MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was under the impression that this particular problem had been resolved. I have not heard anyone complain about it anymore and, as we all know, there will be many ready to pounce on that whenever they can. If it is no longer happening, we need to let it die.

He's talking about the reservation being in the other person's name as well... not just his. He's not talking about the early defect with the WRONG profiles being displayed.

WDWFanDave

I found a way around my problem where I have to create faux accounts to round out my dining reservations...View attachment 40366

It's been a while since I've really laughed out loud about all this MDE/MB/FP+ nonsense, but that...well, that just made me laugh out loud, over and over and over again. :)

When I made reservations for our most recent past trip, each time I made a dining reservation, it seemed to take it quite a while to realize that my daughter was already in the system, and once I got everything done, she had been set up as five individual additional friends. Quite the system they've built.

If you keep those names...would just LOVE to know the reaction that you get when you check in for your ADR. Keep that video camera handy...

Figments Friend

So i happened to pop on over to the official WDW booking website this evening....just to poke around and see what the layout is like now.
It has been about 11 months since i have done so, and my have things changed there.

First thing i was asked to do when i logged into my ol' account is agree to the 'new terms of service' which were a eyeful.
Enjoyed reading all the fine print...for both the WDC agreements, and WDP&R agreements.

Recommended reading if you have not done so to date.

:)

Figments Friend

Wonder if you could bake the unit in an oven to melt that plastic and expose the pcb.

The internals are probably not too far from a Sputnik tag.
http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?2964
500px-Sputnik.jpg

Interesting article there...thanks for sharing.

lentesta

Premium Member
Can someone translate this to English?

It's a term from computer science. I'll oversimplify it and say "NP" problems are those for which:

1) It's exceptionally difficult to compute an exact answer
and
2) It's relatively easy to check that a given answer is correct, if someone gives you such an answer

In practice it means that since it's difficult to compute exact answers, you end up using heuristics (that is, rules of thumb, guidelines, or "sounds like a good idea to me" approaches) to solve them.

Lots of optimization problems, like path planning, packing shipping containers, or figuring out how to cut parts out of plywood with the least amount of waste, tend to be classified as "NP."

For example, if you want to visit every state capital in the US by driving the least distance possible, and you're starting from Orlando, there are 50! (pronounced "50 factorial"), something around 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible ways to visit those capitals.

It would take too long for even really fast computers to get that exact answer. So you start with a heuristic: Wherever I'm at now, the next capital I visit is going to be the one that's the closest drive to me. So if you're in Orlando, you go to Tallahassee first, then maybe Montgomery, Alabama, then Little Rock, and so on. This is called the "nearest neighbor" heuristic.

It turns out that "nearest neighbor" answers are generally just okay, not great, but you can figure it out where to go next really fast. And sometimes "just okay and fast" is good enough.

There are various flavors of "NP" problems. Some are recognized as more difficult than others; those are the ones called "NP-Hard."

There's more to the definitions than this, but I think that's a decent summary.

ETA: Of course, you can't drive to Hawaii. For the purposes of this discussion, the capital of Hawaii is Palm Springs, California. :)

Last edited:

some guy

reposting from a different thread as it's probably relevant here too
In other news found THIS on Slashdot - Sounds suspiciously like a certain company in Burbank...

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/13/12...rity-non-existent-boss-doesnt-care-what-to-do

An anonymous reader writes "I am a senior engineer and software architect at a fortune 500 company and manage a brand (website + mobile apps) that is a household name for anyone with kids. This year we migrated to a new technology platform including server hosting and application framework. I was brought in towards the end of the migration and overall it's been a smooth transition from the users' perspective. However it's a security nightmare for sysadmins (which is all outsourced) and a ripe target for any hacker with minimal skills. We do weekly and oftentimes daily releases that contain and build upon the same security vulnerabilities. Frequently I do not have control over the code that is deployed; it's simply given to my team by the marketing department. I inform my direct manager and colleagues about security issues before they are deployed and the response is always, 'we need to meet deadlines, we can fix security issues at a later point.' I'm at a loss at what I should do. Should I go over my manager's head and inform her boss? Approach legal and tell them about our many violations of COPPA? Should I refuse to deploy code until these issues are fixed? Should I look for a new job? What would you do in my situation?"

Space Mountain

This is educated speculation - because none of us know the exact details of what Disney is provisioning - but in the general sense there should be no reason guests would not be able to recycle the band from trip to trip. The HF chip for the room entry should be reprogrammable to different hotels, etc. There should be stuff that can't be reset by the resort - but that isn't what matters. You would update the software side to match what is fixed in the band. AKA... if each band has a hardcoded 'ID', you don't change the band to match the ID previously stored in the user profile in software.. you update the user profile to include the new band 'ID'. As for the resort key.. if it follows convention on that, they can be reprogrammed at the resort as needed.

Speculating why they are taking this path..?
- It could simply be the shortest path right now in the rollout. Adding all the variations of allowing people to request a replacement, deciding if they need a new one, etc is system complexity that could have simply been kicked down the road for later implementation to save time right now
- It is the simplest path for the guests today in that there is no decision tree regarding 'is my band current enough', 'what if I want a different color', 'what if mine is damaged', etc. Simply giving them out every time streamlines things for people. (at the expense of later people trying to figure out which band is the 'right one')
- Any reuse scenario requires lots of alternate paths for when the personal CAN'T reuse.. for whatever reason. Staffing and building those out cost money. Maybe Disney did some number crunching and finds it cheaper to just send them unilaterally? (given the cost of shipping.. I doubt this one)

If I had to wager on it... my guess would be the first one. This is simply the version 1.0 implementation that doesn't have all the bells and whistles and so blanket 'issue a new band' is the quickest way to operational right now.

You shouldn't have to worry about that - there is little technical reason to have any of that info on the band itself. The simplest way to think about this is imagine each band has a unique serial number... and it's Disney's backend that knows when that serial number comes up.. pull up this particular user profile. Just like a barcode, etc.

You can reuse your MagicBands until they no longer function. There is nothing encoded to the MagicBand. The unique Visual ID is linked to a Cloud which stores your information from MDX. New MagicBands are issued with each stay because eventually you will have the opportunity to purchase new MagicBands in the parks and Disney will issue a complimentary set for staying on property.

Figments Friend

Is the same true for the new RFID KTTW cards?

I noticed recently while poking around in my account that the card i was issued for my January visit earlier this year is still listed as 'active'.

I found it odd that card is still listed as being 'active' for a visit that came and went 11 months ago.
At the time, the new cards had just been issued and room doors had just been installed with the new 'touch and go' door locks.

Makes me think this card is 're-loadable'...like a gift card or the like....for use on future visits.

Insights...anyone?
I have not been keeping up on all the details...likely this was discussed previously.

lazyboy97o

Is the same true for the new RFID KTTW cards?

I noticed recently while poking around in my account that the card i was issued for my January visit earlier this year is still listed as 'active'.

I found it odd that card is still listed as being 'active' for a visit that came and went 11 months ago.
At the time, the new cards had just been issued and room doors had just been installed with the new 'touch and go' door locks.

Makes me think this card is 're-loadable'...like a gift card or the like....for use on future visits.

Insights...anyone?
I have not been keeping up on all the details...likely this was discussed previously.
Yes, the cards are reusable for the same reasons as e MagicBands. The Disney account is the central point now for which parts plug in.

CDavid

New MagicBands are issued with each stay because eventually you will have the opportunity to purchase new MagicBands in the parks and Disney will issue a complimentary set for staying on property.

Huh, this doesn't make sense. Why would the future ability to purchase new bands in the parks require Disney to currently send new (complimentary) bands out for each resort stay? What am I missing?

Wasn't it reported previously that these bands cost Disney maybe $5 to $6 each. If so, sending new bands out every time for parties of 3-4 people is going to get relatively expensive, particularly noticable for short stays in value resorts. Disney can't afford resort specific mugs, bags, napkins - nor a few cents for each unauthorized drink mug refill - but sending out a $5 band, that's no problem.

Anyone want to explain that one to me? :facepalm:

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Huh, this doesn't make sense. Why would the future ability to purchase new bands in the parks require Disney to currently send new (complimentary) bands out for each resort stay? What am I missing?

Wasn't it reported previously that these bands cost Disney maybe $5 to $6 each. If so, sending new bands out every time for parties of 3-4 people is going to get relatively expensive, particularly noticable for short stays in value resorts. Disney can't afford resort specific mugs, bags, napkins - nor a few cents for each unauthorized drink mug refill - but sending out a $5 band, that's no problem.

MyMagic received a healthy budget.

TP2000

Agreed, but...serious question -- do you even think the majority of CMs would know Meg, Phil, Bob, George, Jim, and Jay?

I'm not so sure. Certainly not many CPs or ICPs.

I would doubt most CM's working the parks and hotels would know those names. And of those who know a name or two, many wouldn't care.

That's not exclusive to Disney either. Most companies have executives who think every employee knows who they are and cares. But with any company with a front line workforce made up of entry-level employees with three years or less tenure, they just don't care to know. I can't say I blame them.

Last edited:

WDWFanDave

Agreed, but...serious question -- do you even think the majority of CMs would know Meg, Phil, Bob, George, Jim, and Jay?

I'm not so sure. Certainly not many CPs or ICPs.

Well, hopefully George at least is known...if not, he needs to get the heck out of the office! I agree, a majority of the folks there probably don't know the names and/or the actual people in upper management.

That would be a great question for the survey department to ask employees...and if it comes back as you suggest, and I agree, then perhaps they should become a bit more visible :)

Space Mountain

The cost is being calculated into the room rates. Pretty much the same as how transportation and other amenities is calculated into it even though that information is not publicized. I believe current talk is just over $8.00 for a MagicBand at a guest price to purchase in park, but I am sure it will change. These MagicBands are very inexpensive and cheaply made in China. Some have excellent chips, some have almost zero range, others have been delivered defective. Its really a luck of the draw but with so many being produced, the probability of getting a bad Magicband is around .03%. Remember too that the batteries will eventually go bad in the MagicBands and once this happens, everyone will complain if they are forced to buy a new one in the parks, since it will be needed for everything in the next few years. Offering a complimentary set will keep most guests at ease with this; nobody has just realized why its already being done.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
but why are we so scared? seriously? think of all the places we enter, write down, type, etc. our names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, or take it a step further give our credit card numbers, hand our credit cards to waiters/waitresses, etc. etc.

what makes some so scared that a CM at the Disney/Magic Kingdom emporium might do some criminal act that they couldn't do today if they really wanted to

And some of us don't allow cards etc to be out of our sight for this very reason. Fox Mulder had it right 'Trust No one'

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The cost is being calculated into the room rates. Pretty much the same as how transportation and other amenities is calculated into it even though that information is not publicized. I believe current talk is just over $8.00 for a MagicBand at a guest price to purchase in park, but I am sure it will change. These MagicBands are very inexpensive and cheaply made in China. Some have excellent chips, some have almost zero range, others have been delivered defective. Its really a luck of the draw but with so many being produced, the probability of getting a bad Magicband is around .03%. Remember too that the batteries will eventually go bad in the MagicBands and once this happens, everyone will complain if they are forced to buy a new one in the parks, since it will be needed for everything in the next few years. Offering a complimentary set will keep most guests at ease with this; nobody has just realized why its already being done.

And if TWDC is paying 5 bucks for these - well there is this tower in Paris that they are selling for scrap metal..., Realistically for 20M units annually these should cost 1.50 or less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom