MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

janoimagine

In order for people to actually overspend with MM+ you have to have a working product ... which it currently is not. Based on our observations, speaking with people throught the parks and coupled with CM's input the system is a long way away from working flawlessly, in fact, most CM's we spoke with including those at Guest Relations didn't like them.

A lot of people we saw had abandoned the band and were pulling out their own plastic, room cards or simply good old fashioned cash. Most people we talked to were concerned about overspending with the 'ease of the band' and as a result were being more concious of what they were actually buying.

I know in our case this was the truth ... We typically spend on a 8 day trip anywhere from $1000 to $1500 on souviners, adult beverages and signature dining, separate from our Dining Plan or AP ... this trip our total was well under $1000, much to my surprise.

Bairstow

So you are saying Disney will profit from MM+ just because people are too lazy to pull out there credit card from wallet? If that is true, then this is a sad world we live in.

Jimmy is right right though. This is exactly why the magic bands are so important to Disney. They make spending money feel fun, or at least, not like spending money in the real world. The psychological impact of changing the kinetics of charging to your room away from a credit card format to something new and fun that gives positive reinforcement to the user (green glowing lights) will almost certainly have a boosting effect on food and merchandise sales keyed to the band. It's hard to express just how compelling they've made this system until you've tried it for yourself in the parks.

janoimagine

Jimmy is right right though. This is exactly why the magic bands are so important to Disney. They make spending money feel fun, or at least, not like spending money in the real world. The psychological impact of changing the kinetics of charging to your room away from a credit card format to something new and fun that gives positive reinforcement to the user (green glowing lights) will almost certainly have a boosting effect on food and merchandise sales keyed to the band. It's hard to express just how compelling they've made this system until you've tried it for yourself in the parks.

In theroy ... yes, but the reality is they do not work as well as they have been advertised, and it's having the opposite effect with people, they are being more concious of what they spend, because of the fear of overspending with the band.

The idea may have looked and sounded good to some on paper ... but the reality is proving to be far different.

doctornick

Not true. Flat out.

Glad to hear that DHS Star Wars has not been outright cancelled. I can understand postponed and even having it's potential budget smaller, but putting something addition from that franchise in DHS seems like such a no brainer -- plus a perfect fit for Iger's synergy fetish -- that I find it hard to think it won't happen relatively soon ("soon" being somewhat arbitrary in Disney terms).

Last edited:

khale1970

And it's pretty hard to schedule emotion 6 months in advance on an hour by hour basis.

We don't generally plan what park we are going to on a given day in advance of a trip, much less where we'll eat or what we'll ride at various points during the day. It just kind of happens organically. The thought of planning my vacation days six months in advance reminds me of the part in "Vacation" where the dad says that the family is on a quest for fun and they WILL have fun. I can just hear my children crying and whistling "Zippity Do Dah" out their $!##*)3S while I yell and drag them to our mandatory magical FP+ reservation.

PhotoDave219

Lol, what do you think its being made for? You can't possibly think of potential applications that this will can make a fortune simply based on the ease of use you will have to charge things, let alone special offers tailored to you out of the blue? Disney invested billions just to give you limited fastpasses and a queueless entry system? Please now, MM+ will make it easier to overspend, beyond anything else, it will make billions of dollars people don't want to spend because they don't have to do something as mundane as pulling out a wallet or opening up a purse.

Not to mention the interactive aspect, which will over time more than likely develop into something amazing...

Jimmy Thick- Seriously, no one ever thought of that?

That's no different then the current room key concept.

Admit it, you stole that whole post from Rasulo's presentation

TalkingHead

So the plan is to increase profits by fooling guests into spending more money.

Sounds like a great long-term customer-satisfaction plan.

Nubs70

We don't generally plan what park we are going to on a given day in advance of a trip, much less where we'll eat or what we'll ride at various points during the day. It just kind of happens organically. The thought of planning my vacation days six months in advance reminds me of the part in "Vacation" where the dad says that the family is on a quest for fun and they WILL have fun. I can just hear my children crying and whistling "Zippity Do Dah" out their $!##*)3S while I yell and drag them to our mandatory magical FP+ reservation.
What you describe is a true mass customized experience. Where as MM+ is a mechanism to drive the experience towards a commodity experience that is a financial benefit for WDW. All the while under the marketing facade of being a unique experience.

lazyboy97o

The problem though is that this is Disney's end-all, be-all strategy and will not reverse declining numbers.

Nubs70

Lol, what do you think its being made for? You can't possibly think of potential applications that this will can make a fortune simply based on the ease of use you will have to charge things, let alone special offers tailored to you out of the blue? Disney invested billions just to give you limited fastpasses and a queueless entry system? Please now, MM+ will make it easier to overspend, beyond anything else, it will make billions of dollars people don't want to spend because they don't have to do something as mundane as pulling out a wallet or opening up a purse or lifting your wrist to a RF scanner.

Not to mention the interactive aspect, which will over time more than likely develop into something amazing...

Jimmy Thick- Seriously, no one ever thought of that?
Just added the bold text for clarity.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What you describe is a true mass customized experience. Where as MM+ is a mechanism to drive the experience towards a commodity experience that is a financial benefit for WDW. All the while under the marketing facade of being a unique experience.

I seem to recall a John Chambers speech a few years back on mass customization at same speech saw my first 3D printer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In order for people to actually overspend with MM+ you have to have a working product ... which it currently is not. Based on our observations, speaking with people throught the parks and coupled with CM's input the system is a long way away from working flawlessly, in fact, most CM's we spoke with including those at Guest Relations didn't like them.

A lot of people we saw had abandoned the band and were pulling out their own plastic, room cards or simply good old fashioned cash. Most people we talked to were concerned about overspending with the 'ease of the band' and as a result were being more concious of what they were actually buying.

I know in our case this was the truth ... We typically spend on a 8 day trip anywhere from $1000 to $1500 on souviners, adult beverages and signature dining, separate from our Dining Plan or AP ... this trip our total was well under $1000, much to my surprise.

Not to mention not having anything worthwhile to buy...

Skibum1970

Staleness leads to disregard. I saw it at a theme park close to where I live. They let the place go down, with regard to upkeep and new ride development, and attendance waned. The chain was sold to another group and the new management started building some really nice rides. Suddenly, attendance started booming. This is what WDW will face, at least with regard to staleness (doubt that they would ever sell). UNI is building new experiences on proven franchises and reaping serious benefits. WDW will suffer poaching. Disney saw that happen in the DCA rebirth and subsequent increases in admission.

You want ROI? Build new rides, keep the parks fresh. To quote the movie that just went off, "If you build it, they will come".

My only concern is that they have paid out $2.0 Billion (if that number is even close) and they aren't going to shelve all that work. They'll keep aspects going so that they can later point to it as a successful venture to shareholders.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see the MM+ initiative as something that the execs are trying to cram WDW into MBA process theory rather than taking the time to discover what aspects of process theory can/should be applied to WDW.

Agreed, The new Moto ads are more along the lines of what John Chambers was speaking about, ie a mass produced item customized to the purchaser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom