Merchandise Watch '11: Turning the Corner on Unique Souvenirs?

Just a thought. I find cuter Disney merch at PacSun lately compared to ANYTHING I saw at WDW. Something is wrong with that. I should only be able to get the cute stuff in WDW. I don't wanna think "Oh I can just get that at PacSun for $23 as opposed to $35 here in WDW"

http://shop.pacsun.com/search/disney/Mickey-Sitting-Boxy-Tee/index.pro

I've actually tried it on. It's cute and comfortable. I just didn't have the money to purchase it at the time.

It's interesting you should say that...A friend of mine just went to Disneyland; when I saw him recently he was wearing a vintage Mickey t-shirt; I complimented him on it and asked him if he got it on his trip; he said "No I got it for $20 at the Gap after we got back from our trip haha!".

I've found the Disney clothes found outside of the parks generally tend to be much more tasteful than what is normally found inside the parks. (That doesn't stop me from looking/buying tshirts occasionally on WDW trips lol)

hokielutz

There are two polos that they were carrying last year. One is olive green and the other is tan. Both carry an embroidered "Walt Disney World" in D script on the front. Very nice for business casual offices or a nice dinner out. Only thing is the cost is $40... but its pretty good quality for the year that I have had it.

Sketch105

Two years ago I was at the MK for my birthday and they were carrying a retro "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" T-shirt. I still have it. I love the look, but wish they had had it in small/med when I found it. They only had large and its kinda big on me, but I figured it was the last one.

I was disappointed with the 40th merchandise since they seem to (obviously) advertise the attractions still operating at the park. The only merch I found with 20,000 Leagues on it was the retro map magnet. I would love for them to release a line of retro attraction posters for no longer operating attractions.

Another item that I'm happy with, though, is the collection of "character pins" they've released with Mr. Toad, Roger Rabbit, Yzma, and other underappreciated characters from the past. Its nice to see new merchandise using older, obscure properties.

pintraderpayee

My dad is teacher as well at a high school. They have to wear ID badges on lanyards so on our last WDW trip he bought a POTC lanyard and some pins. If you're gonna have to wear a lanyard, might as well have fun with it. :)
I do the same thing! Our badges are clip-on, but I wear a Disney Grad Nite lanyard around my neck with my classroom desk, door, and filing cabinet keys on it. I'm glad I'm not the only teacher who brings a little Disney magic to school!:D

37 days until we are Orlando bound for Grad Nite 2011 with 7 high school seniors :sohappy:

Kristamouse

I have found some more stylish ladies shirts at Hot Topic (I know I know) and H&M than at the parks...I wear them with my summer skirts and get askes by many guests which store I got them in...LOL...umm the Florence Mall in KY. I will have to check out PacSun, thanks for the tip.
I also have a problem with shopping for my kids for our trips...I really hate character tee's. I made my daughters pillow case dresses from the polka dotted Minnie fabric, and gone on Etsy for some cute custom clothes. My 6 year old son loves his Darth Micky shirt! We are headed down over Labor Day and I will be doing some more Esty shopping:) I am also going doing some of my own crafting for the kids park clothes.

El-Fuego

Lurve Lenox

I was quite pleased with the breadth of choice in all the parks and even bought a smart sleeveless shirt with a little D script logo which I can wear anywhere without feeling like I'm overtly promoting the Disney brand. Like others on this site I have been put off by overly branded clothes in the past.

Also, we absolutely love the Lenox range which appears in a few stores (I forget the exact names of each) along with gorgeous paintings and other figurines. These are high end products but are very special with it and the Lenox figurines we brought back take pride of place in our home.:)

MKCP 1985

I do the same thing! Our badges are clip-on, but I wear a Disney Grad Nite lanyard around my neck with my classroom desk, door, and filing cabinet keys on it. I'm glad I'm not the only teacher who brings a little Disney magic to school!:D

37 days until we are Orlando bound for Grad Nite 2011 with 7 high school seniors :sohappy:

a/k/a "The Last Waltz" Enjoy! :king:

puntagordabob

but I think the corner has been turned.​

I agree.... progress is being made......
Does your caps key get stuck on those letters or are you doing that on purpose?

I understood why they did it.... caused no harm...no need to make a post about it....thats up to the the site owner to determine what they will and will not allow, not you or I.

We bought magnets that look ike A-E tickets today at the MK. They were great until we got to the D Ticket that had the "Tiki Room" listed as"Under New Management." It is stupid mistakes like this that show that Disney has lttle care for their hard core fans.

Of ALL the attractions to make the error on too... sorta resembles the sound of fingernails scratching on a chalkboard!!!

On my last night of my recent trip we went to The Wave for dinner and visited the gift shop on the Concourse. We stayed at AS-Sports and found the merchandise at the Contemporary Resort to be quite different from the other shops we visited. My wife said we going to start our shopping sprees at the deluxe hotels next time.

....Love the CR!!!

Well, I don't own an Duffy, and chances are that I never will. But I am pretty sure my youngest daughter will. I think he is just fine. A touch contrived, but fine. Plush toys are just not my cup of tea.

I also don't mind Vinylmations and Pin's. I don't quite see the appeal of Vinylmations but if people like them (and my oldest daughter does) then more power to them. I also don't find them obtrusive.

As for pins taking over the shop in Frontierland - that's because it's pin shop. :)

-dave

Pins are ok... Vinyl not my thing.... Duffy is ok (my kid likes him!) and I do like the 40th Anniv outfit they have on him...

Because they do sell the exact shirt in Disneyland, however it is screened differently. I would rather have them spend money elsewhere than worry about putting different tags, that only the 'wearer' will see, on the interiors of the shirts that are sold in stateside parks. IMHO.

Tags are fine...they want to add Tokyp - Paris- and Hong Kong to the tags then thats Just fine too.... its what is on the exterior that matters :)

Now i know a lot of you don't like vinylmations but here is my current collection. The one in the center directly under the TV is a pocket watch and vinyl combo and is currently my holy grail.

DSC02127.jpg

Not my thing, but I definitely think your collection is darn IMPRESSIVE and well displayed!!!! Nice!

I agree, and while on the subject of pins, it's impossible to do a search/browse on ebay for unique souvenirs because 90% of the WDW items for sale are the $#$@ pins! Unless someone knows a way to filter out only pins and still see everything else WDW - I'd love to know. :brick:

type - before any word and it will omit results with that. -pins -disneyland etc....
Anybody see if they released a collectors plate for the 4oth? Disneyland made some beautiful ones for their 4oth...

Not that I recall...but I would imagine one is either out (and I have missed it thus far) or else one is in the making.

Great idea with the lanyard!!!

Sadly your students will be the last to visit WDW for Grad Night... attended mine in 1985.... sorta sad to see an annual right of passage draw to a close....

tirian

Why do I envision you bowing before your Vinylmation shrine?

:lol:

(I've collected a few of the big ones, too. :lookaroun)

zimaaaaah

oh my lord, i LOVE that shirt. But I just cant bring myself to buy it cause ive only seen it in mens sizes. why dont they make shirts for women sizes too??!?! the women sizes are always dumb and pink with glitter or other cliche girly things. apparently tshirt makes dont think women want to wear fun shirts too! boo. :zipit:

I know what you mean! I HAD to have it so I just sized down and did some re-working on the collar when I got it home. People don't get it and I can't really explain the whole monorail monologue is cool thing to them, so .... :shrug: but I love it ! !

wayneway

I think the merchandise has improved, although it's not even close to the past offerings. The thing that gets me it seems like WDW management has no problem trying to make money off of our memories, I'm not talking about good memories but rather the bitter sweet memories. Don't give me a Dreamfinder and Figment t-shirt, give me a Journey Into Imagination attraction with Dreamfinder and Figment, then sell me a t-shirt. Don't give me a EPCOT CENTER t-shirt with all the old attraction symbols on it, give me the name EPCOT CENTER and use the symbols again, then sell me a t-shirt....the list can go on and on...

I think the merchandise has improved, although it's not even close to the past offerings. The thing that gets me it seems like WDW management has no problem trying to make money off of our memories, I'm not talking about good memories but rather the bitter sweet memories. Don't give me a Dreamfinder and Figment t-shirt, give me a Journey Into Imagination attraction with Dreamfinder and Figment, then sell me a t-shirt. Don't give me a EPCOT CENTER t-shirt with all the old attraction symbols on it, give me the name EPCOT CENTER and use the symbols again, then sell me a t-shirt....the list can go on and on...

Don't give me Nick at Nite, give me black and white tv! Don't give me an ipod, give me a phonograph!

Is it possible to be a theme park luddite?

Admiral01

Premium Member
Don't give me Nick at Nite, give me black and white tv! Don't give me an ipod, give me a phonograph!

I don't think that is an appropriate comparison. Black and white tv is not superior to Nick at Nite. The phonograph is not superior to the iPod. But, EPCOT Center is superior to the current Epcot. Journey into Imagination with the Dreamfinder and the original, Billy Barty voiced Figment is superior to that abomination of an attraction currently housed within the glass pyramids.

That is how they are different. I love the throwback merchandise. I love the symbols, etc. But, I would much rather see the symbols, rides, and the rest of the stuff actually back in EPCOT...then I would be much more willing to purchase the goods. That is the 40th I want: bring back more of the original EPCOT.

wayneway

Your looking past the point I was trying to make....FYI, some black and white tv shows were some of the best and then the technology was improved and we have color tv, even HD...the phonograph evolved into records and they evolved into cassettes, cd's, mp3's....even though records sound better than your ipod. Point is that everything you mentioned had been improved from the past for the most part....my post mentioned things that have declined in quality since the past...maybe apple will just stop selling ipods then offer you a t-shirt with a picture of one on it. :wave:

maybe apple will just stop selling ipods then offer you a t-shirt with a picture of one on it. :wave:

Has Disney stopped selling tickets to Epcot?

While I appreciate nostalgia and did enjoy some of the things you mentioned in your post, Disney would have been foolish (and bankrupt) if they didn't replace/update/keep their parks fresh by constantly moving forward. The rides replaced/updated were seen as flagging and in need of replacement. Last I checked, Epcot is doing pretty phenomenally well attendance wise so I guess not everyone wishes a park that existed 30 years ago was still around completely unchanged.

I don't disagree with you about Figment though. (I think they should replace the ride all together. Never been a fan.)

Wilt Dasney

EPCOT Center is superior to the current Epcot. Journey into Imagination with the Dreamfinder and the original, Billy Barty voiced Figment is superior to that abomination of an attraction currently housed within the glass pyramids.
And the original park and attraction are both superior to T-shirts based on them...which seemed to be the point the other poster was really after. :)

stratman50th

Forums are nice. You get to read about what other people think, and at the same time realize that you aren't alone on things. My wife and I have been complaining about the lack of park/resort specific souvenirs since the first Disney Store opened up. Lots of stuff packed in the last 11 pages!
Vinyl- Don't understand it. Last time I was there I asked the CM at the counter to explain and he just said it's something to collect. Ok by me. Still don't get it but whatever.
Pins are the same way, except I at least understand the premise. Don't do them myself, but I understand the lure.
Every year we would buy a dated CHRISTmas ornament from the resort we were staying at, and a general WDW ornament that we liked from that year. (I don't normally roll with the all caps myself, but don't see any harm in it. They aren't preaching, just expressing in a subdued way).
I had an EPCOT t-shirt from when Test Track first opened. On the front was a small logo of mickey and the gang as crash dummies in a Test Track car framed with a set of checkered ears. Same logo on the back but full sized. I had that shirt until about 3 years ago when my wife finally threw it away because it had so many holes in it. I went to replace it and they were finally gone. :( When you all refer to retro EPCOT shirts, that wouldn't be one of them, would it?:eek:
This has been said, but I'll just comment on the agree side, I would love to see more park specific and resort specific products for sale. I would really REALLY like it if it were quality merchandise but like someone said, baby steps.
I have a couple of polo shirts with mickey on the left front, small with nothing on the back. I think they were about $45.00, and I can't wear them any longer so they have to be at least 10 or 12 years old (maybe older?).
Our favorite MUST STOP was always the large gift shop in EPCOT, as you're walking from the fountain towards Mission Space and Test Track, on the right hand side as you walk through the buildings. Can't recall the name, but it really had a good selection and we always came away with something if not unique, at least better than the typical junk.
So I know I forgot some of the stuff I was going to mention after 11 pages, but on our trip this June I really hope to see and bring home some of the better quality items that have been mentioned. It just seems that if you spend the time and money to go to WDW, you should be able to bring something back that you can't get at WalMart, or a Disney Store. Heck, even Disneyland!

wayneway

Has Disney stopped selling tickets to Epcot?

While I appreciate nostalgia and did enjoy some of the things you mentioned in your post, Disney would have been foolish (and bankrupt) if they didn't replace/update/keep their parks fresh by constantly moving forward. The rides replaced/updated were seen as flagging and in need of replacement. Last I checked, Epcot is doing pretty phenomenally well attendance wise so I guess not everyone wishes a park that existed 30 years ago was still around completely unchanged.

I don't disagree with you about Figment though. (I think they should replace the ride all together. Never been a fan.)

I'm all for updating and moving forward, I just don't think the best way to move forward is to destroy beloved attractions. There are ways to plus an attraction without leveling it. Haunted Mansion? I totally understand that even in a perfect world some things ultimately have to go, I just don't agree with some of the choices they have made.

I'm all for updating and moving forward, I just don't think the best way to move forward is to destroy beloved attractions. There are ways to plus an attraction without leveling it. Haunted Mansion? I totally understand that even in a perfect world some things ultimately have to go, I just don't agree with some of the choices they have made.

I agree with you here, but I think my problem with the argument for "should have left those rides standing and left them alone" is that it only looks at the past with rose colored glasses. Obviously those rides were not pulling in the attendance or ridership needed to sustain a park or to compete with other theme parks in the area; if they had been pulling in the numbers they would have been left alone. It's a pretty simple equation that leads to a pretty simple decision.

I can tell you from my experience that the last couple of years of Horizons existence, for example, there hardly seemed to be anyone on the ride. Same with WoM.

Also, not that I think they are better offerings but can you imagine if Universal offered up something like The Mummy and Disney stuck with...World of Motion? WoM is not exactly an E-ticket attraction that would pull in the millions of dollars of revenue a Mummy/Test Track type attraction does. The theme parks are a business, like it or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom