May I vent??

rlaeromech

Ok so here goes, had a client come in today started talking about how disney went up on their tickets (hello , already knew that..) anyway then she procedes to say" uhh , how can you go there and afford that all the time?"..mind you with a look of total disgust on her face...So I tell her that we're pass holders which works for us better..." well why do you do that, you don't live in Florida , uhh thats such a waste of money" ..Is what I get from her...So I procede to tell her ( because now I'm really offended, yes I know different strokes for different folks but still) That for us it works we go there once , twice a year and unlike her We trully enjoy it there and not just cause we have kids , we love it as adults!!! So the best was when she said "so do you do anything else besides disney world , like epcot?".....HELLO ITS THE SAME PLACE YA MORON!!!!! Sorry I'm better now so yes I told her (did'nt bother to correct her , no use) that yes we do Epcot, Animal Kingdom The studios, water parks and etc....She still looked disgusted.....I hAd to bite my tounge.....It amazes me how rude some people are..Ok I knew you guys would understand...I'm sure some of you have had an experince as such..feel free.....tell a story....

And just to let you know, she is the only client that I have that always say something rude about my going to disney( there have been times that I don't even say anything to her if I go, unless it falls on her day to come in).....My other clients, say they live through me....they think its great...

34 more days................till I'm at WALT DISNEY WORLD>>>>Say it loud and proud baby!!!!!

I USED TO BE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE! My cousin "DEGUNTER" was always a big fan and I would never go cause I thought it was just a kids place with "kiddie rides" I'm not sure exactly how it happened but on a business trip to Orlando I met my cousin there and we did all 4 parks in 1 day. After that I decided I had to bring my 2 year old daughter and wife and also my wife's 2 younger sisters, 14 and 16. After that trip I was officially hooked. It wasn't until I saw the entire resort for what it is. Not just a "THEME PARK" Everything! The roads, the grounds, DTD, how much planning was put into everything. All that is part of the experience. You can't even begin to compare it to another park. Its not a park, its a different PLACE, from the moment you go under the big sign, or get on the magical express. Its starts long before you walk thru the ticket gate.

I find these same people ussually make habitual trips to Biloxi, MS or Las Vegas. And they ask me how I can afford it??????

Disneybub

I've just recently started a new job - now everyone at my last job knew i loved Disney to bits and if they didn't like it they didn't say anything.

BUT... everyone here keeps asking me why i dont go on a "proper" holiday??? and how i could go somewhere better for less???

HELLO???? what the heck do they know?

It is so frustrating, and i find i get kinda defensive when people put it down!!!

Rant over.... lol.

sweetpee_1993

Oh yeah. I used to work with a guy that finally, begrudgingly, took his wife and 5 year old to Disney. Before he left I asked him a few questions about plans but he blew me off saying his wife handled all that. When he got back I was eager to ask him how much they enjoyed themselves. He laughed at me and went into a 20 minute schpiel about how horrible and miserable and a rip-off the whole trip was. I listened carefully then asked where they stayed. Off-property in a rental house. I asked if they used FastPass, what restaurants they had ADR's for. Nothing. Then I asked about specific attractions and he was clueless. Again, I asked who planned the trip. His wife who had never been before. I just laughed and asked why he would spend that kind of money and not do any homework. I told him that Disney is a world unto itself. You wouldn't walk blindly into another city or country. You'd know what was there and what you wanted to do. I told him that if he'd take the time to get an experienced Disney-specific travel agent or spent time educating himself with other people who knew all about WDW his trip could be an entirely different experience. I doubt he'll go back. I feel bad for the kid. :)

Another co-worker who worked in a different building and I had never even met came bouncing into my cubicle one day laughing. He said he was taking his family to WDW for the first time, that he hadn't been in 12 years. He heard I was a huge fan and went frequently. He had a list of written questions to ask. We sat for a couple hours going over things. When he got back from his trip I ran over to his building to find out how it went. Pure magic! They looooved it and had already made reservations to go back.

Two different fellows with two different attitudes. Two veeeeery different results. :)

jjgoo

This is a great thread. I just want top put in my two cents.

I usually just say to people that start to question my vacation choices, WDW or otherwise, "Well, I'll be sure not to invite you along with me."

It's nice enough not to be rude. When you say it with a smile it very fully gets across the point that I do not value their opinion nor do I care to hear it and my vacation is my business. :D

It usually shuts them up pretty well.

Heatherbell

I get "you're going THERE AGAIN??" And my all time, personal favorite is "you don't even have any kids." We can't have kids so I normally shut them up with a response of "no, we CAN'T have kids. So, does that mean we're not ALLOWED to go to Disney?" We are AP holders and find it more affordable to visit using the various discounts. I'd rather be at WDW than any other place I can think of.

We have kids but this year my husband and I are doing a solo trip. I just finished nursing school and while I was in school he worked TWO FULL time jobs to support me through school. I am exhausted from school and he is exhausted from work, not to mention everyday life (kids, house etc). We decided that we were entitled to a few days in WDW ALONE.

Sometimes I feel kind of guilty about not taking them but we need the time to relax from life and be kids ourselves. Anyway, slightly off topic but my point is you do not need kids to go to Disney. Thats what is so great about it and probably the reason why so many people like to go. It is a GREAT seperation from reality where you really can be a kid and have a great time. And I think it is great that people are so into WDW. Disney is a nice thing to love.

Alexx

My friends and my parents friends say to us "don't you get bored of going to florida all the time, why don't you go somewhere else" and we're like "No!!!" They don't know what it's like you see, they haven't been.

I also get "you're going to florida AGAIN!?" you've been there loads of times.
My reply "so, whats your point?"

devoy1701

OK I didn't feel like reading through all of these...but I read the first 3 pages. What I'm gonna say will probably mostly apply to Floridians or just people on the I-4 Corridor. BUT...

Have any of you ever tried to introduce a "hater" to Disney by bringing them with you?

it's like a mission of mine. I have a goal of trying to convince atleast 4 people a year that Disney is an amazing place! They always make comments like "it's just way too crowded" or "there's nothing new there! It gets boring." I tell them every time that Disney isn't jsut about the parks and attractions...it's the whole atmosphere...it's the resorts, the cast members, the FIREWORKS!!! I've gone up to disney probably 6 times this year, sometimes not even going to the parks but just to go to the Boardwalk and relax.

anyway, I'm 2 for 4 this year.

jsfra209

Hi there all, This is a great thread!!!!! Special kudos for the great laughter I got from Jsfra's story!!!! I probably would have hauled off and hit him so please remind him what a great lady he is married too!!!!
As far as most of the people I know who as the inevitable "again?" folks, I can usually turn around and ask them " oh where are you planning to go away to this year?" and dont get any response at all!!!!! Soif you arent going anywhere anyhow, how can you possibly criticize me???? DUH!!!!!!!!!!
Also there are so many people who return toa specific resort or vacation destination year after year as well. That is their happy place, we all have certainly found ours!!!! Belle

LOL, thanks for your kudos! I believe sharing is caring! Anyway, I did want to hit him, and it got pretty close LOL...:hammer: -----just like that!

sweetpee_1993

We have kids but this year my husband and I are doing a solo trip. I just finished nursing school and while I was in school he worked TWO FULL time jobs to support me through school. I am exhausted from school and he is exhausted from work, not to mention everyday life (kids, house etc). We decided that we were entitled to a few days in WDW ALONE.

Hey! Congrats on your hard work! My hat is sooo off to you. I've contemplated and put off school for a long time because I have kids, etc. Stories like yours encourage me and get me to thinking I really ought to get off my lazy duff and just do it! Kuddos to you!

Sometimes I feel kind of guilty about not taking them but we need the time to relax from life and be kids ourselves. Anyway, slightly off topic but my point is you do not need kids to go to Disney. Thats what is so great about it and probably the reason why so many people like to go. It is a GREAT seperation from reality where you really can be a kid and have a great time. And I think it is great that people are so into WDW. Disney is a nice thing to love.

I feel ya! Last week my cousin and his wife presented me with the opportunity to join them for their (possible) trip next month to WDW with them and my Gramma. They know if would mean the world to me to have the chance to be in the world with my Gramma at least one last time (she is more and more physically unable to make that sort of trip). I am completely guilt-ridden over the prospect of going to 'The World' without my hubby or sons. It would be impossible to for the DH to take off work or the kids to take off school since we're already slated for our big trip in December. Plus, if I go I will be at WDW without the DH on our 14th wedding anniversary. DH is still insistant that if there's a chance to go he would wants me to do it more than anything. I guess he knows how much it means to me along with all the regrets I have for missing so many opportunities at quality time before my Grampa passed. I just feel like such a heeeeeeel. So I can totally sympathize on the guilt. :)

Have fun on a much-deserved fun-tastic celebration of your accomplishments, dedication, and teamwork!

mickeymouse2818

Wow this is such a great thread and it turns out I have a similar situation. I have a friend (who is very much into Disney now) did not really go alot with her family when she was younger, she never understood why I would blab about it all day long. Well last year, I got to go to Disney for the first time on my own and invited her along. Lets just say, she is just as insane about Disney as I am and are making a tradition to go in the fall every year.

Isn't it great how we can convert others with no or little Disney experience to becoming full fledged fans (wow thats a mouth full)

tooltime

when i told someone we were taking a family vacation and then i told them, excitedly, we're going to WDW...they chuckled and said..."well, you have kids"

like i'm not a kid there too?

different strokes...like the OP stated

mgraef

Everyone I know just understands that we are going every year so when I got back from the Black Hills in SD they all asked me if it was hot in FLA in July.

I told them I assumed that it was....:shrug:

WDWsmith2001

I have an entire family of people and friends too it seems that see Disney as a kids only thing. I can only dream of an adult romantic trip there. Bah...

majortom1981

hmm

I want to say to the topic creator that you were really nasty to that person and shouldnt have been. Why werte you offended that she asked why you got a season pass if you only go once? What is so bad about asking that question?

I think you were nasty to that person and shouldnt have been. I hope all disney fans are not like that.

Justa' BigKid

majortom1981, I think you should give the original post another look. They were not rude to their client IMO. They were just venting here on the boards.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Some people just don't get it. They don't take the time or the effort to research specials and deals that would help save them money- they pay the "rack rate" for everything.

I just got a new teaching job at a new school, and during the first day of staff orientation, we played "2 Truths, 1 Lie." Everyone thought my "lie" was that I was an annual passholder and WDW and went down there an average of 5-6 times a year. Now, it's become a great conversation starter with my new colleagues, and already a few of them have approached me with the, "How do you do it?" questions.

smayco

I get this all the time until I explain to them the money I am saving by getting an AP as opposed to buying length-of-stay tickets. We save a boatload of money this way and also save on resort costs.

I recently went to Disney in April, the same week as a friend (though we didn't go together). She's always given me a hard time in the past, about how often I go, and how can I afford it, etc. After our trips, we compared notes.

Resorts: Us--Beach Club, Them--AS Sports
Length of stay: Us--6 nights, Them--5 nights
Number of family members: Us--4, Them--3

But guess what? Overall, we both spent the same amount of money!:ROFLOL: The reason was that my friend spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars :eek: on souvenirs (that she can't afford), and we didn't. While I could never leave Disney without some momentos, I'm fine with a T-shirt, or a hat, and I don't need to go crazy like she did. It adds up and it totally made the difference, allowing us to stay longer, and at a nicer hotel, than she did.

~Sue

dixiegirl

Original Poster
I want to say to the topic creator that you were really nasty to that person and shouldnt have been. Why werte you offended that she asked why you got a season pass if you only go once? What is so bad about asking that question?

I think you were nasty to that person and shouldnt have been. I hope all disney fans are not like that.

Its me the original topic creator...I was not at all nasty to my client when she asked me...and AS far as going to dIsney, I go at least twice a year so the AP (NOT season pass) works for us...And that I'm not a disney fan....whoa buddy , I guess going twice , three times a year is not a fan, being a DVC club member and AP holder is not a fan....my whole house is disney themed but I'm not a fan , listening to disney resort music such as , resort tv ,theme park music, monorail speals counts me not as a fan? Going On WDWMAGIC quite a few times a day , but I'm not a fan? you basicallly described a good majority of the "disney Fans " here....or maybe we're not, according to you!!!

DisneyBuffinDE

Its me the original topic creator...I was not at all nasty to my client when she asked me...and AS far as going to dIsney, I go at least twice a year so the AP (NOT season pass) works for us...And that I'm not a disney fan....whoa buddy , I guess going twice , three times a year is not a fan, being a DVC club member and AP holder is not a fan....my whole house is disney themed but I'm not a fan , listening to disney resort music such as , resort tv ,theme park music, monorail speals counts me not as a fan? Going On WDWMAGIC quite a few times a day , but I'm not a fan? you basicallly described a good majority of the "disney Fans " here....or maybe we're not, according to you!!!
:sohappy:

Ok now I feel like I'm doing work. I hate when people write before they read. You go Dixiegirl. I know what you mean with people like this. Next time let your client know that some people you talk to leave the kids at home and go with out them. That is what my husband and I are doing in October. We enjoy it as adults! If you do your finances right it really isn't that hard or expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom