Merlin's FINAL Sword in the Stone show

Buford

it's okay.... Merlin's going to enjoy his retirement......

10merlin.jpg

mkepcotmgmak

I talked to Merlin a few weeks ago, and he said he and Archimedes were "...off to Bermuda" or something like that. The show had a great run! Maybe we'll see him again one day :animwink: .

SirGoofy

I never saw the show live, but it seemed like a really cool little show. Merlin was a great character, and I had no idea it was around for 13 years. Wow. Well hopefully the new shows are good.

Dj Corona

Bummer. Well hopefully, even if the show's gone, maybe Merlin can stay on as a meet 'n' greet or something. If not, at least leave the sword as is. Sword In The Stone is a great (and underappreciated!) movie, and it'd be a shame not to have some kind of representation for it at MK.

Uncle Billy

Feeling sad. This is how I felt when they took away the House of Magic on Main Street and Ichabod's Landing over in Liberty Square... smaller out of the way things that made a difference for me as a kid.

CJR

It'll probably be back someday. The way these new show sound they'll be gone after the year of a million dreams festival.

NASAMan

This is being replaced by a 'learn to be a princess or prince' show ala the Jack Sparrow pirate show in Adventureland.

For me, I'll take Merlin.

Teenchy

Feeling sad. This is how I felt when they took away the House of Magic on Main Street....smaller out of the way things that made a difference for me as a kid.

The Good Ole Days....:cry: Although I buy a ton of stuff at the stores now it doesnt have the charm of the original Main Street.

a2grafix

Wow, interesting. The first -- and only -- time I saw this then was during my last trip to WDW -- late August 1993.

Wow, I muyst have witnessed one of the first performances by Merlin. I do remember this show, very fuzzy though. Yeah, it's always some adult or older looking teen against a young kid.

Guess it's time for it to go back into the vault for a bit.

Chape19714

it's okay.... Merlin's going to enjoy his retirement......
"I'm going to Disneyworld!" -Merlin

:lol:

The show will definately be missed. I hope they keep the stone there, but who knows. As for the trolly show, I REALLY hope it stays!

1disneydood

This is being replaced by a 'learn to be a princess or prince' show ala the Jack Sparrow pirate show in Adventureland.

For me, I'll take Merlin.

Maybe the sword will be replaced by a bottle of rum. Captain Jack's too drunk, kiddies. See who can pull the cork from the rum for the Captain. ;)

Iakona

This makes me a little sad. This show was one of those special moments that WDW had that was on a regular schedule, but very few knew about it. I found out about it from members of WDWMagic. On our first trip (my son's 7th Birthday) we made sure we were at the stone before the show started. I had not clued my son in on anything and when Merlin came out my son went up and asked for his autograph (wearing his Birthday pins of course!).

Merlin then ended up picking him out of the audience after the wand was et "incorrectly" and picked a bodyguard (adult) when he thought it was picking a temporary ruler of the realm.

With a little show business flair, a couple of magic words the sword magically began to raise out of the stone as my son pulled on it. However, since they only needed the temporary ruler for a half day the sword only came half out. After being crowned, a small processional around the stone with his bodyguard holding his royal robes off the ground Keith was just about to make his first proclamation when King Arthur returned from vacation early and took back the reigns of ruler-ship.

Keith got a very nice magical moments certificate, but way more important was the look on his face and the memories (and pictures) we now have of this magical moment.

Keith had been chosen 2 other times, but on our last trip we had a talk and decided to stay in the back so other kids would get a chance at the experience.

While Keith retired form his royal duties this was truly a magical event and I am sad that other kids and families will not have a chance at those memories. I hope they replace it with something just as wonderful and special.

JimboJones123

I "really" want to be sad about this. It's always been there. But you know what, I've never seen it. The only time I did was when it was on Full House or some TGIF show. So, I feel like I should be upset at the loss, but I just can't bring myself to be.

miles1

I'm saddened by this too. We caught this show by accident last year, when we just happened to be walking past the carrosel, and its one of the lasting memories of the trip. Merlin, who reminded me of the comedian Rip Torn, chose a young boy from the audience that appeared to be pretty sick, possibly from Chemotherapy, to pull the sword. The child's face immediately lit up, and his mom started to cry during the show. One of those "Disney Moments" that are hard to forget.

epcot28

I hope they don't take out the trolley show. I love that kind of music( the barber shop quartet and the rest of the Main Street singers). It really brightens up the Street and adds to the whole turn-of-the-century feeling. I always stop to watch whenever I go. To me, it's one of the highlights of my trip and makes the Magic Kingdom a little more magical.:sohappy: :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom