Merchandise Watch '11: Turning the Corner on Unique Souvenirs?

quirkle

I think merch' has dramatically improved. Of course there are things that still need improvement, but for the most part, things seem thought out, and not so generic.

When I saw the iPhone 4 and iPad cases, I need hit the floor.

PS I bought an iPad case. :cool:
Where was the iphone case? I have an iphone 3gs and want a castle cover.

On another note - pins are the way to go for my daughters. I buy ones for cheap on ebay and then they can trade all they want. It is less expensive than other stuff and then we can put them in our memory book.

This has led to our buying pins at other destinations we go to (DC, NYC etc) instead of another plush!:wave:

Bender!

I think the merchandising has gotten better over the past few years. Last year, however, I did notice a slight trend towards "preppy" styles. As in, night shirts with the Mickey logo on the bottom, character and world shirts with their conception year on them, etc.

I remember 2009, though. There was next to NOTHING I wanted.

sweetpee_1993

I think the merch has improved greatly the past couple of years. I've definietly purchased a lot more of it than I have in the earlier part of the past decade. I love the retro/ vintage shirts and the more specific merchandise, as opposed to the awful "Disney Parks" nonsense they peddled on us for years.

I also completely empathize with the "over doing it" on shirts. I can't tell you how many polo shirts I've almost bought, but ultimately declined, because they all had something outlandish on the back. I would love to wear a nice Disney polo to work, but I don't need it to SCREAM Disney. Oftentimes, less is a whole lot more.

And fortunately, they are moving towards more fitted style shirts, which I love. Those oversized shirts were what Larry David termed "floaters", when they were too big and bulky in the back.

Oh, and for the record...I'm probably going to buy a Duffy the Bear. So I guess you can take away my membership in the WDW Fan Club because of this atrocious crime against humanity I'm going to commit next month.

I own 3 Duffy's and I could care less what others think. I love him. I look for Duffy stuff wherever I go in the parks. We'll just have to start the WDW Fan Club Flunkies group for those of us who don't get our drawers in a flap over a Teddy bear. :D

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Last year, however, I did notice a slight trend towards "preppy" styles. As in, night shirts with the Mickey logo on the bottom, character and world shirts with their conception year on them, etc.

I remember 2009, though. There was next to NOTHING I wanted.

I'm not quite sure I follow. What's preppy about that? I don't think Disney really makes any preppy clothing.

The American Adventure shirt someone above mentioned sounds awesome!

bgraham34

I am glad to hear that there are new merch compared to years past. I can't wait to go in March and see what is available. Hopefully some new Wilderness Lodge items will be available.

Figment82

New 40th merchandise seems to be coming out on a weekly basis now. Last night I found a limited release ear hat ($79.95) that is amazing and, I think, one of the best pieces to come out so far. It must be new, as the Emporium CMs were trying to tell me it was a display piece only and not for sale.

It comes in a lined hat box, with the "collage" look printed all over the outside. The hat itself has "1971" and the classic D logo on the ears, and a metal Mickey Mouse Club logo. The inside has the old stylized resort map (complete with the Venetian, Asian and Persian hotels). It also comes with 3 retro patches.

I love seeing all of this great 40th merchandise (although my wallet doesn't!) and I hope it's a sign of good things to come. :)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
New 40th merchandise seems to be coming out on a weekly basis now. Last night I found a limited release ear hat ($79.95) that is amazing and, I think, one of the best pieces to come out so far. It must be new, as the Emporium CMs were trying to tell me it was a display piece only and not for sale.

It comes in a lined hat box, with the "collage" look printed all over the outside. The hat itself has "1971" and the classic D logo on the ears, and a metal Mickey Mouse Club logo. The inside has the old stylized resort map (complete with the Venetian, Asian and Persian hotels). It also comes with 3 retro patches.

I love seeing all of this great 40th merchandise (although my wallet doesn't!) and I hope it's a sign of good things to come. :)

Photos?!?!?

Bender!

I'm not quite sure I follow. What's preppy about that? I don't think Disney really makes any preppy clothing.

The American Adventure shirt someone above mentioned sounds awesome!
I meant to say thats the kind of look some of the hoodies were emulating. Its not exactly preppy. I was just basing that off of the last two digits of the year and their vintage rips.

Coaster3001

We bought magnets that look ike A-E tickets today at the MK. They were great until we got to the D Ticket that had the "Tiki Room" listed as"Under New Management." It is stupid mistakes like this that show that Disney has lttle care for their hard core fans.

cymbaldiva

I'm not sure how long they've been around (maybe two years), but I absolutely LOVE the "Por favor..." monorail t-shirts. It's just esoteric enough that nobody would really get it unless they were fellow WDW fans like you.

I love that shirt! Mine's a bit too big, but I wear it for a sleep shirt; I hope to pick up another one someday that's more size appropriate. :)

I agree - it does seem like the merchandise is getting a bit better. However i won't be happy until they bring back the cool resort specific mugs.

Agreed - I miss those; still pick them up on Ebay from time to time.

I won't have time to take/post photos of the hat tonight, but I found a site with a nice photo:

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/disney-world-40th-anniversary-merchandise-now-parks

Thank you for the link!

The Duck

My past few visits I've noticed very little variety regarding character merchandise. You would expect to see Mickey souvenirs every 3 feet or so but other than that, I've found the shops loaded with Tinker Bell, Grumpy, Cars, and Jack Sparrow with relatively little of anything else. I'm a Donald Duck collector and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find anything decent with his likeness (that doesn't cost a fortune, that is). I'm heading to WDW in about a week and a half and I'm hoping for better luck this visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom