MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

Space Mountain

And if TWDC is paying 5 bucks for these - well there is this tower in Paris that they are selling for scrap metal..., Realistically for 20M units annually these should cost 1.50 or less.

No the cost to the guest will be around $8.00 . For Disney the manufacturing cost is minimal, so the profit margin on the band manufacturing is huge. I'd assume the shipping is the most expensive piece, but I'm sure there was a flat contract agreed to between UPS and Disney

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No the cost to the guest will be around $8.00 . For Disney the manufacturing cost is minimal, so the profit margin on the band manufacturing is huge. I'd assume the shipping is the most expensive piece, but I'm sure there was a flat contract agreed to between UPS and Disney

I was talking about manufacturing cost, I'm very familiar with production of active RF device production costs in runs exceeding 1M units, And If TWDC is paying 5 dollars each for these the Chinese have won another round vs the 'round eyed barbarians'.

ToTBellHop

I was talking about manufacturing cost, I'm very familiar with production of active RF device production costs in runs exceeding 1M units, And If TWDC is paying 5 dollars each for these the Chinese have won another round vs the 'round eyed barbarians'.
Did you see the tab for Under the Sea?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
hahaha that's nonsense. An attraction like that costs $150 million tops. If it costed 280 mil for the Little Mermaid ride than Imagineering should be shut down immediately because that would be the height of irresponsibility and poor management.

Even coming close to $150 million for that is insane to me.

The Visionary Soul

Why Kevin Yee is writing about it like it's a mindblowing revolation...confuses me.

It IS in the FCC filing. Staggs flat out said they would have two, a short range RFID and long range bluetooth.
Staggs was wrong. No Bluetooth in the Magic Bands. Active RFID yes, but no Bluetooth.

As far as Kevin goes... he's out of the loop these days. Not someone I would trust any longer.

omurice

I remember hearing that the Magic Bands will be sold for around a 25 dollar price point, not 8 dollars.
The price I remember* was around $15 to 25 but I cannot locate where I first read/heard this... I never heard $8 before -- that would be half the price of parking. And how can something "MAGICAL" cost less than parking?

*cannot locate source, pls take with dose of salt

MarkTwain

The price I remember* was around $15 to 25 but I cannot locate where I first read/heard this... I never heard $8 before -- that would be half the price of parking. And how can something "MAGICAL" cost less than parking?

*cannot locate source, pls take with dose of salt

I heard around $12. Between $10 and $15. This was from a FP+ manager.

Longhairbear

They're 2 other articles posted on Miceage concerning Magic Bands etc,. One is a podcast that is very positive toward WDW in general, but they did not like the MM+. The other is a written article from another reviewer, and again, the review is not positive about the bands, and all the preplanning.

The Visionary Soul

RFID doesn't transmit at 2.4gig and the magic band does per their FCC filing. It also called out two PASSIVE RFID tags.
Not sure what you mean by this... Active RFID does transmit at 2.4ghz and there is still no Bluetooth inside the magic bands... and the magic bands have passive RFID as well, but I thought that had already been established.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not sure what you mean by this... Active RFID does transmit at 2.4ghz and there is still no Bluetooth inside the magic bands... and the magic bands have passive RFID as well, but I thought that had already been established.

To clarify.. RFID can be at 2.4gig (and my error in the other post) - but it hasn't been reliably established what the 2.4GHz radio in the band is. It's not referred to as an active RFID when referring to the radio in the FCC filings - but instead just indicating it communicated with 'wireless infrastructure'

The Visionary Soul

To clarify.. RFID can be at 2.4gig (and my error in the other post) - but it hasn't been reliably established what the 2.4GHz radio in the band is. It's not referred to as an active RFID when referring to the radio in the FCC filings - but instead just indicating it communicated with 'wireless infrastructure'
I'm certain that there is no Bluetooth inside the Magic Band. It is just active RFID. Someone opened one up and took a look inside. It's been established at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom