Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

britain

Unfortunately I don't think it has to do with the COST of paying CBS a licensing fee, IMHO. It has more to do with "Why is that imposing edifice - which is popular, and is iconic - effectively promoting someone else's IP?"

It could be free, and I think they'd still want to change it.

They should just buy Twilight Zone from CBS.

Last edited:

hokielutz

So to chime in again.
There are many drop rides, the drop is nothing extraordinary (the mechanics are, but that's something for us hardcore geeks), but the overall theme, the line, every detail in it, from the beautiful lobby (the details! like the Mah Jong board) to the gardens and the cracked fountain, and once you get on, the special FX in the hallway and the 5th dimension, that starfield before the doors open is also amazing.
Guardians is a great IP, but you can't just re-theme a 30's hotel into a space ride, it's not changing lights (as in space mountain), or an overlay into a ride (Nightmare does blend into Haunted Mansion), it's a totally different thing.
If anything, I see Guardians taking over some empty space in tomorrowland, being an overlay into Space Mountain, heck, overlaying it into Aerosmith would be cheaper and make a ton more sense, the building itself is a damn cube with little frontage.
Imagine the Aerosmith ride with a Guardians overlay, build up a nice interactive line and launch people into a wild chase, make it "Escape from Knowhere" or "The Thanos Heist" or even "The Battle of Nova Prime", add fancy effects to a ride that's pretty much blacklit wood at this point.
ToT is the cap to a beautiful street, and has become the unofficial symbol of the park, as it is the only towering (pun intended) structure now that the Earful Tower is gone.
DHS will become Star Wars land, but leave the streets and the Tower as they are, after all it's probably the last attraction done with such care and and a broad appeal. New Fantasyland was made as Princess cash grab for mostly girls, Toys Land is for kids, teens and adult need something that speaks to them, and that's where Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Mission:Space, Spaceship Earth, Test Track and Carousel of Progress come in. We already lost Horizons, The River of Time, Universe of Energy, Maelstrom and Alien Encounter.
Walt Disney was a genius in that he mixed some peril, adventure and yes, danger, along with the sense of hope and the overall reassurance that the parks give you. Every good story has some of this, it can't all be rainbows and puppies. After all, hope and happy endings come after a struggle and some risk.

yes, yes, yes, but no. You said it far more eloquently than I did about ToT.

I would say redoing this would be akin to gutting the original Imagination ride... but far worse.
I may get flamed for this.... but Horizons either needed to be seriously re-imagined or replaced. It had started on that downward spiral... but this is not the place to beat that dead horse further. ToT, as you stated above... is an anchor E-ticket attraction, and the same can't be said of H.

Bairstow

The amusing thing about a rumor that causes rapid and widespread outrage like this one is that when it is proven to be false by official denial, everyone can walk away patting themselves on the back thinking, "WE are the ones who prevented this."

PorterRedkey

Interesting. What did they have to say about that?
It was something like "blah, blah, blah".

Not really, but I got about the same out of what they said, It was the standard line that WDW is always is evaluating the experiences at their parks to make sure they are they meet the "high-quality standards that people expect from Disney". She also said my concerns would be review by the "executive team", as they are always trying improve the parks.

Like I said "Blah, blah, blah".

lebeau

Yes, and actually removing a scene from Great Movie Ride and replacing it with a Guardians of the Galaxy scene could be another approach to getting it into the studios.

But isn't the goal to get it into DCA? The fact that it is being considered for the Studios is a side effect in order to split costs. No one is looking at this based on what makes sense for the Studios. If they were, there are dozens of better options. The California cart is driving the Florida horse.

hokielutz

Unfortunately I don't think it has to do with the COST of paying CBS a licensing fee, IMHO. It has more to do with "Why does that imposing edifice which is popular, and is iconic, effectively promoting someone else's IP?"

It could be free, and I think they'd still want to change it.

They should just buy Twilight Zone from CBS.

Then come up with a generic story for the Tower and expunge the TZ from the ride. The system and look will still be the same, but will be a Haunted Mansion Tower o Terror now.

Or as you said... buy the IP.

WildcatDen

[QUOTE="Phil12, post: 7142453, member: 94093] Disney has more than enough visitors to their parks. They need to push their own IP with their captive audience. It just makes sense. There is going to be more profit for Disney selling a Groot plush rather than selling a Rod Serling ashtray from the ToT gift shop.[/QUOTE]
There is some logic in what you say and I get it. It does not, however sway the many people who do not want change for the sake of change. For what it is worth, my daughter bought a Pluto plush from the Hollywood Tower gift shop complete with his own bathrobe.

Chris82

I swear if this works they will simply move the concept to RnRC and honestly I would be just fine with that

I would generally agree, except I gotta say, for all the "meh" Rock'n'Rollercoaster receives for it's relative lack of theming, that dark, decrepit parking garage with the exciting countdown is possibly the best themed, most effective boarding and launch sequence for a roller coaster I've ever experienced.

FigmentForver96

[QUOTE="Phil12, post: 7142453, member: 94093] Disney has more than enough visitors to their parks. They need to push their own IP with their captive audience. It just makes sense. There is going to be more profit for Disney selling a Groot plush rather than selling a Rod Serling ashtray from the ToT gift shop.
There is some logic in what you say and I get it. It does not, however sway the many people who do not want change for the sake of change. For what it is worth, my daughter bought a Pluto plush from the Hollywood Tower gift shop complete with his own bathrobe.[/QUOTE]
Rides experiences shouldn't be determined simply by what they can sell. If that's the case then rides like Big Thunder, It's A Small World, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Great Movie Ride, Kiliminjaro Safari need to be removed now.

Cesar R M

If the contract is up and CBS is playing hardball then maybe it is the hated business will be business argument. Maybe they are just not willing to pay a higher royalty and they are looking for other options that will get them out of it.

I would just drop the twilight zone from the set and make it your own with the same story.... but hey what does this peon know.
Considering Disney, id say they are wanting to pay less, not CBS wanting to get paid more.

I received the same call about 15 mins before you. Same information.
makes you wonder.. did they record the "no, this is a rumor" callback? XD

Atomicmickey

I still want something to happen, someone to step in and say ''Guys, we are not doing this because while we can make it seem to make sense, it isn't a good way to treat a classic attraction that is as loved today as when it opened and it is a cheap and creatively lazy way to add what is some fun Marvel IP to our parks. Find another way."

THAT is what I want to report as NEWS. But now it wouldn't be even rumour. It would be a total lie.

I am going to guess that your sources are not in a position to say something like that. Please let us know if you hear that anyone at all on the inside is going to go to bat for this, that would at least be somewhat heartening to know. There have to be some voices of sanity within. Perhaps the atmosphere is so toxic that they wouldn't speak up out of fear, who knows.

Cesar R M

Yes, and actually removing a scene from Great Movie Ride and replacing it with a Guardians of the Galaxy scene could be another approach to getting it into the studios.
they could ADD one scene. After all, they do not have comedy/scifi/fantasy mixup. only scifi (aliens)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom