Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chi84

Premium Member
All of this hemming and hawing is really just that: Masks will be worn and policy will be followed.

It's really quite simple. Until things normalize at Disney, everyone sacrifices for the greater good.
It's not that simple when the experts can't agree on whether or not face masks do any good at all, let alone the "greater good." The WHO just came out and said that asymptomatic spread, which many use to justify masks, is very rare. Their position seems to be that masks may do some good even though there is no direct evidence of this, so why not wear them.

I have a feeling that things will "normalize" at Disney as soon as they are able to handle larger crowds. Right now the restrictions keep the crowds low, which is what governments and health officials are recommending.

JohnD

I have a feeling that things will "normalize" at Disney as soon as they are able to handle larger crowds. Right now the restrictions keep the crowds low, which is what governments and health officials are recommending.

Restrictions, including wearing masks, guarantee lower crowds? Count me in.

Chi84

Premium Member
Restrictions, including wearing masks, guarantee lower crowds? Count me in.
People really are different. That’s the beauty of Disney - something for everyone. But yes, restrictions such as reduced hours, no parades, fireworks or character dining and having to wear masks will eventually result in lower crowds.

Herdman

It's not that simple when the experts can't agree on whether or not face masks do any good at all, let alone the "greater good." The WHO just came out and said that asymptomatic spread, which many use to justify masks, is very rare. Their position seems to be that masks may do some good even though there is no direct evidence of this, so why not wear them.

They mentioned presymptomatic people also. If that eveidence continues it could totally change the restrictions on masks, and not just in the theme parks.

Goofyernmost

I, like so many others, have doubts about the effectiveness of the mask. I already have common sensed the idea of the fallacy of the gloves and being in the open air without a mask, but if a person with a medical background and degree informs me that it might save someones life and in turn my own, then I go searching for my medical degree. In the middle of my search I remember that I don't have one and the vast number, if not all, of those that are "certain" that they are a waste of time do not have one either. The idea that people second guess people that have at least a chance of knowing and follow the others because it fits better with their own desires are really playing a medical game of Russian Roulette. Personally I will be 72 next month, I have COPD that I currently do maintenance medicating for it. If I decide that just to be safe I will use a freaking mask until the all clear is sounded by someone that knows, well that is the way it is. If others want to risk their own lives over something that minor... more power to them.

That said, I don't enjoy wearing one anymore than anyone does, however, if it allows me more time to watch my children's, children have children then it seems a small price to pay. Because of that the answer to the question of will I go with the restrictions is no. I will not because it would hinder my enjoyment a lot. Others can accept whatever decisions they want.

Chi84

Premium Member
I, like so many others, have doubts about the effectiveness of the mask. I already have common sensed the idea of the fallacy of the gloves and being in the open air without a mask, but if a person with a medical background and degree informs me that it might save someones life and in turn my own, then I go searching for my medical degree. In the middle of my search I remember that I don't have one and the vast number, if not all, of those that are "certain" that they are a waste of time do not have one either. The idea that people second guess people that have at least a chance of knowing and follow the others because it fits better with their own desires are really playing a medical game of Russian Roulette. Personally I will be 72 next month, I have COPD that I currently do maintenance medicating for it. If I decide that just to be safe I will use a freaking mask until the all clear is sounded by someone that knows, well that is the way it is. If others want to risk their own lives over something that minor... more power to them.

That said, I don't enjoy wearing one anymore than anyone does, however, if it allows me more time to watch my children's, children have children then it seems a small price to pay. Because of that the answer to the question of will I go with the restrictions is no. I will not because it would hinder my enjoyment a lot. Others can accept whatever decisions they want.
People with medical degrees are the ones who are disputing the effectiveness of masks. Even the WHO acknowledges that there is no direct evidence and very little observational evidence that masks are effective in preventing sick people from spreading the virus to others. Its position is that they may help, they can't hurt and that there is little reason not to wear them. Also, the experts who recommend wearing masks are telling people to follow a certain protocol of washing their hands before putting on or taking off a mask and not otherwise touching it. This is not being done, which makes their use even less effective. If you are using a mask to keep yourself safe, make sure it is medical grade or it certainly won't help.

Last edited:

cmoliver68

You agreed to terms of service before being allowed to post.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content posted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.
You are correct. However, I also see quite a few messages that do not answer the question and their editorial comments remain posted. I am not going to argue this point. You clearly pick and choose what is allowed to stay. We will see what the lawyers say.

The Mom

Premium Member
You are correct. However, I also see quite a few messages that do not answer the question and their editorial comments remain posted. I am not going to argue this point. You clearly pick and choose what is allowed to stay. We will see what the lawyers say.
:)

Wendy Pleakley

A private website is allowed to restrict what content is, and isn't, allowed to be posted by users.

But by all means go spend money on a lawyer to have this confirmed for you.

cmoliver68

A private website is allowed to restrict what content is, and isn't, allowed to be posted by users.

But by all means go spend money on a lawyer to have this confirmed for you.
Well, you are incorrect. This is media and is protected by freedom of speech. I don't have to spend money. Oh, and I have also referred it to an ADA compliance attorney also. There is one that is really on the attack in the Orlando area right now.

cmoliver68

I see my original post was added back to the thread. Thank you for doing this and allowing my opinion/prediction to be posted just like so many others that don't even come close to staying on topic in this thread.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, you are incorrect. This is media and is protected by freedom of speech. I don't have to spend money. Oh, and I have also referred it to an ADA compliance attorney also. There is one that is really on the attack in the Orlando area right now.
Very generally, the first amendment prevents the government from infringing on your right to free speech. So if the government is trying to regulate the media, there could be a violation of the first amendment. This site is not the government, nor is it acting on behalf of the government, so your first amendment rights are not implicated. You have absolutely no right to post anything here - this is a private entity that can make its own rules with certain limitations that don’t apply here.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

People with medical degrees are the ones who are disputing the effectiveness of masks. Even the WHO acknowledges that there is no direct evidence and very little observational evidence that masks are effective in preventing sick people from spreading the virus to others. Its position is that they may help, they can't hurt and that there is little reason not to wear them. Also, the experts who recommend wearing masks are telling people to follow a certain protocol of washing their hands before putting on or taking off a mask and not otherwise touching it. This is not being done, which makes their use even less effective. If you are using a mask to keep yourself safe, make sure it is medical grade or it certainly won't help.
Sometimes you just go with common sense. Something that is obviously very rare in our society. To bad they couldn't teach that in school. As I said, you go to your church I'll go to mine. I will protect myself and others even if there is a doubt. Until it is unanimous, I will take that small action in an effort to help the situation. They haven't proved that it helps nor have they proved that they don't help. You have to live (or not) with your own decisions. It is indeed your choice, as mine is my choice. Unless we are married, I see no reason that you should have any need to get close enough to me to do me harm so expose yourself to any danger that you want, just don't include me.

lazyboy97o

Very generally, the first amendment prevents the government from infringing on your right to free speech. So if the government is trying to regulate the media, there could be a violation of the first amendment. This site is not the government, nor is it acting on behalf of the government, so your first amendment rights are not implicated. You have absolutely no right to post anything here - this is a private entity that can make its own rules with certain limitations that don’t apply here.
Not only is this not the government, it’s not based in the United States.

Disstevefan1

After spending a couple of hours at Disney Springs this weekend I am going to make a prediction for when the parks open. Either wearing a mask is not going to be enforced or they will have to close the parks again. Regardless of what they put in writing, wearing masks are not being enforced at all at Disney Springs. I saw a group of people walking past 3 uniformed OC deputies and nothing was said. Additionally, at no time did cast members say anything to guests inside WOD when masks were not being worn. Therefore, my prediction is the only way they can have 100% enforcement would be to close the parks, which will not happen. So, masks may be checked at the gate but once inside there will be no enforcement regardless of what Disney says they are going to do.

I agree. That said, its great to see the parks open up again. Lets hope it does not take too long for the parks to get back to their pre COVID operational procedures.

Chi84

Premium Member
Sometimes you just go with common sense. Something that is obviously very rare in our society. To bad they couldn't teach that in school. As I said, you go to your church I'll go to mine. I will protect myself and others even if there is a doubt. Until it is unanimous, I will take that small action in an effort to help the situation. They haven't proved that it helps nor have they proved that they don't help. You have to live (or not) with your own decisions. It is indeed your choice, as mine is my choice. Unless we are married, I see no reason that you should have any need to get close enough to me to do me harm so expose yourself to any danger that you want, just don't include me.
I have no problem with choice where masks are concerned. No one should be prohibited from wearing one, and as others have mentioned, there would probably be less spreading of colds and flu in general if people wore them when they are sick. If it's true, as you say, that they "haven't proved that it helps nor have they proved that they don't help," then I don't see the common sense in mandating that people wear them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom