

First off, I wasn't a huge fan of the GMR and so that plays a role in my opinion. I am looking forward to this ride more than GMR. I think that 7 minutes (if that is what it ends up being) or thereabouts is a good ride time. I also wasn't a fan of Ellen's UoE as it was way too long. I like rides that last between 5-10 minutes. Horizons was a little longer but I still enjoyed it. PoTC has a great ride time. Could they have kept GMR instead? Yeah, I think so but it apparently needed a major refurb. However, I think that this is a more than adequate replacement and should provide greater value as a ride.

I loved the GMR and think this new attraction should have been an addition, not a replacement, but I don’t completely disagree with you here. I’m ok with an attraction being in the 5-10 minute range if it’s fun and immersive. For me, the GMR was both of those things, partially because of its length. But I’m willing to admit it needed a substantial update that Disney clearly wasn’t willing to finance. I think it’s also fair to say that DHS needed another new attraction to open before SWL.

I’d be fine with our Pirates if I had never been to DL. That’s when you realize an attraction can really benefit from some extra time and scenes. This new attraction shouldn’t be compared with the GMR in the same way, but I’m sure it will happen. Not much different than the UoE/GotG debate. But I’d argue that ride time is not as important if the attraction is entertaining and worth the FP or hour+ wait. That’s what we’ll have to wait for and then judge.

Casper Gutman

Personal preferences aside, WDWs very pronounced push for shorter ride times is quite odd when viewed in a broader cultural context.

It’s a commonplace that society’s attention span is getting shorter and shorter and, thus, ride lengths must be dramatically curtailed. In fact, broader cultural trends show exactly the opposite. The average length of successful films is increasing. TV shows, once distributed in weekly chunks of an hour or half-an-hour, are now released as complete seasons to facilitate binging, the consumption of multiple hours of programming at a single sitting. Video games, often cited as the prime culprits in lowering attention spans, increasingly offer complex stories and open worlds that encourage lengthy engagement. In short, much of pop culture is now based around the idea that consumers attention spans are longer than ever before.

At the same time, of course, WDW remains focused on removing longer rides and replacing them with experiences that may be as short as one minute. It’s a sad and possibly self-destructive development that seems likely to discourage serious fan engagement in the long run. Disney’s masterpieces - Pirates, HM, Jungle Cruise, SSE, the original Imagination, Kilimanjaro - tend to be longer rides, allowing time for the development of story and/or mood. Even ToT, a shorter ride but undeniably one of the greats, is markedly better when given time to develop and breathe, as it is in Orlando, in a version that is more then twice as long as its DCA counterpart.

TJJohn12

Personal preferences aside, WDWs very pronounced push for shorter ride times is quite odd when viewed in a broader cultural context.

It’s a commonplace that society’s attention span is getting shorter and shorter and, thus, ride lengths must be dramatically curtailed. In fact, broader cultural trends show exactly the opposite. The average length of successful films is increasing. TV shows, once distributed in weekly chunks of an hour or half-an-hour, are now released as complete seasons to facilitate binging, the consumption of multiple hours of programming at a single sitting. Video games, often cited as the prime culprits in lowering attention spans, increasingly offer complex stories and open worlds that encourage lengthy engagement. In short, much of pop culture is now based around the idea that consumers attention spans are longer than ever before.

At the same time, of course, WDW remains focused on removing longer rides and replacing them with experiences that may be as short as one minute. It’s a sad and possibly self-destructive development that seems likely to discourage serious fan engagement in the long run. Disney’s masterpieces - Pirates, HM, Jungle Cruise, SSE, the original Imagination, Kilimanjaro - tend to be longer rides, allowing time for the development of story and/or mood. Even ToT, a shorter ride but undeniably one of the greats, is markedly better when given time to develop and breathe, as it is in Orlando, in a version that is more then twice as long as its DCA counterpart.

I think you’re right, but there’s weird bifurcation of culture happening too. We’re trending both directions at the same time within different media ecosystems. I tend to see consumptive media in general trending toward shorter bites, while interactive media is trending more long form and in depth. I think that the big media you describe (blockbuster movies, for example) are beginning to exhibit elements of interactivity (not which shifts direction of the narrative, but at least semi-immersive storytelling through the rise of deep cosplay culture, etc.).

But that’s all measuring the whole ecosystem and ignoring the factor of production value.

When we take production value into account, I see it breaking into two opposite trends. Hi-fi media (high investment “professional” media - both consumptive and interactive) is pushing longer and more emotionally invested. Lo-fi (mobile apps, semi-pro YouTube, etc.) is pushing shorter and cheekier.

briangaw

I think you’re right, but there’s weird bifurcation of culture happening too. We’re trending both directions at the same time within different media ecosystems. I tend to see consumptive media in general trending toward shorter bites, while interactive media is trending more long form and in depth. I think that the big media you describe (blockbuster movies, for example) are beginning to exhibit elements of interactivity (not which shifts direction of the narrative, but at least semi-immersive storytelling through the rise of deep cosplay culture, etc.).

But that’s all measuring the whole ecosystem and ignoring the factor of production value.

When we take production value into account, I see it breaking into two opposite trends. Hi-fi media (high investment “professional” media - both consumptive and interactive) is pushing longer and more emotionally invested. Lo-fi (mobile apps, semi-pro YouTube, etc.) is pushing shorter and cheekier.

Well with the current production value that even the lo-fi content producers can have quite easily and cheaply these days, it seems the great differentiating factor the hi-fi folks can lean into is length and more developed story as they fight for eyeballs

Skibum1970

I loved the GMR and think this new attraction should have been an addition, not a replacement, but I don’t completely disagree with you here. I’m ok with an attraction being in the 5-10 minute range if it’s fun and immersive. For me, the GMR was both of those things, partially because of its length. But I’m willing to admit it needed a substantial update that Disney clearly wasn’t willing to finance. I think it’s also fair to say that DHS needed another new attraction to open before SWL.

I’d be fine with our Pirates if I had never been to DL. That’s when you realize an attraction can really benefit from some extra time and scenes. This new attraction shouldn’t be compared with the GMR in the same way, but I’m sure it will happen. Not much different than the UoE/GotG debate. But I’d argue that ride time is not as important if the attraction is entertaining and worth the FP or hour+ wait. That’s what we’ll have to wait for and then judge.

Completely agree about the DL Pirates. My goodness, the extra time is well used and I love the section between the drop and the second drop the most. The grotto with the waterfalls, in conjunction with that wonderful music, is something that I could go through over and over. I also completely agree with the comment about ride time not being as important. Some rides accomplish a great deal in 3-4 minutes, although waiting in a two hour line should give more than an 2 1/2 minute ride.

One thing that is annoying me about some of the new rides is that the capacity isn't that great. Thus, the MMRR ride should be a marked improvement with a good ride time with good capacity.

Kman101

I'm still looking forward to this. I still also hate it's going into the GMR building.

It's also a shame people are divided on the animation style (and they were disappointed it wasn't a Mickey through the ages attraction). This does seem like it could be a fun/well done ride, despite the things "working against it" (in terms of the fan community).

I just wish they thought more long-term instead of short-term. Sure, we're getting a lot, but many of it's just being thrown anywhere and everywhere. Always seems to be a step forward, two steps backwards, wash/rinse/repeat.

Took a little break from the boards and social media but I'm popping back in again ...

GlacierGlacier

What is the status inside the building?
And where did all of the GMR props go?
GMR props were quickly removed, salvaged, sold, or scrapped.

Inside status? I remember hearing about the ride system being installed or tested on this forum a few dozen pages back, but I can't verify anything.

It's hard, since this ride is entirely indoors AND in a pre-existing building. At least with Tron/Rat/Guardians we get to see some of the internals - though Guardians may skip that entirely until the walls/roof are on.

aladdin2007

I'm still looking forward to this. I still also hate it's going into the GMR building.

It's also a shame people are divided on the animation style (and they were disappointed it wasn't a Mickey through the ages attraction). This does seem like it could be a fun/well done ride, despite the things "working against it" (in terms of the fan community).

I just wish they thought more long-term instead of short-term. Sure, we're getting a lot, but many of it's just being thrown anywhere and everywhere. Always seems to be a step forward, two steps backwards, wash/rinse/repeat.

Took a little break from the boards and social media but I'm popping back in again ...

Well said, could not agree more. Especially the underlined. I am glad chapek is doing/allowing more than staggs ever did but he is epic failing at how and where some of the decisions are being implemented.

Skibum1970

It was discussed in another thread (maybe Pandora), the new trend appears to be extra long and interactive queues, and the debate was if those should be factored into overall ride time. GotG's queue is the entire UOE attraction for cripes sake!

While I understand that argument, I don't consider the queue the attraction. It's what I go through to get to the attraction. I appreciate the details but the ride is where it's at. This kind of discussion leads to walk-thru attractions being thought of as good replacements.

Movielover

So, everyone happy with the way Mickey looks :rolleyes:

Most people probably don't care at all.
I can't speak for anyone but myself but I enjoy the shorts for their interpretation and rejuvenation of Mickey and all the other character's personalities. I feel that the characters have a lot more energy and animation (no pun intended). They feel more "alive" then they have in forever. Each short is then set in a different time and location not only providing a rotating glimpse at different cultures thus reaching a much larger audience but also insuring that the shorts do not become stale by using the same location.

The animation style brings a more classic 2d look than modern 3d CGI does, plus when you add on the fact that these shorts contain some of the most intensive easter eggs and Disney "inside" jokes gives credit that the production team really has an invested interest in the legacy of Disney animation.

So in summary, yes I love the new shorts and am very happy with they way they look!

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom