MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

The Visionary Soul

There's no link to any photos that I know of, I was there when one of my personal buddies opened one up. Trust me, it's not Bluetooth. I know what a Bluetooth chip looks like. One thing I do want to correct though... even though it uses a battery, evidently it is still passive, so I was wrong on that particular point. Battery-assisted passive RFID is a thing. Who knew?

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's no link to any photos that I know of, I was there when one of my personal buddies opened one up. Trust me, it's not Bluetooth. I know what a Bluetooth chip looks like. One thing I do want to correct though... even though it uses a battery, evidently it is still passive, so I was wrong on that particular point. Battery-assisted passive RFID is a thing. Who knew?

I'm not claiming it's bluetooth. 'I know what a bluetooth chip looks like'??

The information is still inconsistent with the FCC filing - which explictly called out two RFID tags and a THIRD battery assisted radio. If the 3rd was also RFID, why not call it RFID like the other two tags? I don't think you can claim your buddy's opening to be 'well established'

The Visionary Soul

I'm not claiming it's bluetooth. 'I know what a bluetooth chip looks like'??

The information is still inconsistent with the FCC filing - which explictly called out two RFID tags and a THIRD battery assisted radio. If the 3rd was also RFID, why not call it RFID like the other two tags? I don't think you can claim your buddy's opening to be 'well established'
There are only 2 RFIDs inside the band. The 3rd battery assisted radio you speak of is just an antenna linked to one of the RFIDs. Also, I never said "well established", I said "established". "Well established" is your wording. I agree with you that it isn't "well established". But that's not really the point of my posting here. I'm just trying to relay what I've found to be inside the band.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There are only 2 RFIDs inside the band. The 3rd battery assisted radio you speak of is just an antenna linked to one of the RFIDs. Also, I never said "well established", I said "established". "Well established" is your wording. I agree with you that it isn't "well established". But that's not really the point of my posting here. I'm just trying to relay what I've found to be inside the band.

The 3rd radio has to be more then just an antenna since it operates at a different frequency then the two RFID tags.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From what I saw, that's not what was going on. I'll see if I can take another look again.

The radio of the device, Model MB-R1G1, is a wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4 GHz
signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure. The PCB assembly is potted in plastic and
completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane. The band has no on off switch
and is powered with a non-replaceable coin cell. The PCB assembly also includes a passive
UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio. Please note that passive tags only
require FCC 15B verification whereas active tags require certification under 15C.

The active radio is 2.4 Ghz, UHF RFID is 433 MHz, and HF RFID is 13.56 MHz.

The Visionary Soul

The radio of the device, Model MB-R1G1, is a wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4 GHz
signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure. The PCB assembly is potted in plastic and
completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane. The band has no on off switch
and is powered with a non-replaceable coin cell. The PCB assembly also includes a passive
UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio. Please note that passive tags only
require FCC 15B verification whereas active tags require certification under 15C.

The active radio is 2.4 Ghz, UHF RFID is 433 MHz, and HF RFID is 13.56 MHz.
You can quote the FCC all you want, that's not what I saw.

CDavid

Dumb question time. When the battery in a band eventually dies, would it not still be usable as a passive RFID device like the new KTTW cards? Sending out new bands for every little guest stay isn't nearly so critical if even a dead-battery band will still function to tap for room or park entry and the like.

The Visionary Soul

Dumb question time. When the battery in a band eventually dies, would it not still be usable as a passive RFID device like the new KTTW cards? Sending out new bands for every little guest stay isn't nearly so critical if even a dead-battery band will still function to tap for room or park entry and the like.
Correct.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It should be - but who knows perhaps when battery fails the system has a 'self-destruct' so the whole thing goes inactive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom