Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Bacon

Never thought I live to see the day. Well this shall be fun.
Um baymax? hes marvel.
Character-Meet-and-Greets-at-Epcot_Full_26818.jpg

Matt_Black

Yes but that is obviously not the same thing. For one thing Big Hero 6 is under the Disney animation banner. Taking a big Marvel movie like Guardians of the Galaxy is a whole other ballgame....one I do not want tickets to.

Yeah, they made numerous changes so that Big Hero 6 is more or less entirely divorced from the Marvel Universe.

lazyboy97o

I'm not saying Walt and WED weren't passionate about what they were doing. I think WDI is too. But there has always been that other side of business and key players who make sure it works as a business. What I'm saying is the synergy Walt established was not by accident it was so far ahead of its time that it set the course, he wrote the book. TWDC is still using the same book but in a much bigger media landscape.

That being said, Marvel or any other IP can be used rightly or wrongly. In this case with ToT it's very wrong. But I can't object to new offerings being IP based if done well.
It wasn't synergy at all. Many of the included films were box office duds, which is nowhere near the same as only making park decisions based on box office performance and merchandise sales. Similar subjects like winter sports aren't synergy either and the progression of Walt's years was less and less inclusion of prior Studio work.

zooey

It wasn't synergy at all. Many of the included films were box office duds, which is nowhere near the same as only making park decisions based on box office performance and merchandise sales. Similar subjects like winter sports aren't synergy either and the progression of Walt's years was less and less inclusion of prior Studio work.
Sort of. Did they know they were going to be duds when they made them? Or did they still try to promote the duds? 20k leagues wasn't a dud and it had a walk through of the actual movie sets in tomorrowland almost from the start. Synergy. Crowd pleasing. My overall point was that 55-66 was very different time in a very different world but the analogue to our time is there. They weren't doing something that much different than we are now. Perhaps more pure but innocently and naively so you might say. They didn't live in a society so readily regurgitating itself over and over. But there's no going back on that. That's what people want. No Disneyland for old men.

lazyboy97o

Sort of. Did they know they were going to be duds when they made them? Or did they still try to promote the duds? 20k leagues wasn't a dud and it had a walk through of the actual movie sets in tomorrowland almost from the start. Synergy. Crowd pleasing. My overall point was that 55-66 was very different time in a very different world but the analogue to our time is there. They weren't doing something that much different than we are now. Perhaps more pure but innocently and naively so you might say. They didn't live in a society so readily regurgitating itself over and over. But there's no going back on that. That's what people want. No Disneyland for old men.
"People only want ___" is nothing but an excuse for creative nothingness, not some absolute handed down by the gods. Good storytelling is good storytelling.

zooey

"People only want ___" is nothing but an excuse for creative nothingness, not some absolute handed down by the gods. Good storytelling is good storytelling.
I work in a business where we AB test. We do that so we can see what makes us more money. A or B? I just don't blame Disney for the IP situation on NEW attractions. An IP based something will undoubtedly make them more money. That doesn't excuse cheap IP overlays of existing attractions. That is actual laziness. But to deny that this culture will accept a new theme park introduced ride IP and make it into a new phenomenon that makes millions in merch and tv and movies and comics and video games... is... less than right. That is a bygone era. The best you could do is make a ride like Mystic Manor which has a cute character that inspires all the merch and then hope for its entire lifespan they don't figure out a way to put a movie into it or derive a movie out of it.
I think most would say that the greatest rides are all originals and don't rely on synergy. Pirates mansion Matterhorn big thunder. True. But I'm saying that era is gone. That society is gone. That consumer is gone. Those rides are beloved from their history and lots of nostalgia and they are still great attractions, but to do that in this climate would be very difficult when you're talking about an A B test. Mystic Manor for as great as it is cannot be as profitable as say, radiator springs racers selling all those cars toys and shirts and hats and mugs and bumper stickers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom