Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

Jones14

Got to ride it today!

It’s very cute, but I can’t really say how I felt about it as a whole because we got stopped halfway through, which of course completely killed the momentum and affected my perception.

With that said, here are some random thoughts:

Pre-show was great, and was very pleased to see the effect in reverse at the ride exit.

The music is perfectly executed throughout. The main song is an earworm, and the exit music is the ending theme of the shorts.

Goofy looks GREAT, there’s a multi plane effect going on that gives a lovely sense of depth.

The animatronics are... less successful. I think it’s all about positioning, because from some angles they look good, but weird in others. I thought Daisy looked the best, but my friend thought Mickey and Minnie in the car did.

The top 3 scenes are the dance studio, the city, and the tornado. Our least favorite was the waterfall/undersea sequence, but that’s where we got stuck, so perhaps that could change.

The ride does a good job of justifying the movement between scenes, and it’s at its best when the train is really out of control.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Got to ride it today!

It’s very cute, but I can’t really say how I felt about it as a whole because we got stopped halfway through, which of course completely killed the momentum and affected my perception.

With that said, here are some random thoughts:

Pre-show was great, and was very pleased to see the effect in reverse at the ride exit.

The music is perfectly executed throughout. The main song is an earworm, and the exit music is the ending theme of the shorts.

Goofy looks GREAT, there’s a multi plane effect going on that gives a lovely sense of depth.

The animatronics are... less successful. I think it’s all about positioning, because from some angles they look good, but weird in others. I thought Daisy looked the best, but my friend thought Mickey and Minnie in the car did.

The top 3 scenes are the dance studio, the city, and the tornado. Our least favorite was the waterfall/undersea sequence, but that’s where we got stuck, so perhaps that could change.

The ride does a good job of justifying the movement between scenes, and it’s at its best when the train is really out of control.

Wait...how do they do the effect in reverse in the end? That sounds really cool! Happy you enjoyed it!

YodaMan

Wait...how do they do the effect in reverse in the end? That sounds really cool! Happy you enjoyed it!

You “exit” back out the “preshow.” It’s of course a different room, but it’s fun to go through the screen in reverse and back out of the theater. One of the few rides that really cares about telling the story all the way through the whole experience.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
You “exit” back out the “preshow.” It’s of course a different room, but it’s fun to go through the screen in reverse and back out of the theater. One of the few rides that really cares about telling the story all the way through the whole experience.

That’s really cool! Makes me even more excited to see a full experience video. Reminds me of the storytelling of Rise (of course the ride probably won’t be as amazing) in that Rise really cares about every aspect. Including the exit experience.

Jones14

That’s really cool! Makes me even more excited to see a full experience video. Reminds me of the storytelling of Rise (of course the ride probably won’t be as amazing) in that Rise really cares about every aspect. Including the exit experience.
Haven’t been on Rise, but for me, the attraction starts with the pre-show and ends with walking back through the screen.

That’s not to oversell it, just to say that the pre-show is a good overture and the exit is a nice button to the experience.

Jones14

I really don’t understand all the secrecy...they really haven’t even advertised this at all. Besides Twitter, where I see ads all the time.
I don’t think the ride is going to photograph well on the whole. It’s possible they fear people will watch a ride-through and judge it off of that.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I don’t think the ride is going to photograph well on the whole. It’s possible they fear people will watch a ride-through and judge it off of that.

A POV will still get the general feel of the attraction. I don’t feel that watching them takes anything away. Of course projection will look better in person...but with good cameras it will look just fine.

The Grand Inquisitor

I actually want to clarify: I have no desire to see Muppet Vision close either.

But when you think about it’s the only way this would work. Here is why:

- Galaxy’s Edge is right next to it, and their is an expansion pad nearby (I’m actually not sure where it is) but it stands to reason their isn’t much room between Muppets and Galaxy’s Edge unless Star Tours went and they expand the other way.

-Using the fingerprint of Muppet Vision (plus some of the surrounding area) they may have a room for a e-ticket as that area with Mama Melrose is decently sized.

-We know that Disney isn’t updating the movie of Muppet Vision and it’s really showing it’s age...this gets us a new muppets presence in the park. I love Muppetvision but if this starts a resurgence that I’m good with sacrifice. As long as Muppets stays in the parks.

Oh and EDIT: I’m fully behind Runaway Railway taking over so far, but I want to judge it for myself first (super excited to see the POV).
Why not demo PizzeRizzo and put The Great Muppet Movie Ride there. I agree they should have a ride and Muppet Vision 3D.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

But they will in 3 days anyway so it isn't like the release of a blockbuster movie where the success of that first opening weekend drives the film's financials so you hide reviews and public screenings. Whether we see the video today or Wed, the crowds this week are the same and the success over the next 20 years won't be changed. It's odd they are being so secretive instead of trying to drive anticipation. If anything, that keeps lowering my previously high expectations.

Jones14

But they will in 3 days anyway so it isn't like the release of a blockbuster movie where the success of that first opening weekend drives the film's financials so you hide reviews and public screenings. Whether we see the video today or Wed, the crowds this week are the same and the success over the next 20 years won't be changed. It's odd they are being so secretive instead of trying to drive anticipation. If anything, that keeps lowering my previously high expectations.
Yeah, I get what you mean, but I will say that Hagrid’s previews were the same way, and that ride turned out great. Plus, it was nice as someone who struggles to avoid spoilers to go in with essentially no idea of what it would all look like.

Also also, that park needs the ride to absorb crowds, not draw them in. EVERYTHING except Aliens was posted at more than an hour and a half before noon today, so perhaps that has something to do with the lack of marketing.

Jones14

Can anyone that has ridden the attraction already comment on how the ceiling looks? Is it themed or more like Great Movie Ride where it’s clear we’re in a soundstage/show building?
It’s unthemed f, but less noticeable than Great Movie Ride because the scenes with an exposed ceiling fade up into black (including the ductwork) vs the brown crisscrossing slats of Great Movie Ride.

It was most noticeable in the undersea scene, but again, that’s where we got stuck, so that may have been just because we were there for a good chunk longer than we should have been.

Also, the ride moves much more quickly than Great Movie Ride, so it’s of course more difficult to let your eyes wander (and as such find the gaps) than it was before.

LongtimeReader

Can anyone that has ridden the attraction already comment on how the ceiling looks? Is it themed or more like Great Movie Ride where it’s clear we’re in a soundstage/show building?

Definitely the only thing that I found to be a negative were the exposed ceilings, though I’m not exactly sure how some of them would have been done successfully. Some were noticeable and some weren’t. But overall this is a great ride and the song was stuck in my head all day.

Also, I rode in three of the four cars and I think the middle two I actually preferred to the first and last. If I were to pick I’d do the second car, because you’d miss the least in terms of having ideal sightlines in every scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom