Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

The Grand Inquisitor

Apologies if this has been posted before. In this video, Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy) talks about the attraction and he mentions that there are easter eggs that don't happen all the time. He says:

The relevant part about the easter eggs starts around 11:50. It's worth watching the whole interview, as imagineer Kevin Rafferty also appears, and Bill Farmer does some fun Goofy voices, including "Potatoland" at 5:10:

I wonder what all of the easter eggs are?

Disneyson

While I have thoughts on this ride (M&MRR ought to be compared to Frozen, GMR ought to be compared to RotR, M&MRR and GMR should NOT be compared to each other), the thing I most want to talk about is Chuuby.

What a disgusting merchandise grab. One of the key aspects in Disney storytelling is that each character serves the plot in a key moment, or else they get cut. Pocahontas originally had several more animal friends, but they were cut because they were not necessary. Olaf justifies his existence by reminding Anna and Elsa how close they once were, as a manifestation of their love. Madame Leota performs the seance necessary for us to see the spirits throughout the remainder of the attraction. Chuuby... does nothing. The squid is more interesting, more funny, and serves a pseudo-purpose of at least offering a laugh.

In my mind, I see a celebration in 25 years of Chuuby as an “original character”, where he will be released in blind pin bags mixed in with Figment, the Tiki Birds, and R-5. Already there are cross-body bags celebrating this character... and frankly I find it disgusting.

It’s a gross grab at repeating the Orange Bird sensation with exactly NONE of the nostalgia and none of the history, lore, or even IMHO iconic design.

Is my head up my you-know-where, or does anybody actually care anything about the Times Square costume style ripoff of Orange Bird?

disneygeek90

While I have thoughts on this ride (M&MRR ought to be compared to Frozen, GMR ought to be compared to RotR, M&MRR and GMR should NOT be compared to each other), the thing I most want to talk about is Chuuby.

What a disgusting merchandise grab. One of the key aspects in Disney storytelling is that each character serves the plot in a key moment, or else they get cut. Pocahontas originally had several more animal friends, but they were cut because they were not necessary. Olaf justifies his existence by reminding Anna and Elsa how close they once were, as a manifestation of their love. Madame Leota performs the seance necessary for us to see the spirits throughout the remainder of the attraction. Chuuby... does nothing. The squid is more interesting, more funny, and serves a pseudo-purpose of at least offering a laugh.

In my mind, I see a celebration in 25 years of Chuuby as an “original character”, where he will be released in blind pin bags mixed in with Figment, the Tiki Birds, and R-5. Already there are cross-body bags celebrating this character... and frankly I find it disgusting.

It’s a gross grab at repeating the Orange Bird sensation with exactly NONE of the nostalgia and none of the history, lore, or even IMHO iconic design.

Is my head up my you-know-where, or does anybody actually care anything about the Times Square costume style ripoff of Orange Bird?
If Chuuby is as irrelevant to you in your opinion, then they didn’t succeed in the grab, so why care? I don’t care about the little guy either, at least not yet, but he definitely doesn’t bother me.

I could argue that the porg basically only in episode VIII is equally as grabby. They’re really just pointless creatures that do nothing to the plot but I still see them stapled to people’s shoulders every day. Just because they’re not vital doesn’t mean that some won’t find them cute or endearing.

jt04

If Chuuby is as irrelevant to you in your opinion, then they didn’t succeed in the grab, so why care? I don’t care about the little guy either, at least not yet, but he definitely doesn’t bother me.

I could argue that the porg basically only in episode VIII is equally as grabby. They’re really just pointless creatures that do nothing to the plot but I still see them stapled to people’s shoulders every day. Just because they’re not vital doesn’t mean that some won’t find them cute or endearing.

They are always going to be introducing new cute characters. It's what Disney does. Some will work better than others just have to wait and see.

Porgs would be much more marketable on a menu if you ask me. 🍗

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know he's in the western scene following Mickey and Minnie carrying the picnic basket, then in the carnival he follows after Oswald and others in the far screen to the right, I think.

After the tornado part, no clue, as far I can tell from the POVs I've seen online.
He also appears in the city scene, in one of the windows...
I’ve actually seen him swimming in the ocean scene. From a POV.

Pluto is clearly the B-plot. Chuuby is a merch distraction mentioned only coincidentally in the same Disney Parks Blog that mentioned the B-plot.

I've seen PoVs where Pluto is in the Western Scene, Carnival, and Twister. But I don't remember seeing him at all in the city window or underwater. In fact, I've looked very carefully at a lot PoV's underwater scene for Pluto since the posters and ads for the ride show Pluto underwater either with the basket, or chasing a crab who has the basket.

I've also looked for him in the factory scene but haven't spotted him.

Rich Brownn

The porg actually cover real birds that couldn't be moved from the island. I guess it was cheaper to just cover them with CGI than CGI them out. LOL

Darth Snips

Pluto is clearly the B-plot. Chuuby is a merch distraction mentioned only coincidentally in the same Disney Parks Blog that mentioned the B-plot.

I've seen PoVs where Pluto is in the Western Scene, Carnival, and Twister. But I don't remember seeing him at all in the city window or underwater. In fact, I've looked very carefully at a lot PoV's underwater scene for Pluto since the posters and ads for the ride show Pluto underwater either with the basket, or chasing a crab who has the basket.

I've also looked for him in the factory scene but haven't spotted him.
Not sure if he’s in the factory scene or not, but here he is underwater:

And this is the cleanest shot I can find of him in the city (from TimTracker’s video):
3C092A9F-D401-4229-BDA1-954E04087475.png

Like I said in my review, it’s too bad we zip through these scenes so fast. You really won’t notice these details unless you’re looking in the exact right place at the exact right time.

BasiltheBatLord

Apologies if this has been posted before. In this video, Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy) talks about the attraction and he mentions that there are easter eggs that don't happen all the time. He says:
This is really interesting if it's true. I've always wondered why theme park attractions don't make more use of random events like this to increase re-rideability and create "urban legends" surrounding the attractions etc. I wonder if we'll be discovering secrets about this ride years into the future.

Josh Hendy

A
I've always wondered why theme park attractions don't make more use of random events like this to increase re-rideability and create "urban legends" surrounding the attractions etc. I wonder if we'll be discovering secrets about this ride years into the future.
It's fun that fans create stories and legends even when nothing (deliberate) is there. Wasn't the entire story of Master Gracey and the wedding ring embedded under the gate of HM a fan invention, made up to connect the dots? Likewise IIRC Duffy the Bear was a generic Disney character until fans reinvented him as "Mickey's Teddy Bear".

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
With this ride type; Would it be feasible to speed up and slow down different aspects of the attraction without negatively affecting the hourly capacity?

I ask only because there are scenes that I'd want to stop or meander through a little longer (Carnival) and scenes that I feel would be better sped up. (Western Stampede? and Tornado) I think the attraction is good... the pacing and storytelling not so much.

disneygeek90

With this ride type; Would it be feasible to speed up and slow down different aspects of the attraction without negatively affecting the hourly capacity?

I ask only because there are scenes that I'd want to stop or meander through a little longer (Carnival) and scenes that I feel would be better sped up. (Western Stampede? and Tornado) I think the attraction is good... the pacing and storytelling not so much.
I don’t dislike the Daisy room but out of all the rooms that’s the one where I feel several seconds could have been taken from to disperse to another.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know if this has been discussed or not but why, in the tornado scene, do you not make a loop around the tornado? This, combined with some effects on the walls, could significantly improve the scene.

Or do any spins. I would think with the twister scene and the dance studio, at least one spin would be thrown in.

yensidtlaw1969

I don't know if this has been discussed or not but why, in the tornado scene, do you not make a loop around the tornado? This, combined with some effects on the walls, could significantly improve the scene.
It does feel like more was intended for that scene.

Watching again on youtube it's hard to tell if there's actually space for a vehicle to go all the way around the tornado, but I remember thinking at least one car would when I was on my first ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom