Merchandise Watch '11: Turning the Corner on Unique Souvenirs?

TheDisneyMagic

The best change I have noticed over the last few months is plushes, for a long time there was so many of these getting past quality control that looked nothing like the character they were made to look like.

Many of their faces were dreadful and of lower quality than what would come out of a claw machine.

Late half of last year though and many of this had improoved ten fold. Now they just need to start making better quality Figment plushes again like the 80s and 90s and I'm bought.

Phonedave

I like pins - but recently none of the new ones have appealed to me

My daughters like Vinylmations - I have no idea why, but they like them.

Nobody likes Duffy - die die die (actually, I have a feeling my youngest is going to really like it once she is introduced to it, as she is a big Build-a-Bear junkie, and loves bears you can dress up)

Now for me. Disney clothes do not thrill me. I am not a big fan of giant characters plastered all over things. More subdued clothing would be appreciated. I am more of a 'items' fan. Cool looking nick-nacks, luggage tags, kitchen utensils (like my Stormtrooper head shaped pancake turner :) ), and that sort of stuff is what I like. I see precious little of it that is unique. Most is just the theme of the current promotion.

Disney FINALLY has a automatic watch - an honest, mechanical, self winding watch. Not a freaking eco-drive. I saw it in WoD earlier this month. The CM told me it has been out for a couple of months now. I always ask if they have any automatics when I go, and they always show me an Eco Drive - that is NOT an automatic. This one is priced at $175, is made by the Disney Watch Company, and unfortunately is worth about $175 - it feels like it is made out of tin. But it is a start, maybe they will start getting some decent watches.

-dave

WDW-Crazy

Come on Disney...bring back the monorail accessories for the 40th!

Seriously, I'm happy to hear that the merchandise has been improving. I'm not sure what I want to get when we're back this September. Hopefully there will be a lot more in variety by that time.

tiaragirl

I agree, I think some merchandise has been improving the past couple years or so. There have been many more clothing options that are more stylish than a typical huge oversized "vacation" t-shirt. As others have mentioned, a polo shirt with a subtle "D" or Mickey silhouette is much more appealing than a character covered screen print shirt. I don't fit into the pack wearing Disney mom demographic.

While this is true, it's a little misleading - because the 'more stylish' shirts are generally about 10$ more and made of paper thin fabric. There was a particular t-shirt I almost purchased in May (purple vneck with hearts and hidden Mickey's) but I couldn't justify the 32$ price tag, especially when I could buy something of the same quality at a Forever 21 for 8$.

Which makes me sad, because I LOVED that shirt.

That being said, it's promising that they've stopped with solely 'vacation' t-shirts, because I think they'll sell a lot more, even if the more fashionable shirts are over priced.

ABigBrassBand

I love those Polynesian shirts, and think that Disney is well on their way to not having generic merchandise, Vinylmation is an example of this.

mrtoad

I personally don't buy a lot of stuff for myself anymore on my trips. Partly because all my souvenir money winds up going to stuff for my kids and partly because in recent years I really did not see much I really wanted. I did see though on this trip some nice new tees with retro styling that I liked and picked up one. As for vinylmation, my kids spent 90% of their money on it them on our last trip. I think they are neat and all but nothing compared to what they think of them....

MickeyPeace

The unholy trinity of crap merchandise would include pins, Vinylmation and Duffy the bear. All three of these, separately and together, simply separate you from your hard earned money and offer nothing of joy and true Disney sentiment in return.

I completely agree. The "unholy trinity" is clogging up every unique shop on property. The shop in Frontierland is now almost all of this crap. Last year I bought a great unique Frontierland t shirt there. This year I spent zero dollars because of Vinylmation etc.

The only place I bought merch this year was in Asia in Animal Kingdom. Zerka Zong has unique items. The diversity and site specific merchandise is what I would like to see everywhere on property.

NewfieFan

I'm just super happy with the EPCOT Center t-shirts that have been released in the past few years. (But more women styles, please!)

Yes and yes! Even a small makes me look like I'm wearing a night dress!?!

All the fitted ladies tees have the Epcot design with characters all over it... not my thing!

I found a fitted tee with It's a Small World on it ~ love it! I also found a funky Mickey tee in TrenD that I love as well... paid a little more for it but it is good quality and fits me well!

And for all the Duffy haters out there... I'm sorry but my kids love him! I can not tell you the joy that bear brings to my children.

Skipper Dan

I think merch' has dramatically improved. Of course there are things that still need improvement, but for the most part, things seem thought out, and not so generic.

When I saw the iPhone 4 and iPad cases, I need hit the floor.

PS I bought an iPad case. :cool:

waltsfavrob

The quality of the shirts are less desirable than years past.They signed a 10 year contract with Hanes in 2007:(. Before it was Russell Corp. shirts...they didn't shrink,they held their shape and had a true cut to them. I said I wasn't buying shirts when we went for CHRISTmas but couldn't resist because of the designs...wish I had kept myself from buying them.The Hanes are slim cut..especially under the armpit,they shrink and don't hold their shape. We usually wait til we get to the outlet in St.Augustine to buy our gifts.:D

DougK

You make good points as usual Figment, but I think many of us will feel the corner has been turned when Disney goes back to resort-specific refillable mugs. They are both functional and a great souvenir. Maybe they are coming soon...

waltsfavrob

You make good points as usual Figment, but I think many of us will feel the corner has been turned when Disney goes back to resort-specific refillable mugs. They are both functional and a great souvenir. Maybe they are coming soon...
We got the refillable mugs at CHRISTmas and they are cheaply made now too.The ones we have from 2007 and back are made a lot better than the 2010 versions.:(

docandsix

The family and I just returned from a nine-day trip over Marathon Weekend and following. (I've been thinking about filing a trip report, but reality is catching up and time is running short.) We've now been to WDW three separate times in the past year--unprecedented for us--facilitated by business and annual passes.

Anyway, I found about five times as much interesting merchandise on this trip than in Feb. '10 or Nov. '10. Most of it was of the 40th anniversary variety, but a lot of it was also attraction-specific. One item of clothing I liked the most was an American Adventure T-shirt, with the attraction's name emblazoned across the top and a number of early American flags (Don't Tread On Me, etc.) below--very, very nice.

Unfortunately, this shirt was not available in my size--only Small, XXL, and XXXL. This was common throughout the resort--stuff I wanted to purchase available only in "extreme" sizes and nothing that would fit me. I guess that means that some of this new stuff is appealing and is flying off the shelves. I just wish it would've stayed until I arrived.

On the subject of absurd Duffy, those hideous VINYLMATION things and the ubiquitous pins, I have this to say: Different strokes for different folks, but please limit their presence to appropriate locations. Vinylmation has NO place in the Dinosaur post-show store.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think the merch has improved greatly the past couple of years. I've definietly purchased a lot more of it than I have in the earlier part of the past decade. I love the retro/ vintage shirts and the more specific merchandise, as opposed to the awful "Disney Parks" nonsense they peddled on us for years.

I also completely empathize with the "over doing it" on shirts. I can't tell you how many polo shirts I've almost bought, but ultimately declined, because they all had something outlandish on the back. I would love to wear a nice Disney polo to work, but I don't need it to SCREAM Disney. Oftentimes, less is a whole lot more.

And fortunately, they are moving towards more fitted style shirts, which I love. Those oversized shirts were what Larry David termed "floaters", when they were too big and bulky in the back.

Oh, and for the record...I'm probably going to buy a Duffy the Bear. So I guess you can take away my membership in the WDW Fan Club because of this atrocious crime against humanity I'm going to commit next month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom