Merchandise Watch '11: Turning the Corner on Unique Souvenirs?

jakeman

It's difficult to word this properly so I don't sound like an arrogant snob, but I think the dichotomy makes sense. It seems to me that Disney has two starkly different audiences it needs to appease here: collectors or more affluent guests who have more discerning tastes (the minority) and more 'value conscious' (to put it politely) guests who just want something that say they visited WDW (the majority).

I think nine times out of ten, you'll find that the former group has more discerning taste, prefers more understated designs, and will pay more for quality than the latter group. The latter is generally less discerning, prefers ostentatious designs, and wants things as cheap in price as possible. Disney is trying to appease both demographics, and I see this as fine.

Yes, I'm painting with a really broad brush here, but this is the reality as I see it.

ETA: you mention ties--I don't suppose you have any photos? I'd love another 'hidden mickey' one that I can wear to the office on casual Fridays!
I agree. I have no issue with the separation at all and hope I didn't come across as such. The gulf between the two is growing wider now and is fairly noticeable. That is fine by me. I've said before, I really want to buy stuff at WDW, but up until about the last year or so, there was nothing that struck my fancy.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the ties. However, the subtlest ones I saw were a plain background and "spotted" with Mickey heads. The ties are moving in the right direction, but I'm not sure they are to the point where I would feel comfortable wearing them in a business setting. There may be some that I overlooked (I only stopped at one tie rack).

aladdin2007

Im sure the answer is yes but does Animal Kingdom carry the 40th merch? Is there a specific one location or is it basically in the majority of shops spread out? And is there a store there that carries general disney books and cd's? I know where to find everything in the parks usually except AK, havent been there in almost ten years but its where im headed tomorrow.
Thanks

Figment82

Im sure the answer is yes but does Animal Kingdom carry the 40th merch? Is there a specific one location or is it basically in the majority of shops spread out? And is there a store there that carries general disney books and cd's? I know where to find everything in the parks usually except AK, havent been there in almost ten years but its where im headed tomorrow.
Thanks

Island Merchantile is your best bet for all of the above-mentioned items. It's like the Emporium of DAK. They had a fairly nice selection of 40th merchandise in the main room in the middle of the shop. The books and CD's are close by as well.

tirian

Just a bump on this thread.

We just got back from 4 days and the above jacket and the corresponding gray and yellow do not have tourist vomit on the back.

The gray and red one however, has a GIANT 40 on the back. Two for three isn't bad.

Regarding merchandise as a whole, the high end stuff is better and the low end stuff is about the same.

However, there is an interesting dichotomy forming. As the nice stuff (polos, ties, jackets, watches, Art of Disney) gets nicer, the cheap stuff (sweatshirts, some t-shirts, trinkets in general) looks worse and worse.

We also noticed that they have started to divided the stores up into section of "cheap and tacky" and "modern and (relatively) nice".

The starkest examples of this was Hollywood Blvd. in DHS. Celebrity 5 & 10 (first store on the left past Crossroads of the World) now has a completely different feel than Keystone Clothier (next building down "across" Sunset Blvd.). It is like moving from a Target to a Gap in quality.

Just some general thoughts that were relevant to this thread.

Target to Gap? I don't know what your local Gap carries, but they're not known for much more than the basics. Plus, even the nicer Disney clothing is covered with character art. A more appropriate comparison would be the graphic tees at Wal-Mart versus those at PacSun. :lol:

WDWFigment, I'll paint in a more specific brush, and I apologize to anyone this might offend. Most of the Disney clothing at WDW is loud, obnoxious, and tasteless, clearly aimed at people who are unabashed tourists. I don't see many people wearing or buying this crap, so I'll assume most of Disney's Guests of any financial level have better taste than the garbage Disney offers. Then there's the premium merchandise, generally featuring better cuts and softer cotton, but priced like the Chuck Taylor section at Sak's. I can't really blame Guests for passing on this stuff either, because who is going to spend $50 on a t-shirt you can't wear back home?

A Ralph Lauren graphic tee retails for $35. The average price of one at Tren-D's is $45, and it's really a Hane's t-shirt. That's the problem with WDW merchandise.

Now that I've ranted, I'll agree that Epcot's merchant selection seems to improve weekly, and I spend way too much money there. :lol:

jakeman

Target to Gap? I don't know what your local Gap carries, but they're not known for much more than the basics. Plus, even the nicer Disney clothing is covered with character art. A more appropriate comparison would be the graphic tees at Wal-Mart versus those at PacSun. :lol:
It was more of a quality difference comparison than a style comparison (sort of like 3-2=1 and 450-449=1).

Mayhaps I should have gone with Old Navy rather than Gap.

Not to get lost in the analogy, and by no means am I saying that merchandise is at a level comparable to either of those stores, but there has been an improvement and I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging that, both here and with our spending in the park.

The jackets in the picture are very nice. They aren't $50 nice, but WDW fountain drinks aren't nicer in proportional to their cost over a fountain drink at a 7-11 either. There is an inherent inflation of prices at theme parks you just kind of have to deal with and it's been that way from the beginning.

I also agree that there is a long way to go. We would have bought the gray and red jacket if it didn't have the giant 40 on the back.

It's refreshing to see that there is the potential that Disney has turned the corner on at least some of the offerings.

I should also clarify that the "nice" offerings are still very much the minority of the merchandise. I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking all of a sudden there has been a rush of Banana Republic style tourist clothes there. What we saw could still fit very much into just Tatooine Traders and still have space left over and that's for men, women, and children.

COProgressFan

WDWFigment, I'll paint in a more specific brush, and I apologize to anyone this might offend. Most of the Disney clothing at WDW is loud, obnoxious, and tasteless for people who are unabashed tourists. I don't see many people wearing or buying this crap, so I'll assume most of Disney's Guests of any financial level have better taste than the garbage Disney offers. Then there's the premium merchandise, generally featuring better cuts and softer cotton, but priced like the Chuck Taylor section at Sak's. I can't really blame Guests for passing on this stuff either, because who is going to spend $50 on a t-shirt you can't wear back home?

A Ralph Lauren graphic tee retails for $35. The average price of one at Tren-D's is $45, and it's really a Hane's t-shirt. That's the problem with WDW merchandise.

That is exactly the problem. Most shirts are "vacation shirts" that are bright and obnoxious, covered with characters, the year, or some pointless marketing message. I know they are not something I would want to wear, although to each his own.

The problem is that the nicer stuff tends to be WAY overpriced. There is nothing to prevent WDW from offering simple or subtle, but nicely designed t-shirts for $20 bucks (which would still be about a 10x markup over cost).

Disney theme park prices (for merch and food) have always been, and always will be higher than in the outside world. In recent years, however, in many instances the ratio of value/quality has gone completely out of whack.

MKCP 1985

it is all overpriced, the good stuff and the tacky stuff, unless you buy it at clearance or at the Kissimmee Wal Mart, but the last time I was in that store, the line to check out was longer than the line at Soarin'!

tirian

The problem is that the nicer stuff tends to be WAY overpriced. There is nothing to prevent WDW from offering simple or subtle, but nicely designed t-shirts for $20 bucks (which would still be about a 10x markup over cost).
The funny thing is, they did this with the ubiquitous old-school Mickey/WDW logo shirts. They're well-cut tees with a soft screen print; and priced at $14.99, everybody is buying them. Sure, the price is right, but the retro appeal and fit don't hurt. Compare this to the Classic Mickey T-shirt collection, which is basically the same quality but in huge, oversized cuts.

Disney theme park prices (for merch and food) have always been, and always will be higher than in the outside world. In recent years, however, in many instances the ratio of value/quality has gone completely out of whack.
If you look at graphic tees in a local screen print shop or trendy stores (PacSun, Express, etc.), Disney's prices aren't completely outrageous. But the Disney shirt quality is generally average, and the designs are mostly overdone.

It's like the same people responsible for the Wand were moved to merch design.

Again, I do agree with the OP that the merch situation is indeed improving. They just need to balance the value/quality better to justify the prices.

RSoxNo1

A few things - first, I saw this poster in One Man's Dream earlier this month. I did not see it on display underneath the Train Station at the Magic Kingdom

IMG_5560.jpg

Second, I would really like to see them add more posters to the Art on Demand (including this one). I'd love to see this poster, Thunder Mountain, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride added to the options.

MKCP 1985

A few things - first, I saw this poster in One Man's Dream earlier this month. I did not see it on display underneath the Train Station at the Magic Kingdom

IMG_5560.jpg

Second, I would really like to see them add more posters to the Art on Demand (including this one). I'd love to see this poster, Thunder Mountain, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride added to the options.

Here's my photo of the poster in the Train Station, taken during early December on a Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party night:

163909_1660959597197_1033398114_1727689_4531481_n.jpg

Identical, are they not?

wedway71

This is going to sound beyong so I am almost weary if I should post...

No I am not as bad a "Monk"...close by not as bad...

I notice small things in the shops since I am a Retail Consultant..

I was at WDW for a week or so... And noticed that the Oxford Dress Shirts were merchandised differently from one shop to another. Some were hanging on hangers while in other shops, they were still in the clear plastic bags laying on a table. Which was interesting that the shirts still in plastic were at AK. I would have thought that since there are animals, things like plastic would be taboo there.

I would think that Disney has the same merchandise standards for all locations instead of the "Hyper Local" way to merchandise a store....

Again... I notice these things because
(1) I am a Dork.
(2) I work with Retailers all the time.:wave:

pintraderpayee

I must be one o them there garish unsofistacated toorists cuz i shop for shirts dat say Didney Worl on dem and own near bout 200 pins. I wears a different pin ever day ta school cuz my students thanks that be my trademark:ROFLOL:

inluvwithbeast

I must be one o them there garish unsofistacated toorists cuz i shop for shirts dat say Didney Worl on dem and own near bout 200 pins. I wears a different pin ever day ta school cuz my students thanks that be my trademark:ROFLOL:

My dad is teacher as well at a high school. They have to wear ID badges on lanyards so on our last WDW trip he bought a POTC lanyard and some pins. If you're gonna have to wear a lanyard, might as well have fun with it. :)

inluvwithbeast

Just a thought. I find cuter Disney merch at PacSun lately compared to ANYTHING I saw at WDW. Something is wrong with that. I should only be able to get the cute stuff in WDW. I don't wanna think "Oh I can just get that at PacSun for $23 as opposed to $35 here in WDW"

http://shop.pacsun.com/search/disney/Mickey-Sitting-Boxy-Tee/index.pro

I've actually tried it on. It's cute and comfortable. I just didn't have the money to purchase it at the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom