Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

jumblue

Don't know if this had been pointed out (still about 40+ pages to get through and I gotta get to work), with regard to cost-sharing... Aren't these the same people that tried to force the same script on Jungle Cruise for both DL and MK, despite significant differences between the two versions?

Who wants to bet they think ToT are carbon-copies of each other on both coasts as well?

RSoxNo1

Perhaps. Although if Universal objected, per the contract, they would just go into arbitration behind closed doors. Based on Universal's lack of response to the GotG meet and greet or perhaps an arbitration decision that resulted from it, Disney seems pretty certain they can move forward.

Time will tell.
Guardians of the Galaxy is already represented in The Great Movie Ride.

hopemax

Seems to me that a better home for this is Epcot's Future World. The Wonders of Life Pavilion sits empty most days. Why not use it? (Can anyone say "Guardians of the Galaxy Pavilion"?) After all, once Pandora and the DHS redo are complete, Epcot is the theme park that will need the most TLC.

Instead, someone with no background in theme parks has decided to jam this into what is arguably WDW's single best attraction. :arghh:

Come now, you know the "closing down one FW" pavilion has been the "buiziness plan" since Judson Green's days. WoL would NEVER be the recipient of such a redo. There is only one place an Epcot GotG attraction could go. Such a very special, IP, that deserves premiere treatment. It mostly takes place on a SPACESHIP and Peter was originally from EARTH.

psherman42

So, what happened to the stores about Disney developing a new Tower of Terror movie? Were those not true or just scraped? How can they plan a new movie and then get rid of the attraction?

hokielutz

I just received a phone call based on the e-mail I sent to George Kalogridis. They acknowledged that they have seen the rumor but they denied it 100%. I'm not surprised and I'm guessing that's what this person's job is to do.

please post e-mail address... or at the very least PM it to me.

Alejandro

So to chime in again.
There are many drop rides, the drop is nothing extraordinary (the mechanics are, but that's something for us hardcore geeks), but the overall theme, the line, every detail in it, from the beautiful lobby (the details! like the Mah Jong board) to the gardens and the cracked fountain, and once you get on, the special FX in the hallway and the 5th dimension, that starfield before the doors open is also amazing.
Guardians is a great IP, but you can't just re-theme a 30's hotel into a space ride, it's not changing lights (as in space mountain), or an overlay into a ride (Nightmare does blend into Haunted Mansion), it's a totally different thing.
If anything, I see Guardians taking over some empty space in tomorrowland, being an overlay into Space Mountain, heck, overlaying it into Aerosmith would be cheaper and make a ton more sense, the building itself is a damn cube with little frontage.
Imagine the Aerosmith ride with a Guardians overlay, build up a nice interactive line and launch people into a wild chase, make it "Escape from Knowhere" or "The Thanos Heist" or even "The Battle of Nova Prime", add fancy effects to a ride that's pretty much blacklit wood at this point.
ToT is the cap to a beautiful street, and has become the unofficial symbol of the park, as it is the only towering (pun intended) structure now that the Earful Tower is gone.
DHS will become Star Wars land, but leave the streets and the Tower as they are, after all it's probably the last attraction done with such care and and a broad appeal. New Fantasyland was made as Princess cash grab for mostly girls, Toys Land is for kids, teens and adult need something that speaks to them, and that's where Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Mission:Space, Spaceship Earth, Test Track and Carousel of Progress come in. We already lost Horizons, The River of Time, Universe of Energy, Maelstrom and Alien Encounter.
Walt Disney was a genius in that he mixed some peril, adventure and yes, danger, along with the sense of hope and the overall reassurance that the parks give you. Every good story has some of this, it can't all be rainbows and puppies. After all, hope and happy endings come after a struggle and some risk.

psherman42

Easy. The same way they closed DL's Country Bear Jamboree nine months before The Country Bears movie.
Ugh.

While I wasn't happy about Maelstrom becoming Frozen, I accepted it. But this would devastate me. ToT is one of the best themed attractions at WDW and to ruin it like this is such a horrible idea. DCA's isn't nearly as good so if they rethemed it over there, fine. But leave Florida's alone. Especially when there's already so little to do there. I would love to hear WDI's justification for doing this in the midst of a massive transition for the park.

hokielutz

Unfortunately I don't have time like I once used to peruse the forums all day or constantly on the weekend. Sadly my vacation funds have to be replenished from actual work.

So when one comes across news/rumors like this... it is quite a devastating pill to take... but because it is not from a news outlet or posted as a feature story.... you take it as rumor until confirmed from other sources. I've only been able to browse 12 pages on the front and back end.

I hold out hope that if this was indeed leaked from within Disney and not a far fetched rumor, it is part of a negotiating tactic with the TZ IP owners to reduce the contract renewal cost during negotiations.

I don't see the business justification of retheming ( which will not be a minor task) this type of attraction, especially given its history and popularity that hasn't waned. Aerosmith RnRC... I could see a retheming (never would I want it to) but the band will not be around forever. It is just an indoor coaster without all of the intricate inside and outside detailing that went into the design of ToT.

IF 74's info has a better an avg probability of happening.... you may actually see fans turn away from that park.
I don't see how the company can justify that kind of change to the public.

PorterRedkey

I just received a phone call based on the e-mail I sent to George Kalogridis. They acknowledged that they have seen the rumor but they denied it 100%. I'm not surprised and I'm guessing that's what this person's job is to do.
I just got off the phone with Disney as well. After my e-mail to George or Chappie, (I think it was from the George e-mail), they wanted to call me to assure the rumor is 100% NOT TRUE. I then asked about the other concerns I expressed in the e-mail and we had a brief discussion about the budget cuts and the lower-quality product that WDW has been putting out recently.
I was a little surprised. I will now be writing more often!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom