Merlin's FINAL Sword in the Stone show

Iakona

I "really" want to be sad about this. It's always been there. But you know what, I've never seen it. The only time I did was when it was on Full House or some TGIF show. So, I feel like I should be upset at the loss, but I just can't bring myself to be.

I can understand that. I'm not upset so much as sad. It was one of those little things that when you stumbled upon it really had the potential to inject an amazing memory into your vacation. Not a big huge extravaganza, but just a short and very meaningful event.

Thurp

*sigh* I've seen this on a couple of occasions. I'm not disappointed when some shows are taken away (cinderalabration for example) but not only was this a classic, but a good classic. It's the type of small detail and experience that many people miss but that makes Disney what it is.

I hope that the "princess and pirates" show thing isn't true. How much more of that do we need? We already have princess-everything and the learn to be a pirate show. It's not, like someone else said, that this was an expensive or complicated show, but it lived up to Fantasyland's name. If they felt that a new show was needed, then fine, I understand and I could see their point, but come on, come up with something more original and "magic."

spectropluto

bye, Merlin!

This is being replaced by a 'learn to be a princess or prince' show ala the Jack Sparrow pirate show in Adventureland.

For me, I'll take Merlin.

found on Magical Mountain Web Site:

More on The Royal Court Academy: Guests will join Sir Cecil and Lady Cecilia, the Royal Image Consultants, who will teach the ABC's of becoming royalty. Guests will be presented to a Disney prince and princess in a grand finale of singing and dancing at a Royal Ball. This will take place in the Cinderella Castle Courtyard.

We'll miss ya, Merlin!

merlin01.jpg

merlin04.jpg

joanna71985

*sigh* I've seen this on a couple of occasions. I'm not disappointed when some shows are taken away (cinderalabration for example) but not only was this a classic, but a good classic. It's the type of small detail and experience that many people miss but that makes Disney what it is.

I hope that the "princess and pirates" show thing isn't true. How much more of that do we need? We already have princess-everything and the learn to be a pirate show. It's not, like someone else said, that this was an expensive or complicated show, but it lived up to Fantasyland's name. If they felt that a new show was needed, then fine, I understand and I could see their point, but come on, come up with something more original and "magic."

It's true. They've already started casting for it.

elle72688

There are so many new shows coming to the MK that they are displacing others (like this) -- at least that's what I assume...... that's why there is speculation that the Trolley Show may be going, but so far no word.....

Higitus Figitus!

Not the Trolley Show. I hope that the speculation about the Trolley Show turns out to just be speculation in the end. I love that show!!!

I saw my first Sword in the Stone show when I was about seven and I loved it, though I haven't seen it for ten years. I hope the sword and stone marquee isn't removed...it's a classic Magic Kingdom photo spot!!

"Now approaching Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center."

joanna71985

Well, today was a sad day indeed. Today was the last day of the Sword in the Stone show. A lot of people showed out in support of Merlin. He did pictures with guests before the show, and CMs after the show. I got my picture with him. Here it is.
100_0472-1.jpg

DW1

The show was a classic and took up little space and resources. The corporate monster rolls on and kills another special moment in the parks history. They'll do some cheesy show now that is as generic as all these new ones (that pirates one is really sad and takes no thought at all, they rely on the childrens reactions to make the crowd laugh). Now they'll stuff tinkerbells shop with souviners and cheap prince and princess crap. Is there any corner of the parks now that have a quality moment without trying to pile on the cheap overpriced crap they sell.

I've been to Disney every year for the last 15 years, staying at least 2 weeks each time and it's sad to see the differences that have been poping up everywhere. Not to offend anyone on this site and I know the employees that visit here care alot about the parks and Disney but I was shocked at how rude some employees I ran into were this last trip. The magic that makes Disney special is slipping away. I expect these things from six flags or univerisal but not Disney.
Example: One female employee I ran into had the job of helping Timon and Rafiki form lines etc just as you come over the bridge into adventureland. There was a big line and she was helping take pictures for guests and opening autograph books. Eventually 3 college age boys joined the rear of the line. Once the girl employee saw them she left her area and went to flirt with them at the end of the line, asking them where their from, what parks they visited how long a stay etc. It was beyond idol chat because she stayed with them for over 10 minutes and never even again glanced at the characters. She walked with them through the line and never again spoke to any other prople. what aggravated me the most was she answered all therir stupid questions out loud including "HOW HOT IT IS IN THOSE COSTUMES" and even better "HOW MUCH THE PEOPLE IN THE COSTUMES GET PAID." this was out loud in front of all the kids. She seemed so desperate to please them that I felt embarassed for her.

bgraham34

I am surprised by them getting rid of Merlin. I have seen that show many times but mostly from Cindy's Castle for lunch. It shall be missed.

drew81

Well, today was a sad day indeed. Today was the last day of the Sword in the Stone show. A lot of people showed out in support of Merlin. He did pictures with guests before the show, and CMs after the show. I got my picture with him. Here it is.
100_0472-1.jpg

That's a great picture Joanna!!! I wish I could have been there to see Merlin one last time!!! Maybe he'll pop up once and while for a meet n greet at a special event????

JROK

Not to offend anyone on this site and I know the employees that visit here care alot about the parks and Disney but I was shocked at how rude some employees I ran into were this last trip. The magic that makes Disney special is slipping away. I expect these things from six flags or univerisal but not Disney.

It's not that rare of an occurrance... I run into rude CMs all the time... You just have to take it with a grain of salt because sometimes people are having bad days... It's really sad how much power they have and how easily they can ruin the magic and a guest's trip...

Lokheed

Wow, that's a real shame. I probably know the show word-for-word, having seen/heard it so many times while standing in line for SWSA. If I'd seen this earlier, I might have tried to take my son in on Tuesday. Ah, well. "Ta da, indeed."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom