Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Goofyernmost

I'm also in the most vulnerable age group, and I certainly respect your right to hold the opinions that you do. But people are different in respect to how much risk they are willing to tolerate as well as how much freedom they are willing to relinquish compared to how much good is likely to result. As a society, we elect representatives to reconcile those conflicting opinions, and I believe everyone should follow the rules that result whether or not they agree with them.

Our May 2020 trip didn't happen, and October is looking iffy - we won't go if masks are required. But I fervently hope that by our next planned vacation in May 2021 that masks will no longer be required. At that point, if the virus is under control to the point that the government is no longer requiring masks, I hope Disney won't either. I would probably be more willing to wear a mask "even if it only prevents one death" at a doctor's office or grocery store, where people need to be. Disney is a vacation venue - at some point, if people consider the risk too great, it will need to become their personal choice to stay away. That's the other way they can avoid the disease and stay alive, and it probably will work better than masks.
One of your freedoms is not to kill others because you feel it is a pain not too. I said you have a right to do what you want, but, I also have a right to not want you near me. I have rights too. If I decide that one of my rights is life then you doing action that endangers that for me, is not your right. Wearing a mask is a pretty lame thing to pick up on as a right anyway. If you had a visible disease than you do not have a right to go into a closed, populated building and give it to others. Just because you cannot see Covid19 doesn't make it any less dangerous and I am not expendable. I guess you have a right to suicide by illness, but you do not have the right to take me with you and most people with any moral compass would not want too. However, it appears that this particular thing does not come under any heading of requiring some degree of responsibility and concern for others.

Chi84

Premium Member
One of your freedoms is not to kill others because you feel it is a pain not too. I said you have a right to do what you want, but, I also have a right to not want you near me. I have rights too. If I decide that one of my rights is life then you doing action that endangers that for me, is not your right. Wearing a mask is a pretty lame thing to pick up on as a right anyway. If you had a visible disease than you do not have a right to go into a closed, populated building and give it to others. Just because you cannot see Covid19 doesn't make it any less dangerous and I am not expendable. I guess you have a right to suicide by illness, but you do not have the right to take me with you and most people with any moral compass would not want too. However, it appears that this particular thing does not come under any heading of requiring some degree of responsibility and concern for others.
Well alrighty then . . .

disneygeek90

More tests equal more positives. It's the percentage of positives that needs to be watched.
Right, and that's also going up.

Orange County:
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 12.17.26 AM.png

Florida:
Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 12.17.40 AM.png

Goofyernmost

What an awful thing to say....
Check the dictionary under sarcasm. And you are right, it is an awful thing to say or think or imply. Most of the time those exact words are not used. Sometimes they come out as things like "Of course that includes people who contacted it while basically kicking down death’s door." Which is a nice way of saying, hey, they are on the way out anyway so who gives a damn. There are a lot of people that have stood just outside that door for a long time before going through it, and got some enjoyment out of their time left.

Goofyernmost

Nope, you badly misunderstood. I was making a point of logic, which is that to assume that all 45 of those people, nearly all of whom had severe health issues, would be alive today in total absence of the coronavirus infection is extraordinarily unlikely. And that’s why these “death toll” numbers are unreliable.
OK, I do understand, but I have heard that far to often, even in the context that they should die off so the economy can get back in business, like it was their being alive that was stopping that or that once they were gone the threat just disappears. However, that said, their being alive is extraordinarily unlikely doesn't allow which ever ones were to survive are not worth the effort. We are playing games based on the life span of our fellow humans, some even our parents, so that we shouldn't be encumbered by a simple freaking paper mask. It is a me, me, me mentality and not really something we should be striving to make normal.

Goofyernmost

Fair enough, 45 total deaths attributed to coronavirus out of 1.4 million residents is not good enough for everyone....
Florida publishes the numbers daily. The latest country report (confirming the 45 deaths) is here: http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/action/report_archive/county/county_reports_latest.pdf

You missed the point. It may be true, just like here in our county with almost the same population only has 41, but you cannot take one cold spot and decide that it isn't a problem everywhere. We have 41 (1.3 mil. population) deaths in this county the entire state has 1039 deaths and rising. So basically that low number of 41 means absolutely nothing until you add in the rest. I'm sure we could find county's in New York State with single or double digit deaths from it and it looks real good unless you add in the rest of the state including NYC. Then all of a sudden the story is traumatically different. Denial very seldom makes a problem go away. (well, maybe in marriage)

crawale

After spending a couple of hours at Disney Springs this weekend I am going to make a prediction for when the parks open. Either wearing a mask is not going to be enforced or they will have to close the parks again. Regardless of what they put in writing, wearing masks are not being enforced at all at Disney Springs. I saw a group of people walking past 3 uniformed OC deputies and nothing was said. Additionally, at no time did cast members say anything to guests inside WOD when masks were not being worn. Therefore, my prediction is the only way they can have 100% enforcement would be to close the parks, which will not happen. So, masks may be checked at the gate but once inside there will be no enforcement regardless of what Disney says they are going to do.
I live in Pensacola and for phase 2 which we are now in, hairdressers no longer have to wear masks. By the time Disney opens we should be back to normal which does not include masks. However Disney have invested in producing cute masks so profit may have a lot to do with their 'rules'.

crawale

That is so true as I am a Nurse and kids are constantly touching their faces and a lot of them have runny noses. The key with the masks is not only wearing them, but wearing them properly. An adult can be wearing one and I have seen this many times where the person doesn't have their nose covered or it is so loose it is half falling off. That really isn't helping either. The Social Distancing is also a major detail in all of this and that is going to have to be measured very tightly by the CM's and also Security if need be. To me all of this just takes some of the Magic away and for me anyway it is worth the wait to get 100% of the Magic when I decide to back with my family. If others want to go, I am all for them going and having the best possible time they can have.
My daughter has Down Syndrome and very small ears so the masks will not stay on. I think a similar problem will occur with kids - the masks will slip off. Considering the recent riots 'Social Distancing' seems a farce now.

Disstevefan1

You missed the point. It may be true, just like here in our county with almost the same population only has 41, but you cannot take one cold spot and decide that it isn't a problem everywhere. We have 41 (1.3 mil. population) deaths in this county the entire state has 1039 deaths and rising. So basically that low number of 41 means absolutely nothing until you add in the rest. I'm sure we could find county's in New York State with single or double digit deaths from it and it looks real good unless you add in the rest of the state including NYC. Then all of a sudden the story is traumatically different. Denial very seldom makes a problem go away. (well, maybe in marriage)

I hear you. Since this is a Disney forum, I was thinking in terms WDW. This is good news as it relates to WDW. Will the numbers creep up after WDW opens? Probably, but the US is in a much, much better position to handle any raise in cases. combine that with the fact we will be getting a vaccine sooner rather than later, we will be fine.

What I find strange now about 100 days into the pandemic, the WHO is still flip flopping, telling us different things.

robhedin

No, I didn't miss the point, actually. You asked for the source of the data, I gave it to you.

But to this point, if you look at the numbers nationwide (excluding NYC) you'll see things look largely similar state to state relative to population. NYC has it's own issues being so dense that few, if any, other places in the US are going to see.

Hockey89

LOL... This couldn't be more of a joke and over the top if you tried.... WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.... If you are so scared that you are going to die.... STAY HOME

Chi84

Premium Member
My daughter has Down Syndrome and very small ears so the masks will not stay on. I think a similar problem will occur with kids - the masks will slip off. Considering the recent riots 'Social Distancing' seems a farce now.
Even the organizations that recommend masks acknowledge that children will not wear them or will wear them incorrectly - and they were probably thinking of short trips instead of entire days at a theme park. I suspect your chances of getting the virus from an infected child is probably the same whether or not that child has a mask.

I won't go to WDW while masks are required because I'm not going to spend money on that type of experience. But the same is true if I were willing to spend the money and simply afraid of getting sick. I wouldn't go thinking that other people (especially children) wearing masks would truly protect me. I think people would need to factor in how much they fear getting the virus, which is subjective to the individual.

disneygeek90

Even the organizations that recommend masks acknowledge that children will not wear them or will wear them incorrectly - and they were probably thinking of short trips instead of entire days at a theme park. I suspect your chances of getting the virus from an infected child is probably the same whether or not that child has a mask.

I won't go to WDW while masks are required because I'm not going to spend money on that type of experience. But the same is true if I were willing to spend the money and simply afraid of getting sick. I wouldn't go thinking that other people (especially children) wearing masks would truly protect me. I think people would need to factor in how much they fear getting the virus, which is subjective to the individual.
What about CM's? Remember these protocols and restrictions are put in place to help protect the CM's too. The ones that will be interacting with individuals from all over the country every day for the forseeable future. They actually have more to worry about than the average guest who is here for 5 days and then leaves.

As much as people want to think this is strictly about how it effects them as a guest, it's not.

Goofyernmost

I hear you. Since this is a Disney forum, I was thinking in terms WDW. This is good news as it relates to WDW. Will the numbers creep up after WDW opens? Probably, but the US is in a much, much better position to handle any raise in cases. combine that with the fact we will be getting a vaccine sooner rather than later, we will be fine.

What I find strange now about 100 days into the pandemic, the WHO is still flip flopping, telling us different things.
It could be two things. One is political and I am not going to get into that at the moment and Two is that this is a completely different strain from what all these experts are familiar with. Couple that with the pressure that the public is putting on those places to hear good news, it tends to be something like walking a very thin line. Both sides are unknown because you had time to learn much about how this virus has worked and won't until a long time after it is gone and all the data is compiled. So now, they as well as us are trying to guess what is the best thing to do. Sometimes what they say works and it stays that way, other times it immediately trends in the opposite direction and in an effort to keep the damage to a minimum change their stance. Believe me it is better to be that way then stubbornly believe that it is all going to be fine and gamble on the lives of many people. It's tough to be a medical researcher when it has been publicly pushed that science has no basis and can't be trusted.

Goofyernmost

No, I didn't miss the point, actually. You asked for the source of the data, I gave it to you.

But to this point, if you look at the numbers nationwide (excluding NYC) you'll see things look largely similar state to state relative to population. NYC has it's own issues being so dense that few, if any, other places in the US are going to see.
You seem to forget that those people are mobile and do travel from place to place. The category of essential service covers that end of it. The threat never goes away until the virus has run it's course and it doesn't appear to have done that yet. And if people of science say maintain the vigil and the politicians and people with not medical background say, it's a hoax and the threat is over. I will go with the people that have a better chance of knowing what the reality is.

I did accidentally put your post quote in the same post as the one preceding yours, which was what I was mostly answering. I thank you for the link. However, it still has to many conflicting opinions to take any seriously until we actually see a decline in NEW cases. I'm not talking about those that test positive but are not sick as much as using those that have actually gotten sick from it. That number continues to increase and from what I read Covid19 has about a one week incubation period which means that it is quite active right now. It hasn't gone away. I'm glad they are opening and am cautiously optimistic, but not convinced that it is not going to revive things. I hope not, but, I can admit that I am not with the ability to be absolutely sure, so I will continue to take precautions until it no longer is a factor. I'm not going crazy with my reaction, but, something as simple as a thin face mask seems like a small thing to be wrong about compared to the possibilities of not having one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom