Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

Tom Morrow

This replaced a previous ride that had very giant open rooms so maybe they initially had the idea of the scenes being more "intimate" like a usual dark ride but they just had to work with what they had.
The scenes in GMR were all full scale and completely filled out those giant rooms, though. Since the first few scenes of MMRR are worse offenders than the second half of the ride, its either feeling it was necessary to show off how the vehicles can go anywhere, or needing to fill out the building, or both.

UNCgolf

The scenes in GMR were all full scale and completely filled out those giant rooms, though. Since the first few scenes of MMRR are worse offenders than the second half of the ride, its either feeling it was necessary to show off how the vehicles can go anywhere, or needing to fill out the building, or both.

Just another reason they would have been better off with a custom building specifically for this ride rather than repurposing an existing space.

The Grand Inquisitor

PHOTOS - First detailed look inside Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Just watched the video of the ride. WOW! It looks fantastic! I will miss the Great Movie Ride but this is a very worthy successor. Another fantastic addition to Hollywood Studios! It looks like you are legit in a cartoon! I love how everyone is shocked in the pre-show when the screen blows open. I cannot wait to ride it at Disneyland next year! At least I think it opens in Disneyland next year. I could be wrong.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just watched the video of the ride. WOW! It looks fantastic! I will miss the Great Movie Ride but this is a very worthy successor. Another fantastic addition to Hollywood Studios! It looks like you are legit in a cartoon! I love how everyone is shocked in the pre-show when the screen blows open. I cannot wait to ride it at Disneyland next year! At least I think it opens in Disneyland next year. I could be wrong.
Not next year. If you believe the hype Chapek has postponed it.

Disney Maddux

Absolutely amazing. Front car is hands-down the best.

Main disappointment was that Goofy wasn't an animatronic, and I wish he stuck around for the whole ride rather than just the beginning and end.

Also, while really good, the Mickey and Minnie animatronics look kinda weird. It'll probably grow on me though.

I'll forever miss GMR, but I absolutely loved this ride.

Disney Maddux

Here's my controversial perspective: when I was a youngster, I grew up loving wax museums. I remember dreaming about the Hollywood Wax Museum and especially their Star Trek display. For some reason, there was nothing cooler to 5 year old me than looking at these themed statues.

And the first time I rode it in the 90s, I realized: GMR was a slightly enhanced Hollywood Wax Museum. And I was left cold.

The ride was sort of cool, but I never felt it was that special. I didn't get feel particularly dazzled by it and I should have been Ground Zero in terms of being fascinated by what it offered. I never felt like I was transported to "the world of the movies." Frankly, the best part of the ride - by far - was seeing the props and memorabilia at the end of it. I certainly never felt like I needed to ride it again and again.

Now, you tell me you're gonna have an attraction that finally celebrates Mickey - Mickey and his cartoons? That's going to finally try to tie into the anarchic spirit of that creation? SIGN ME UP. It's all about execution, of course, but in my opinion, this is a giant upgrade. You can celebrate the Generic Spirit of Movies in any number of places. There's a magnificent, massive Academy of Motion Pictures Museum opening this very year, a stone's throw from Anaheim. You can even see the ruby slippers.

This ride, OTOH, celebrates a crucial part of what makes Disney...Disney. It's not lugubrious, it's not inert, it tries to bring freaking Disney cartoons to life! That, to me, is a massive upgrade, a concept completely worthy of being the centerpiece of a Disney park, and it was easily worth losing GMR.
tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Darth Snips

Now that I’ve got a couple of rides under my belt, I figured I’d toss my two cents in.

1. The preshow is great! Such a simple effect, but really, really cool. It felt like a genuine classic “magic” moment from Disney. Seems like those moments are kind of rare these days, but this effect just felt perfect.

2. I know much has been said about the AAs, and they are odd looking. That said, I rather like them. I think Mickey has always been near-impossible to bring into the real world without looking weird (e.g. Mickey Mouse Revue). To me, this “2 1/2-D” approach is the best I’ve seen yet. The finale scene especially works quite beautifully; their profiles look great from the controlled angle/distance. That said, Pluto and Daisy are definitely the best looking AAs in the ride, and they are much more traditional.

3. The ride itself, like the preshow, is just the most darn adorable thing I’ve been on in years. I know Disney is primarily known for their awe-inspiring masterpieces like Pirates or Spaceship Earth, but I think I forget how much of their legacy is rooted in old-fashioned charm. They’ve proven they can still deliver on scale (RotR, Shanghai Pirates, etc.), but it’s been a very, very long time since they’ve produced a ride as cute as this one. Seriously, I had a goofy smile on my face the whole time. It’s just so cute!

4. I would say my primary issue with the ride is its pacing. I get that they wanted to emphasize the “runaway” aspect of the story, but I really wish we could slow down a bit. These scenes have so many neat little details in them, but we barely get to spend any time admiring them. It wasn’t until my 2nd ride through that I even noticed the “B-plot” with Pluto, and even then that was only because I was looking for it. I guess I wish the pacing was less Roger Rabbit and more Small World.

5. Other random thoughts:
- I keep trying to compare this to GMR, but they’re such dramatically different rides I really can’t say which one I prefer. The only thing I can say for certain is I wish we had both of them.
- This thing seems like a real people eater. I rope-dropped the ride this morning, wound up about waiting 90-ish minutes. But we literally never stopped moving; the line was constantly shuffling forward. It makes the wait very tolerable.
- The song is super catchy, but I do kinda wish they sang it throughout the ride instead of just the beginning and end.

So yeah, it’s not perfect, but it’s a fantastic ride. It’s also a desperately needed attraction at DHS. A high capacity, family friendly dark ride with no height requirement based on an IP that appeals to literally every demographic? That is just what the doctor ordered. DHS truly has one of the best E-ticket lineups in the world. Now it just needs some small scale additions, and it’ll be a pretty darn great park!

“Nothing can stop us now! I’ll tell ya how we’re gonna make it happen......”

Last edited:

zombiebbq

Is it just me or is the "dancing in sync" trick of the trackless tech a poor use of the tech? This is the bulk of Luigi's Festival of the Dance when I wanted something more on par with Aquatopia. I like the unpredictability of it, that's what sold me on the tech being fun.

Man Aquatopia was so cool! and like a 5 minute wait. if it was in WDW you'd be waiting MUCH longer, always.

This ride looks fun. still doesn't beat much of what Tokyo Disney has to offer. It's a shame they won't step it up...

Giss Neric

Also, there should have been more seat effects and not just the electricity effect caused by Goofy. There should have been an on-ride photo just after the tornado so it would be fun to see the hairs all messed up before they can even try to fix it. I also think the wind effect should be stronger and the water effects in the waterfall.

These suggestions are me trying to make it more thrilling in a way but a ride with NO height requirement reminds me that can't happen.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Also, there should have been more seat effects and not just the electricity effect caused by Goofy. There should have been an on-ride photo just after the tornado so it would fun to see the hairs all messed up before they can even try to fix it. I also think the wind effect should be stronger and the water effects in the waterfall.

These suggestions are me trying to make it more thrilling in a way but a ride with NO height requirement reminds me that can't happen.
It would have been absolutely hilarious if the on ride photo was taken by the Phantom Blot. He’d pull out a camera, click the button to check if it’s working, and then smash it yelling “Curses, Ten Thousand Curses”.

Oh well, maybe some day.

mickEblu

Ride looks like a lot of fun and is visually impressive. They really nailed the whole stepping into a cartoon thing. Love the use of color. The city scene is amazing and has a lot of depth. With that said, now that I’ve experienced ROTR and seen a ride through of MMRR, if you gave me the choice of a Frozen boat ride of a trackless Frozen ride for DLR I’d go with the former. Even if its a clone from Epcot. The big open spaces and empty rooms don’t do it for me. Trackless vehicles neither provide the thrill and/or the intimacy I seek in an attraction. They require too much space for little payoff.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom