MiceAge on the latest news regarding MyMagic+ : Read it and weep.

WDW1974

As already mentioned it hasn't been the Walt Disney Story in several years.

No. It has been the Disneyland Story, which makes no sense in the time period of this film.

Walt was very against being self-reverential ... he wouldn't have put his face and the 'It was all started by a mouse!' quote on baseball caps, like the ones my outlet store has been desperately trying to get rid of for the last six months. And he wouldn't have made an attraction dedicated to how he built his attraction!

G00fyDad

I'm sure that moreso on top of any technical failings or difficulties it's not increasing revenue anywhere close to what they need it to in order to justify the price tag.

I can guarantee you that it is not pulling the expected revenue. OF course it may be selfish of me but I never really cared if it did or didn't. I just love the idea of the MagicBand. :D It worked flawlessly for us on the entire trip. I just wish this was better implemented and that it didn't cost so much money to do.

WDW1974

Broke is all relative. The company has never been more profitable at any point in its existence.

WDPR however IS forced to hit and maintain very unreasonable profit targets for the type of business they are in. This is the main reason why there is always a sense of desperation around Disney Parks these days even with record amounts of cash coming in. Disney is selling $12 hot dogs and happily booking the profits while crying poverty and chipping away at the guest experience. Pure blue ocean strategy. Assume that your market space is uncontested and fleece your customer base for all its worth. The last major iconic American brand that concluded that its business was too mature to grow organically and pursued blue ocean strategies was Anheuser-Busch. They're part of a European beer conglomerate now.

Who knows where Disney Parks will end up in five years?

Just want to make sure no one missed this!

ToTBellHop

No. It has been the Disneyland Story, which makes no sense in the time period of this film.

Walt was very against being self-reverential ... he wouldn't have put his face and the 'It was all started by a mouse!' quote on baseball caps, like the ones my outlet store has been desperately trying to get rid of for the last six months. And he wouldn't have made an attraction dedicated to how he built his attraction!
He would have liked Sosa Cigars at DTD.

G00fyDad

Walt Disney World mostly had been operating under the idea that people just did not have the money to spend. Universal Orlando Resort destroyed the last vestiges of that notion. Instead of figuring out why people just are not interested in spending at Walt Disney World they've dived head first into payment methods and technology to try and capture more impulse purchases.

If Disney wants more of our money then they need to have a better variety of merchandise. I swear, every time we walked into a store it looked identical to the last one we were in. The same homogenized merchandise in every store. Mix it up a little bit Disney. We went on our last trip with around $900 each for spending money alone. I came home with $700, my wife came home with $620, and my son came home with $100. Okay, so my son is probably a poor example. LOL But they did not get the $1420 that we expected to spend while there because we already had nearly everything that we wanted from previous trips. DISNEY.... bring back the resort specific and unique merchandise!

Buried20KLeague

Bad Word of Mouth is spreading, It WILL impact attendance.

I used to routinely get asked by friends about going to WDW and countless families decided to take their trips based on my talks with them and my assistance in planning.

But now, just as many have decided NOT to take a family trip based on advice from me.

And certainly I'm not the only one here in this position.

If TDO doesn't believe there's a strong backlash on the way from their most loyal customers that will also extend into the "once every 10 years" group... They're sadly mistaken. I dare them to ride that theory out.

RSoxNo1

Usually if I read it on Miceage, I am very open minded about the accuracy of the info.
I really don't get this mentality. MiceAge, Jim Hill, Lee, WDW1974 have all said things that are true and have later been cancelled. So have Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, and Bob Iger. These types of things are all subject to change.

I don't doubt that this story is 100% accurate at the time it was posted. WDW1974 posted similar content within the last couple of weeks. It's entirely possible that in the next 90 days Disney drastically revamps My Magic+, and decides that the best way to capitalize on it is through integrating it with new attractions, then everything is back on the table. If that happens does that mean that what MiceAge and WDW1974 posted was incorrect?

To put this in perspective, Jim Hill gets a lot of crap around here for a multitude of reasons. Typically when his name is mentioned someone follows it a few posts later with an image of salt. But Jim Hill was also the first person to put out each of the following pieces of information in the last few years:
  • The Seven Dwarves Mine Train is back on the table
  • C3PO will be the pilot on Star Tours 2.0
  • Disney is considering a 3rd theater for Soarin' (mentioned in March 2012)
Comparatively, MiceAge posted earlier this year that Cars Land would be build in Florida. At the time, it was understood that this was true. Then, something changed and Star Wars was the next project (I can only assume it was the article I wrote saying they should build a Star Wars land instead of Cars Land #sarcasm). Was MiceAge wrong with their information before or did something change in the halls of Disney?

ToTBellHop

If Disney wants more of our money then they need to have a better variety of merchandise. I swear, every time we walked into a store it looked identical to the last one we were in. The same homogenized merchandise in every store. Mix it up a little bit Disney. We went on our last trip with around $900 each for spending money alone. I came home with $700, my wife came home with $620, and my son came home with $100. Okay, so my son is probably a poor example. LOL But they did not get the $1420 that we expected to spend while there because we already had nearly everything that we wanted from previous trips. DISNEY.... bring back the resort specific and unique merchandise!
I have this issue, too. I used to come home from Disney saying "I spent HOW MUCH?" Now, I get home saying, "that's all? Let's go to Ruth's Chris with our savings."

the.dreamfinder

All aboard the Disney crazy train, sponsored by Ozzy Osborne (not related to the Osbournes obviously).

tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif
The General, such a great film!

TalkingHead

BTW, Saving Mr. Banks doesn't look all that (I know, the fanbois are crying and burying their heads under pillows while yelling 'I can't hear you!')

The commercial makes it look like maudlin claptrap, but where would the modern Disney company be without that?

Is it supposed to be Oscar bait? Or is it the Disney version of Hitchcock, the making of Psycho film from last year? Is it trying to cash in on nostalgia for a more stylish time (a la Mad Men, but without the biting critique of American values)?

I have no idea who the audience is supposed to be for Mr. Banks. I know I have no interest in seeing it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yep, I am also in this category. Heck, the merch is even largely standardized on the cruise ships!

This year I think I spent less than $500 on Disney Merch, and that was an 11 day stay plus a 7 day cruise!

Heck, I spent more at Legoland! (Though, Lego sets ain't cheap)

Slowjack

All of that said, eventually MM will pay dividends. People will spend more. It will return on the investment. 5 years from now WDC will be seen as a visionary in the industry again with this stuff. It's crap now and has bugs on bugs, but it is a solid strategy. Just wildly more expensive then anticipated, but isn't any huge idea that is cutting edge?
If My-Magic was such a big upgrade to the guest experience that it drove big jumps in attendance, that would be one thing, I guess, but I don't know that anyone is seriously suggesting that. Instead, the theoretical advantage is to the company, that somehow it will more or less trick people into spending more money on the same experience they would have gotten anyway. Why would any WDW fan even want this strategy to succeed? I want WDW to make more money the old-fashioned way, as the Smith Barney ads used to say: by earning it. By making more and better attractions, shows, themed restaurants, and so on. If My-Magic had rolled out bug free and at half the price, and was on a clear trajectory to turn a profit, that would be good for me as a shareholder, but it still would be bad news for me as a guest.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Exactly Right, Remember when you could buy high quality Disney branded clothes, Real animation CELS, maquettes from animation. Not to mention attraction and park specific merchandise, Heck even the refill mugs said 'Walt Disney World' and some resorts had mugs unique to them. And merchandise carried a 20-30% premium compared to the 'Real World' not 100-200% for sweatshop goods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom