Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

EmmieSue

You do know that you can request a partial refund for your AP, right? Disney is never going to make every single person happy with what they decide, and even before this, not everyone was, so we deal with what is in front of us, and make the best decisions for us.

And I only want a partial refund. I did get to go and enjoy it in January before everything shut down. But I don't think it should just be for when the parks were shut down. It should be for as long as masks are required as well. I will gladly pay for the months I could have and did use it prior to shut down and after the mask requirement is lifted. But we have a trip scheduled for the start of July (that we rebooked after April one was cancelled due to the closure). If I can't go because of the mask policy then what's the point of having the pass for one trip?

Goofyernmost

You bring up the most important point about mask wearing and what so many people fail to realize...

It's not about being selfish or thinking you're better than everyone... wearing a mask is something that 99% of our population never does. It is going to be uncomfortable. It's going to be hard to breath. It's going to be more of an annoyance than anything else. That is the problem!

What does that lead to? Constant touching of the masks, adjusting them, pulling them down, scratching beneath them (hello guys with beards)... I've witnessed personally just about every single person wearing a mask doing all of those actions... constantly. Then they go and touch everything else. The minute you touch your mask and touch something else, you've just spread whatever viral particles are on your mask. You're act of "safety" and "caring for others" just compounded the risk and safety of others.

And that is talking about an air conditioned, controlled environment where the person is wearing the mask for 15-30 minutes at most.

You throw that into a Disney environment and you'd be an absolute fool to believe face masks are going to help anything. Now throw children into the equation. Even more of a preventable disaster. And we haven't even gotten into the scientific studies that prove healthy people wearing face masks do absolutely nothing to prevent spread of illnesses. Or the fact that most of the masks people are wearing either fit incorrectly and/or don't have enough layers of cloth needed to truly prevent viral particles from spreading.

It's a feel good emotional act. That's all it is. It's to put the uninformed minds at ease thinking not only are they being safe but they are caring about others. In my line of work I've sat through countless meetings (and now webinars) by medical experts that all say the same thing... stop believing what the media is telling you and masks are not a means to keep everyone safe. Staying home if you are sick or not feeling well - something the majority never did - is key, proper hygiene and hand washing is the most important, not touching everything in site, and keeping your hands away from your face - something that is compounded and exponentially increased when you're wearing a face mask.
The only reason for the mask is to prevent liquid particles from leaving your mouth or nose and being airborne toward others. It has nothing to do with preventing you from coming in contact or anyone else for that matter. Touch you mask, who gives a damn. If you have it on the outside of your mask you have it everywhere but, you are not directly touching your mouth or nose. The two main orifices that will be an interstate highway to you internals. If you can't breath that is you mental problem, it is not that for anyone else. If you are infected, and at this point unless you are a politician, a sports celebrity, someone that is physically ill with it or a random tiger, you don't know and the mask prevents you from breathing your liquid infected body fluids toward and infecting someone else. If every one used a mask the rates would be a lot lower. Although not the purpose, it does also help create a barrier to prevent you from inhaling some else's germs. If you don't understand why they are being used, then I can understand why you are arguing against them, but if on the other hand you were to care that you might infect and possibly kill another person because you are to selfish to wear a simple mask, then no words are going to work for you. Good luck to you, but mostly to anyone that has the misfortune to have to be around you.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And I only want a partial refund. I did get to go and enjoy it in January before everything shut down. But I don't think it should just be for when the parks were shut down. It should be for as long as masks are required as well. I will gladly pay for the months I could have and did use it prior to shut down and after the mask requirement is lifted. But we have a trip scheduled for the start of July (that we rebooked after April one was cancelled due to the closure). If I can't go because of the mask policy then what's the point of having the pass for one trip?
The pass is not normally worth it for one trip, unless that trip is a few weeks long. So I say again, no matter Disney decides, there will be people unhappy with the decision. If it looks like they will still be requiring masks in July, then cancel your trip and request the partial refund of your AP. To be honest, I would never have rescheduled your trip so close to the other anyway. They are already cancelling June trips, and while your July trip may not get cancelled, I'm willing to bet that not even all the parks will be open by then, and not all of the attractions even at the parks that are open will be available. We have a September trip planned, and we aren't sure what will even be open by then but we won't be cancelling it because not everything is open. We love our resort stays as well.

Oh, and we are AP holders as well, and not local.

Kingoglow

As someone who physically can not wear a mask for an extended length of time, especially in extreme heat without being in pain or at more risk for dangerous heat related illness due to a chronic condition it is frustrating that they would have that sort of mindset too.

I would not have purchased the pass knowing I physically could not go. I am not one of those people who simply refuse to wear one or would just be a little uncomfortable.

The partial refund seems more than fair. As you say, you are the one that cannot wear a mask. That is on you.

Phonedave

No, I won't go, and I really hope that they will refund me for the months they were closed and the months they require masks for my annual pass. I struggle in the heat to begin with, I couldn't imagine wearing a mask.

Also, you have to remember that all the people in here saying they would wear masks are adults. Can you imagine trying to get a child to wear a mask all day in Florida summer weather, or honestly, all day period? I know there are some kids who have that as their reality already, but I have a feeling they don't take trips to Disney in the height of summer.

Also the mask is pretty useless when you are constantly taking it off and on to drink and stay hydrated. I am constantly drinking water when I am there. My hands would be raw the first day from washing them every time I remove my mask to drink and again to put it back on. I can imagine the numbers of people being dehydrated and having medical issues from that and the heat would increase a lot. It would be a safety hazard in that respect. How many people saying they will wear a mask to get in can say 100% that they won't end up ill from the heat/dehydration? How many of you have been in that situation already and know for sure your body can handle it?

I can also say I would constantly be adjusting the mask or moving it because I would be hot, sweaty, and just uncomfortable.

It's not practical. Yes it is being done in China, but they are used to masks all the time. The majority grow up with it. Their bodies are used to it. They are just popping one on for a week of vacation in a hot, humid climate that they likely aren't used to to begin with. Being from NY our weather is drastically different, even our heat and humidity does not feel the same as the heat and humidity in Florida.

Also I know a lot are saying "oh look it would work because half the people on this board say they would wear one", but this board does not make up the majority of travelers and there are far more "die hards" here than there are in reality. So...I am thinking Disney still will be taking a huge financial hit by requiring it.

I can say I could handle it, but then I am likely an outlier. I don't get dehydrated. Back when I was distance running a lot, if I was running 6 miles or less, I would not drink water - I just didn't need it, even in August in NJ.

However, for those that need to drink more frequently, you can go ahead and touch your mask. you don't need to wash your hands afterward (but you should before, and before eating or drinking so if you are drinking you are washing your hands anyway)

There seems to be a load of confusion around masks, gloves, and washing your hands.

The masks you would wear to WDW and not N95 type masks. They are face covering type masks. They do little to stop you from getting sick. What they do is help greatly in other people not getting sick, if you already are sick. With this virus, people can be contagious for days or weeks before they show symptoms. That's why masks for all are useful, and temperature checks and "Stay home if you feel sick" rules are not so useful. It is also why many people get upset when others refuse to use a mask, because the act of not wearing a mask is detrimental to OTHERS, not yourself.

Touching your mask. Your mask is pretty much full of whatever is coming out of your mouth and nose. It is not doing much to stop anything from getting in, so if it has a virus load in it that is not from you, chances are you already caught it.

Your hands however may have virus on them from contact with a surface. If you touch your face, eye, mask, mouth, etc then you have a chance of transmitting that virus. So you wash your hands BEFORE you touch your face, or eat/drink - regardless of if you are wearing a mask or not. IF you want to be nice to others and perhaps not transfer any of your germs to a surface you may touch, then you wash your hands AFTER you touch your face or eat/drink.

As for gloves, unless you have a break in your skin, the virus is not getting in though your hands. Wearing gloves is no different from bare hands. Once you touch something those gloves are potentially contaminated. The only way they are useful if you cannot wash your hands, and you take off the gloves before touching your face or eating/drinking (and you take them off correctly - there is a correct way to remove gloves to prevent contaminating yourself with whatever is on them). Plus you need to be near a recpticle to dispose of them in (cause your not going to throw them on the ground are you)

Amused to Death

I drink a lot of water in general. It's very important to stay hydrated especially in the summer.

Here you go... :D

straw-mask.jpg

Get yours here:

Phonedave

I feel more at risk wearing a face mask from all the touching/adjusting.

How?

Seriously, not being snarky. IF you are going to eat or drink you need to wash or sanitize your hands before doing so anyway, or else there is no difference between touching your face with dirty hands or touching a mask with dirty hands.

Phonedave

The only reason for the mask is to prevent liquid particles from leaving your mouth or nose and being airborne toward others. It has nothing to do with preventing you from coming in contact or anyone else for that matter. Touch you mask, who gives a damn. If you have it on the outside of your mask you have it everywhere but, you are not directly touching your mouth or nose. The two main orifices that will be an interstate highway to you internals. If you can't breath that is you mental problem, it is not that for anyone else. If you are infected, and at this point unless you are a politician, a sports celebrity, someone that is physically ill with it or a random tiger, you don't know and the mask prevents you from breathing your liquid infected body fluids toward and infecting someone else. If every one used a mask the rates would be a lot lower. Although not the purpose, it does also help create a barrier to prevent you from inhaling some else's germs. If you don't understand why they are being used, then I can understand why you are arguing against them, but if on the other hand you were to care that you might infect and possibly kill another person because you are to selfish to wear a simple mask, then no words are going to work for you. Good luck to you, but mostly to anyone that has the misfortune to have to be around you.

I wish I could like this multiple times.

John park hopper

Will a mask protect you --may cut down on the probability a little but here is an interesting study may be Disney should require goggles as well as a mask (touch of sarcasm)

Dated April
A new report published by JAMA Ophthalmology found preliminary data may suggest severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), might be transmitted through the eye.

Disstevefan1

The poll is just about a 50/50 split! That’s great, it cuts in half the competition to get a reservation to get into the parks when they open In the initial phase! Woo Hoo!

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I have a general mask question...
Has anyone found a mask that has elastic at the nose?
I've said from the get go that to me it seems that would help with eliminating fogged glasses and giving you stretch and I can't seem to find one.
I know there are ones with the bar at the nose but I really want elastic.
YES - both DW & I (we wear glasses), have Masks from "Debief Me". No metal nose band - these use a foam strip, and work well...

Negatives? Not NIOSH listed. PM2.5 filters under fabric. And as with most Mask Folks? No filters in stock :(. We have a new set coming from HERE - with far more common Filters. Again, not perfect....

Herdman

How?

Seriously, not being snarky. IF you are going to eat or drink you need to wash or sanitize your hands before doing so anyway, or else there is no difference between touching your face with dirty hands or touching a mask with dirty hands.
The risk is touching the mask and then touching other commonly touched surfaces. You more than likely aren't going to infect yourself if you wash your hands, but you could leave the virus behind on a railing, door handle, anywhere a lot of people touch before you make it to the restroom to wash your hands.

zengoth

I can say I could handle it, but then I am likely an outlier. I don't get dehydrated. Back when I was distance running a lot, if I was running 6 miles or less, I would not drink water - I just didn't need it, even in August in NJ.

However, for those that need to drink more frequently, you can go ahead and touch your mask. you don't need to wash your hands afterward (but you should before, and before eating or drinking so if you are drinking you are washing your hands anyway)

There seems to be a load of confusion around masks, gloves, and washing your hands.

The masks you would wear to WDW and not N95 type masks. They are face covering type masks. They do little to stop you from getting sick. What they do is help greatly in other people not getting sick, if you already are sick. With this virus, people can be contagious for days or weeks before they show symptoms. That's why masks for all are useful, and temperature checks and "Stay home if you feel sick" rules are not so useful. It is also why many people get upset when others refuse to use a mask, because the act of not wearing a mask is detrimental to OTHERS, not yourself.

Touching your mask. Your mask is pretty much full of whatever is coming out of your mouth and nose. It is not doing much to stop anything from getting in, so if it has a virus load in it that is not from you, chances are you already caught it.

Your hands however may have virus on them from contact with a surface. If you touch your face, eye, mask, mouth, etc then you have a chance of transmitting that virus. So you wash your hands BEFORE you touch your face, or eat/drink - regardless of if you are wearing a mask or not. IF you want to be nice to others and perhaps not transfer any of your germs to a surface you may touch, then you wash your hands AFTER you touch your face or eat/drink.

As for gloves, unless you have a break in your skin, the virus is not getting in though your hands. Wearing gloves is no different from bare hands. Once you touch something those gloves are potentially contaminated. The only way they are useful if you cannot wash your hands, and you take off the gloves before touching your face or eating/drinking (and you take them off correctly - there is a correct way to remove gloves to prevent contaminating yourself with whatever is on them). Plus you need to be near a recpticle to dispose of them in (cause your not going to throw them on the ground are you)
I guess there won't be a huge problem if half the attractions are closed, we'll all be washing our hands every ten minutes, so there won't be much time for anything else. Going through a themepark without touching anything (or your face or your mask) will be quite a challenge. I am all for being mindful, but it does take some concentration when you're trying to enjoy yourself.

Goofyernmost

The risk is touching the mask and then touching other commonly touched surfaces. You more than likely aren't going to infect yourself if you wash your hands, but you could leave the virus behind on a railing, door handle, anywhere a lot of people touch before you make it to the restroom to wash your hands.
With or without the mask you would be doing that. That is probably the weakest excuse for not wearing a mask that there can be. You have an entire body that can and will be contaminated, but just having it there will spread it. Frequent hand washing and use of the face cover will cut down drastically the risk to others which in turn cuts your risk down as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southglengarry

It is a no for me. Just looking back to when we took the grandkids and the difficulty getting them to wear a hat, imagine adding a mask for a full day. Furthermore, assume that your at the park for the day it would likely be multiple masks due to sweat and moisture (bacteria love warm moist places). Then there is disposal of the non reusable masks?

celluloid

Wow, another whole bunch of imagined problems. Children are a lot more perceptive they you give them credit for. If they know what is going on, and believe me they do, they will not fight you. I think that children are much more mature then most adults when it comes to stuff like this. Again, if you don't want to wear one, that is your right! It is not your right to go out in public and spread your germs to others especially when one of the results could be death. It is no more acceptable then opening fire on school children because you have a right to own a gun. Not any part of the constitution says you have a right to hurt others. If you really want to be a patriot, how about acting responsibly and within what really are your rights. Rights come with responsibilities.

Relax. They said no, meaning they were not going to go. They did not say they were going to knowingly spread their germs. Your comparisons are wild.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom