Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

alissafalco

Did anyone see this?
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...y-night-at-the-twilight-zone-tower-of-terror/

Do I prefer it at day or night? I prefer it when it's NOT themed to GOTG!
I'm guessing my comment doesn't make it.
image.jpg

MUTZIE77

RSoxNo1

I encourage everyone to hit that blog post with guardians feedback.

FWIW, Jim Hill gave credibility to this report but cautioned that the plan was for DCA and DHS to have this as a temporary overlay. He also seems to be of the impression that Guardians characters can only be used in Florida until Infinity War comes out.

Biff215

Not sure it will make it since there aren't any other comments there lol
Maybe it will, since this one did:

I prefer it any time of day that it’s not poorly overlaid with a comic book series unrelated to the one of the best examples of a bygone era of truly inspired Walt Disney Imagineering.

Brian McSorley on March 31, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Well done!

Bairstow

Does anyone else sometimes think that maybe Marvel in general isn't the best property for a theme park?
I've probably posted this before, but the predominate theme of most Marvel comics for the majority of their run is the interjection of extraordinary people into modern, if unremarkable settings, usually New York. This might make for a good film, and obviously makes for popular comic books, but I'm not sure it's ever going to translate especially well to a theme park area, where place, rather than story or character, must naturally be king.
Just thinking for a bit, ARE there many locations in the Marvel universe that would make for good theme park areas? Other than a new specific buildings, like the X-men mansion, I really can't think of many. This is probably why the Marvel area at Universal is such a disgusting, frightful mess, even if the attractions are excellent.

Something like Guardians of the Galaxy is actually more attractive, if only because it lets the Imagineers do Tomorrowland again.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm guessing my comment doesn't make it.
View attachment 136274
Not showing yet, but this one made it:

I prefer it any time of day that it’s not poorly overlaid with a comic book series unrelated to the one of the best examples of a bygone era of truly inspired Walt Disney Imagineering.

Brian McSorley on March 31, 2016 at 10:25 p

Anyone here post it?

Mike S

Does anyone else sometimes think that maybe Marvel in general isn't the best property for a theme park?
I've probably posted this before, but the predominate theme of most Marvel comics for the majority of their run is the interjection of extraordinary people into modern, if unremarkable settings, usually New York. This might make for a good film, and obviously makes for popular comic books, but I'm not sure it's ever going to translate especially well to a theme park area, where place, rather than story or character, must naturally be king.
Just thinking for a bit, ARE there many locations in the Marvel universe that would make for good theme park areas? Other than a new specific buildings, like the X-men mansion, I really can't think of many. This is probably why the Marvel area at Universal is such a disgusting, frightful mess, even if the attractions are excellent.

Something like Guardians of the Galaxy is actually more attractive, if only because it lets the Imagineers do Tomorrowland again.
Asgard.

And I actually like the look of MSHI. It's like stepping into a comic book.

No Name

With apologies for historical nitpicking... Disneyland's canoes were the "Indian War Canoes" from their opening in 1956 until 1971, when they were renamed "Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes" -- long after the Davy Crockett craze had passed. The only Frontierland attraction that had any connection with Davy Crockett was the Mike Fink Keelboats.

There's no comparison between the style and amount of synergy Walt used and the relentless, in-your-face brand promotion of Eisner and Iger. Disneyland's original Frontierland is only one example. The Davy Crockett franchise was a monster hit in the mid-50s, a nationwide phenomenon, and yet the land was called "Frontierland." Today's Disney management would have made it "Davy Crockett Land." Check the lists of the original Frontierland's attractions, shops and restaurants -- Davy Crockett tie-ins were barely present. If today's Disney management had been in charge, there would have been no Mark Twain, no sailing ship Columbia, no Tom Sawyer Island, no Mule Pack, no Conestoga Wagons, no Mine Train, no Mexican restaurant, no quaint shops selling old Western Americana merchandise, no Golden Horseshoe Review -- nothing that didn't directly promote the Davy Crockett franchise.

Agreed. And therein lies the difference. In the first 30 years of Disneyland's existence, non-branded attractions 'way outnumbered the branded attractions. That all changed after Eisner arrived. Today's Disney Parks are run by the team Eisner built and their appointees, all of whom follow Michael's philosophy that Disney theme parks are "all about turning movies into rides." They long ago crossed the line from Walt's showmanship-style synergy to the blatant brand promotion of consumer product marketeers.

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten? Well, I wasn't alive to visit then, but the whole mini Indian land looked very cool. Anyway, yeah, my mistake there. Sorry.

I agree that Walt was not nearly as in-your-face synergistic (is that a word?) as Iger. Less with Eisner, at least things like Everest and non-IP epcot attractions got built under him. Also, Splash Mountain, Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, Star Tours, and, of course, Tower of Terror, were built, and they were and are not really intended to promote the show/movie that they're based around. Anyway, I was moreso saying that it's dumb to argue that Walt was synergy-free. He held a good balance of original vs. synergy.

Mystic Manor, Big Grizzly Mountain Run, Roaring Rapids, the new Soarin, Rivers of Light... these are pretty much all of the big things over the last 10 years (and future) that have been built under Iger that don't really have synergy, at least not with any movie. But most of these are reality only because Disney's parteners overseas pushed for them. I'm not at all trying to defend Iger or Disney here, they deserve very little credit for that small list.

Oh, and arguably the longest-running, biggest, and most successful example of synergy in human history is Mickey and his pals being the "main characters" of Disneyland, and now all of the parks. I'd say that that one has worked out pretty well. For both Mickey and the parks.

GiveMeTheMusic

I encourage everyone to hit that blog post with guardians feedback.

FWIW, Jim Hill gave credibility to this report but cautioned that the plan was for DCA and DHS to have this as a temporary overlay. He also seems to be of the impression that Guardians characters can only be used in Florida until Infinity War comes out.

He's incorrect re: Infinity War. DCA's plan is definitely permanent, can't speak for DHS (if it's still planned).

FigmentJedi

Mystic Manor, Big Grizzly Mountain Run, Roaring Rapids, the new Soarin, Rivers of Light... these are pretty much all of the big things over the last 10 years (and future) that have been built under Iger that don't really have synergy, at least not with any movie. But most of these are reality only because Disney's parteners overseas pushed for them. I'm not at all trying to defend Iger or Disney here, they deserve very little credit for that small list.
While an original story, Rivers of Light is somewhat of an extension of the DisneyNature documentary brand. Like in the press material they've been heavily emphasizing the use of material shot for existing DisneyNature films as well as new material shot by those various documentary filming teams under that umbrella.

alissafalco

Maybe it will, since this one did:

Brian McSorley on March 31, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Well done!

Not showing yet, but this one made it:

Brian McSorley on March 31, 2016 at 10:25 p

Anyone here post it?

Nope, my comment is gone..oh well.

Wikkler

An official announcement has been released today by Disney regarding the Tower of Terror© retheme. Iger was quoted as saying, "It's not
possible that ToT would be rethemed. That would be rediculous, and a sign that we are a company that doesn't care about quality.
Remember Rivers of Light©? That's something you're excited about. We are devoted to quality Disney Parks© experiences."
It's disturbing that Iger pronounces the copyright symbols in his speeches, but what can we do. Of course he refuses, it's a sign of his
laziness. Why can't he put the money into DHS?

For God's sake, DHS needs all it can get. This retheme is exactly what DHS needs to be refreshed. Disney needs to compete with several
outside parks which shall not be named, such as the current juggernaut theme park company in Orlando, SeaWorld. If Disney builds it,
Orlando could experience a massive influx of tourism. It's beneficial for both Disney, SeaWorld, and the obscure set of parks, Universal and
LEGOLAND. It also replaces that silly old Twilight Zone IP which hasn't been a cash cow since before the ride even opened. It's a
sign of future park improvements to come. I also heard that Disney puts secret messages in all their press releases, but I can't figure it out.

EDIT: messed up the second "L"

Last edited:

matt9112

Sorry, I don't buy it. Disney legal must think GOTG can pass muster for some time or there wouldn't be any consideration for use in Orlando.

Also Hyperspace Mountain didn't go to WDW because their Space doesn't have onboard audio or the projection infrastructure DL's has. They literally CAN'T do Hyperspace Mountain there. As if Chapek cares about Star Wars theming in multiple parks?

I was going to say this. Some don't know but WDW space mountain is far behind DL in terms of effects and overall technology. Wasn't there a refurb for it planned and than canceled?

matt9112

It's not onboard, but doesn't WDW's Space have that stupid "Speakers lined up along the track" setup for their dumb "Let's score Space Mountain like its Rainbow Road in Mario Kart" thing? That could probably be adapted for a half-baked version of the audio portions of HSM
Didn't @marni1971 say the volume is turned so low there's basically no audio?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom