Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

FrankLapidus

I can only assume certain posters have never actually experienced Tower of Terror going by their posts.

A weak theme? Anyone who talks such absolute nonsense has either never been on the attraction itself or is purposely trying to provoke an argument.

The "Golden Era" theme never worked? Again, utter nonsense. But proof that some will lap up even the most idiotic notions that Iger and crew come up with.

CDavid

Can Disney even use the name "Marvel" anywhere in their parks in WDW.

No. Disney is free to use any Marvel characters not used or used in only an incidental manner by Universal, but the Marvel name cannot be attached to the attraction.

Whatever happened to the simulators from Body Wars? They could probably slap in a Guardians film and be done.

In Hong Kong for the Iron Man attraction. They had long been described in the forums as too far gone to ever be used again, but apparently that only applied to Walt Disney World.

Slowjack

My wife, despite us having met while working at the local Disney StoreTM , is not anywhere close to being the WDW fan that I am. It's pretty clear that she thinks it's odd I spend time here reading about a theme park, and I've seen how her eyes roll when I've told her stories about how uptight people get with changes at the park (for you old timers here--remember the epic angst over the balloons?). But when I told her about this proposed change, she said, in all seriousness, that she wouldn't want to go back to WDW if they did this. The ToT is her favorite ride anywhere, and like others here, she doesn't even like the Twilight Zone.

But why are we even surprised by these things anymore? WDW's Pirates had among the best of all queues, and then they installed basic corral switchbacks to accommodate Fastpass on a ride that never needed it before. They replaced the iconic tropical waterfall garden in the Polynesian lobby with...well, nothing, basically, and eliminated the beach view from much of the property. The removed the illusion of a cross-street to Main Street and its attendant turn-of-the-century experiences so they could weld together a giant space for retailing t-shirts. I could list more but I'm sure you already know what they are.

Lest I get accused of being a "it's all bad!" doom-and-gloomer, there's plenty Disney has done well recently. I like the Fantasyland expansion and everything I've seen at Disney Springs so far (I wish every parking deck worked that way!). Looking forward to Avatar, even if I'll never see the movie. Heck, I enjoyed the mac & cheese at the Skipper Canteen.

But clearly we've reached a point where just because something works great as-is, it won't stop the powers that be from asking themselves, "Is there some way we can exploit this to maximize ROI?"

mickEblu

Even if you are not familiar with the show, the whole idea behind the ride makes it iconic. Think back to riding and watching the pre-show. The music gets everyone excited as Rod Serling begins to speak. At the very end everyone in their deepest voice repeat the word "The Twilight Zone" as it echoes off the walls and we prepare to enter the fifth dimension. The ride just would not have that same emotional connection if it was just a drop ride in a haunted hotel.

Yea that's what I'm saying. Even if one is not familiar with the franchise...the ride experience itself , queue, pre show Etc are iconic and now nostalgic for people.

FigmentForver96

I can only assume certain posters have never actually experienced Tower of Terror going by their posts.

A weak theme? Anyone who talks such absolute nonsense has either never been on the attraction itself or is purposely trying to provoke an argument.

The "Golden Era" theme never worked? Again, utter nonsense. But proof that some will lap up even the most idiotic notions that Iger and crew come up with.
These people are just trying to argue. The golden age of Hollywood theme has worked fine since the beginning of the park. It was everything else around the park that was lacking. In fact Hollywood and Sunset Blvd are some of the best areas in the resort. If Disney goes with this it is not because they think the Hollywood theme is a lost theme that should be removed.

They would do this just to save a buck and get people into the park without ever adding capacity. They rely on the fact that so many Disney fans are unfortunately naïve and will ride and support many of Disney's choices. Disney knows this and they know if they can make a cheap overlay that will draw people in then theming be damned. If they truly wanted to change the theme of the area they would start from one end and retheme the entire street. From the sounds of it, it would only be the ride.

Bairstow

I agree that the Twilight Zone is a great theme and ought to stay.

That said, I would be less opposed to a "re-theme" if the basic concept of haunted hotel was still kept and the atmosphere was still incredibly creepy and evocative. You could switch Twilight Zone to Alfred Hitchcock, or Unsolved Mysteries, or any other scary "brands" and my love for the place might take a little hit, but it wouldn't feel desecrated. The tremendous and obvious problem with Guardians of the Galaxy is that it does not communicate "scary" or "threatening" at all. It's an utterly tone deaf mismatch.

What makes the Tower of Terror so brilliant is how effectively it communicates emotional value from the moment you see it looming from the parking lot. It's the best build-up in theme park history, as far as I'm concerned. By the time you get to the drop, you're so hyped for it that it could drop you two feet like the Living Seas elevators and you'd still be thrilled. I'M still thrilled by it even though I've ridden it a jillion times and know exactly what's coming. Suspense and thrill is more about effective storytelling than ride mechanics.

Adding some goofy flash-in-the-pan franchise to Tower of Terror? How would any of that awesome be preserved?

That does raise an interesting point- you probably COULD completely remove the "Twilight Zone" theme, or at least the license and overt references to the television show, from the WDW ride without fatal changes to the ride. The building exterior, queue, ghost story, and most of the ride experience was developed with very little influence from the TV show. My personal theory is that the attraction was actually developed as a reference, official or not, to the film "The Shining" and that the "Twilight Zone" overlay was an addition fairly late in the conceptual process.

For an example of what Tower of Terror could be minus the Twilight Zone part of the equation, look no further than the Tokyo DisneySea version of the ride. Granted, that one is more Edwardian than Golden Age Hollywood, but the bones are all still there.

Slowjack

Really? I think it only looks good at night, and even then it's not that great, just an improvement over its relatively flat and mediocre daytime aesthetic.

tower_of_terror_florida_vs_california.jpg
Wow, I guess I'd never seen a good picture of DCA's tower--I only knew how the internals were different. That looks like the plastic child's toy version of the real tower.

Chris82

I'm honestly fine if the overall theme of DHS moves away from the "old Hollywood" look. However, even if we were to go with a grab bag of themes for various areas of the park, there is no need to get change the overall experience of one of the most popular attractions in the world. There is going to be no singular theme for the DHS park, so there's no problem having this one relic of the old Hollywood theming.

Let's look at Tomorrowland over in Magic Kingdom. The whole concept of Tomorrowland has been abandoned for several attractions, but who would say "well, the whole futuristic idea has tanked, let's change Space Mountain to something fresh"?

Meh. I love the old Hollywood section of DHS. It's fantastic, evocative, rich, and otherworldly - I could live in the Tower of Terror, the queue to the Great Movie Ride, and the Brown Derby. What's more, it feels connected to something real and interesting outside the parks - something I could go and research and discover, unlike most fictional franchises.

Mike S

For example, The Twilight Zone ToT has always seemed very weak to me. Why license the rights to an old CBS TV show? I think Disney is now asking the same question. Disney has many properties that could provide the theme for repeated drops from an old hotel. They could call it "Wally's Dumpster Drop".
Because it wasn't about the latest flavor of the month IP. It was about a great way to make the concept work you brainless bafoon.
I respect your passion in the matter but I think you're allowing your emotions to overrule your objectivity. You almost sound like one of the people who back in Walt's day thought he was crazy to build Disneyland.

The proposed concepts are not insane. Change of this type is part of the growth Disney needs to retain its leadership in the entertainment industry.
See my above comment.
Doing away with The Twilight Zone tie in makes perfect sense. Why use a 40 year old TV show to create a scary atmosphere? Why pay CBS a license fee? Some people have stated that this new idea is "insane". It seems insane to me that Disney is paying CBS a license fee for a "dead" TV show.

Certainly they can come up with a scenario from current Disney IP that will work for ToT. How about "Up"?
movie-up-03.jpg
You have officially gone wacko, but I'll entertain your asinine thoughts. What if Disney wanted to get rid of The Twilight Zone in Tower of Terror? What could replace it? Hmmmm........... Bingo!!!!

I have no desire to be offensive or provocative in my comments. If you perceive my comments that way then look within. I admit knowing that the audience here is full of zealots with some overbearing and single minded adherents. But there are also some people that are willing to consider and even embrace my viewpoints as well. I am willing to share my thoughts with others in this forum not so much in an attempt to arrive at a consensus, but rather interject that other worthwhile concepts should be considered.

There are many answers to how theme should be used at DHS and I am not a fan of their current methods. The "golden era" of Hollywood concept never worked right IMO. I think Disney recognizes that and they're going to make some changes. With the advent of SW, GotG and other IP, DHS will finally get the themed planning that it so richly deserves.

From its start in 1989, DHS (i.e. Disney-MGM Studios) was rushed into being and was not put together well. ToT was rushed into being as well to fill the lack of attractions in DHS. Did you know that the site for ToT had to be moved due to a sinkhole that was found during the original geological assessment?

Of course, it would have been better to have a solid and comprehensive plan prior to the 1989 opening but what's done is done. This time around Disney can redo the park, put up a huge icon and kick the "golden era" of Hollywood to the curb.

FigmentForver96

Because it wasn't about the latest flavor of the month IP. It was about a great way to make the concept work you brainless bafoon.

See my above comment.

You have officially gone wacko, but I'll entertain your asinine thoughts. What if Disney wanted to get rid of The Twilight Zone in Tower of Terror? What could replace it? Hmmmm........... Bingo!!!!

Make sure to save that video for future use. We may need it again.

Wikkler

The writing on the wall is in Spirit's post- Rock n Roller Coaster is next.

The planned/rumored Captain America (formerly Iron Man) coaster in DCA will go behind the ToT. What's nearby ToT in Orlando? RnRC. It won't be themed with the the Cap's iconic shield without an expensive deal with Universal, but it does seem that this layout would pretty closely mirror the other coast. Which is what Disney likes now, apparently.

Hollywood Studios will get its west-coast equivalent of DCA's Marvel Land, with two e-tickets, without building a single new ride.
Let's all not want anything new, because at this point, wanting the parks to stay fresh is doing more harm than good.
We wanted a Frozen ride. So we go it. We wanted a Marvel Land. So we got it. Warning to all armchair Imagineers: please quit. Now, before Zootopia replaces Festival of the Lion King or something even more sacred.

Doing away with The Twilight Zone tie in makes perfect sense. Why use a 40 year old TV show to create a scary atmosphere? Why pay CBS a license fee? Some people have stated that this new idea is "insane". It seems insane to me that Disney is paying CBS a license fee for a "dead" TV show.

Certainly they can come up with a scenario from current Disney IP that will work for ToT. How about "Up"?
movie-up-03.jpg
Doing away with The Song of the South tie in makes perfect sense. Why use a 70 year old film to create a Southern atmosphere? Some people have stated that this idea is "insane". It seems insane to me that Disney would pay to keep an attraction for a "dead" film.

Certainly they can come up with a scenario from current Disney IP that can work for Splash. How about "Moana"?
NE2Ply7CAXxQ64_3_b.jpg

Because they don't need the entire concept. Prior to the Twilight Zone idea, they had plans to use Mel Brooks to narrate the story line. We've had the current story line for over twenty years. I think they should try another concept. And if they have to pay a licensing fee then they should include Micheal Jackson as our guide to the other side. They could call it "Moon walking in the ToT".

Fox&Hound

I wish they would announce what the new name for the park is and where they plan to take the park in the next few years. None of this makes sense unless it's some part of a bigger plan we are unaware of....they just redid the Starbucks in keeping with the sunset theme. Will they really
Change it?

Figments Friend

I can't imagine this happening. I just can't. The senior imagineers must know better. Do they just stay silent when this stuff comes up? I just don't understand.

And there lies one of the major problems....
There are darn few 'senior Imagineers' left now within the current ranks of WDI.
The majority are 'newbies' who would not dare rock the boat against upper management and protest against suggestions deemed questionable.
They want to keep their jobs, after all....so projects move through for all the wrong reasons in some cases unchallenged.

All the 'senior Imagineers' fans tend to think of and hold in high regard have been slowly pushed out, either by their own will or by a firm kick to the backside by their employer.
Some of the truly GREAT people who created, designed, and built truly fantastic Attractions are gone...or forced to watch from the sidelines with no real power to make necessary changes.

There are luckily still a few Old Veterans still present at Flower St. , but with retirement looming they may well be jumping out with a 'golden parachute'.
Don't want to be putting any 'holes' in that....if you know what i mean....
;)

-

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Gee you are starting to sound like ME, Welcome to the dark side :cool:

FrankLapidus

Gee you are starting to sound like ME, Welcome to the dark side :cool:

I was thinking that earlier. What a terrifying proposition... :jawdrop:

In all seriousness my tolerance of the current management is being pushed beyond breaking point and this would be the final straw; shoehorning Frozen into Maelstrom rather than actually building a new attraction in a more appropriate setting was bad enough, this is just beyond the pale. That anyone would try to defend or justify this lunacy is just ridiculous.

Bairstow

I was thinking that earlier. What a terrifying proposition... :jawdrop:

In all seriousness my tolerance of the current management is being pushed beyond breaking point and this would be the final straw; shoehorning Frozen into Maelstrom rather than actually building a new attraction in a more appropriate setting was bad enough, this is just beyond the pale. That anyone would try to defend or justify this lunacy is just ridiculous.

I don't think it's time to pick up the rhetorical pitchforks and torches just yet.
There isn't confirmation for any of this.
These aren't even credible rumors.

FrankLapidus

I don't think it's time to pick up the rhetorical pitchforks and torches just yet.
There isn't confirmation for any of this.
These aren't even credible rumors.

I've been sharpening my pitchfork for a while for various reasons, the recent cuts being a particularly big one; I'm waiting for something to happen that gives me reason to light the torch. This would be that something.

If it doesn't happen I'll be absolutely delighted. That it is even being considered and pushed by individuals in such elevated positions in TWDC makes me very concerned about the people running the show these days.

As for the credibility of the rumour, I consider the source of it on this forum to be perfectly credible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom