Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

michmousefan

Oh, horrors, the nerve of me. Yeah, that panel looks like crap and would look even worse in the Tower. Not everyone is into men in capes, you know, or racoons who pack heat. Meanwhile, the idea of a haunted Hollywood hotel is something anyone can grasp and enjoy.

I'm not even going to bother with your usual juvenile "you hate Muppets" jazz. Yeesh.
Holy sh*t, this Tower/Guardians nonsense must be quite an abomination if I'm in complete agreement with MP. Cats and Dogs, living together! :jawdrop:

Phil12

I don't understand this reasoning. So Disney should only include things in the parks that Walt Disney and/ or the company was around for? So I guess Frontierland and pirates have to go.
No, I apologize for not explaining in more detail. When DHS was first established in 1989 it was Disney-MGM Studios. They licensed the name MGM, the logo, Leo the lion and other content from MGM to legitimize the park. After all, as I said before, Disney was not a major player during the golden era of Hollywood. Disney was nothing more than a small independent studio.

MGM was the epitome of glamour and big studio production during the golden age of Hollywood. They, of course, weren't the only big studio but MGM was the leader during that period.

You see, the idea behind Disney-MGM Studios is that you had real working studio productions taking place while also celebrating the golden age of Hollywood. And it worked, for awhile.

The working studio concept dried up and MGM was filing lawsuits against Disney before the park even opened. And this was also the time when the ownership of MGM was being bounced around between Kirk Kerkorian, Ted Turner and others. Disney got caught in the middle while these brokers were pealing off the movie assets of MGM.

I liked the original idea of the park but I think Disney should leave that concept to Universal and instead concentrate upon their real strength.

For example, The Twilight Zone ToT has always seemed very weak to me. Why license the rights to an old CBS TV show? I think Disney is now asking the same question. Disney has many properties that could provide the theme for repeated drops from an old hotel. They could call it "Wally's Dumpster Drop".

Mike S

The ride itself could be fine...I guess, but that's not even one of the main issues.

First. The ride takes place in old Hollywood and is a giant hotel themed as such. Guardians of the Galaxy, no matter how they spin it, does not fit in that era.

Second. A franchise like Guardians of the Galaxy needs a new ride with innovative tech and fresh ideas. Not throwing it over an older ride.

Third. Tower of Terror is one of the last greatest rides built by Disney and is almost perfect in every way. Throwing a random ride in there would water down the ride and ruin the entire theming of the street so nobody wins either way.
How I always envisioned a GotG ride is pretty much what the rumors are saying the Star Wars Battle Ride will be. Trackless, physical effects mixed with screens, the works. Never in my darkest nightmares did I envision this.
The writing on the wall is in Spirit's post- Rock n Roller Coaster is next.

The planned/rumored Captain America (formerly Iron Man) coaster in DCA will go behind the ToT. What's nearby ToT in Orlando? RnRC. It won't be themed with the the Cap's iconic shield without an expensive deal with Universal, but it does seem that this layout would pretty closely mirror the other coast. Which is what Disney likes now, apparently.

Hollywood Studios will get its west-coast equivalent of DCA's Marvel Land, with two e-tickets, without building a single new ride.
Disgusting. Thank god for Marvel Superhero Island and Universal. Seems like they're the only ones who know how to do Marvel right.

Cesar R M

I never have said the cuts where a figment of our imagination. What I have said is all business go though up and down cycles when hiring employees. The hire like mad and add hours and sooner or later there is what can be perceived as a labor surpluses. Then the labor budgets gets to high and they cut back where they can and soon cut back to far. Than the they start adding hours and the hiring starts over again.
disneyisbusiness_monstersinnc.jpg

anyway, relevant to the thread.
IF the TOT overlay happens.
will it just be a overlay or would they actually use the time to refurbish the ride as well?

The writing on the wall is in Spirit's post- Rock n Roller Coaster is next.

The planned/rumored Captain America (formerly Iron Man) coaster in DCA will go behind the ToT. What's nearby ToT in Orlando? RnRC. It won't be themed with the the Cap's iconic shield without an expensive deal with Universal, but it does seem that this layout would pretty closely mirror the other coast. Which is what Disney likes now, apparently.

Hollywood Studios will get its west-coast equivalent of DCA's Marvel Land, with two e-tickets, without building a single new ride.
I can hear the same fanfare, ads and Pr spins as the "new" fantasyland.

Phil12

Yes, there certainly is. The clueless, and hopefully so to be jobless, idiots who conceived/approved this insane concept deserve every ounce if venom that speed their way.

People that actually like the idea (if there are any that aren't just trolling)....I'm biting my tongue. But, I did use the term "moronic" earlier, and I'll stand by that.
I respect your passion in the matter but I think you're allowing your emotions to overrule your objectivity. You almost sound like one of the people who back in Walt's day thought he was crazy to build Disneyland.

The proposed concepts are not insane. Change of this type is part of the growth Disney needs to retain its leadership in the entertainment industry.

DisDan

I respect your passion in the matter but I think you're allowing your emotions to overrule your objectivity. You almost sound like one of the people who back in Walt's day thought he was crazy to build Disneyland.

The proposed concepts are not insane. Change of this type is part of the growth Disney needs to retain its leadership in the entertainment industry.
So you approve of TOT's Marvelous Makeover?

doctornick

I've been holding onto this for awhile, but don't be surprised if RnRC is part of this as well.

Well, as absurd as it would be to even shut down one ride given the current state of DHS, I truly can't imagine them shutting down ToT and RnR at the same time.

That said, do you think it's possible that they could be looking to do a GotG overlay at both DL and WDW but using different rides? i.e. change ToT at DCA, but RnR at DHS. That's a lot more justifiable/sensible even though it still has a host of issues.

In terms of "spreading costs", they could convert RnR at both WDW and DLP to a Marvel theme (previously, RnR in Paris was rumored to convert to Spider-Man, but no reason it couldn't be GotG instead). Then when they build the Captain America coaster (or whatever is planned) for DCA's Marvel land, they can duplicate that ride in Paris too to share costs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
End of 18 for Anaheim.
Do you know if they will be built independently and at the same time or will some of the people working on the DL version need to come to FL before they ramp things up? If they needed to wait it could push the WDW version out into 2020.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For example, The Twilight Zone ToT has always seemed very weak to me. Why license the rights to an old CBS TV show? I think Disney is now asking the same question. Disney has many properties that could provide the theme for repeated drops from an old hotel. They could call it "Wally's Dumpster Drop".
Now I'm convinced you have never actually been to the park or experienced ToT.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, as absurd as it would be to even shut down one ride given the current state of DHS, I truly can't imagine them shutting down ToT and RnR at the same time.

That said, do you think it's possible that they could be looking to do a GotG overlay at both DL and WDW but using different rides? i.e. change ToT at DCA, but RnR at DHS. That's a lot more justifiable/sensible even though it still has a host of issues.

In terms of "spreading costs", they could convert RnR at both WDW and DLP to a Marvel theme (previously, RnR in Paris was rumored to convert to Spider-Man, but no reason it couldn't be GotG instead). Then when they build the Captain America coaster (or whatever is planned) for DCA's Marvel land, they can duplicate that ride in Paris too to share costs.
Good news for us is TDO is cheap and will probably opt for a quick and inexpensive meet and greet area instead of changing either actual ride. For once their frugal behavior could benefit us:)

Ignohippo

Maybe. I had heard it was RnRC that could get the re-theme (and this was a LONG time ago), but I trust what WDW1974 has to say and, if that's the case, I could see them doing both and turning the end of Sunset into a mini-Marvel-ish land (at least the second-tier properties they can use). We have no idea what is going to be included in GotG2, so it's very possible there may be some kind of action sequence that could relate to a TotT-type attraction. Otherwise, it sounds like a VERY bizarre fit. I would think BH6 would be a much better fit for ToT.

Btw, their push to get new characters into the movies is certainly not by coincidence.

I can only speculate, but I would think any downtime probably wouldn't happen until Toy Story opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom