Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Phil12

So you approve of TOT's Marvelous Makeover?
Doing away with The Twilight Zone tie in makes perfect sense. Why use a 40 year old TV show to create a scary atmosphere? Why pay CBS a license fee? Some people have stated that this new idea is "insane". It seems insane to me that Disney is paying CBS a license fee for a "dead" TV show.

Certainly they can come up with a scenario from current Disney IP that will work for ToT. How about "Up"?
movie-up-03.jpg

Atomicmickey

I've been holding onto this for awhile, but don't be surprised if RnRC is part of this as well.

So . . . . if a different theme (somehow Marvel related without infringing
on the Uni contract) is in place, that would mean that the theme "Sunset Blvd." is also going away, correct?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Doing away with The Twilight Zone tie in makes perfect sense. Why use a 40 year old TV show to create a scary atmosphere? Why pay CBS a license fee? Some people have stated that this new idea is "insane". It seems insane to me that Disney is paying CBS a license fee for a "dead" TV show.

Certainly they can come up with a scenario from current Disney IP that will work for ToT. How about "Up"?
movie-up-03.jpg
Who cares about a licensing fee. They are charging $100 a head to get into the park, they can afford it.

FigmentForver96

I respect your passion in the matter but I think you're allowing your emotions to overrule your objectivity. You almost sound like one of the people who back in Walt's day thought he was crazy to build Disneyland.

The proposed concepts are not insane. Change of this type is part of the growth Disney needs to retain its leadership in the entertainment industry.
There is space for Disney to build an entire new land of they wanted for Marvel. This is absolutely disgusting of an effort and doesn't help Disney as a business, but makes them look stupid and foolish.

DisDan

Can Disney even use the name "Marvel" anywhere in their parks in WDW?

Just thinking, a Marvel mini-land would not really work unless it was a mini-land based on a single Marvel franchise and did NOT include the Marvel name.

doctornick

Maybe. I had heard it was RnRC that could get the re-theme (and this was a LONG time ago), but I trust what WDW1974 has to say and, if that's the case, I could see them doing both and turning the end of Sunset into a mini-Marvel-ish land (at least the second-tier properties they can use). We have no idea what is going to be included in GotG2, so it's very possible there may be some kind of action sequence that could relate to a TotT-type attraction. Otherwise, it sounds like a VERY bizarre fit. I would think BH6 would be a much better fit for ToT.

Btw, their push to get new characters into the movies is certainly not by coincidence.

I can only speculate, but I would think any downtime probably wouldn't happen until Toy Story opens.

As much as I love ToT and would miss it being taken away, I would grudgingly be willing to give this idea a chance if the goal is to change the entire area to a Marvel land. Seems like a complete waste of money (and I love Marvel!) but at least it would be addressing the incongruence of theme we would get by changing just ToT. Of course, if that's the plan, I'd much rather they just build a new Marvel land somewhere else in DHS (no problems converting RnR and using that as a start of a new land)

I think your point about waiting until TSL opens makes sense for attraction capacity reasons, but doesn't seem to fit WDW1974's timeline (DHS's ToT going down first half of 2017) unless TSL is being fasttracked to completion.

Atomicmickey

I imagine that if Disney actually announces that they're doing this, the backlash would be even bigger than the Imagination fiasco.

And we know how much good that backlash did, sadly.

If experience is any indicator, they will not comment any time soon. And they will not listen
to this. And it will go ahead. And then they'll put it on the Parks Blog when they're halfway
through construction.

I don't feel as though we have a voice, no matter how hard we yell. Am I missing something,
or when did all of us here yelling do anything at all?
Lights of Winter?
Off Kilter?
Frozenstrom?
Adventurer's Club?

Again--I could be wrong--when has fan outcry ever stopped anything? Just curious.

DisDan

And we know how much good that backlash did, sadly.

If experience is any indicator, they will not comment any time soon. And they will not listen
to this. And it will go ahead. And then they'll put it on the Parks Blog when they're halfway
through construction.

I don't feel as though we have a voice, no matter how hard we yell. Am I missing something,
or when did all of us here yelling do anything at all?
Lights of Winter?
Off Kilter?
Frozenstrom?
Adventurer's Club?

Again--I could be wrong--when has fan outcry ever stopped anything? Just curious.
DCA Makeover?

doctornick

Can Disney even use the name "Marvel" anywhere in their parks in WDW?

Nope. But they could do something generic like "Superhero something" and use other properties like Big Hero 6 or The Incredibles. Or even more generic like "Hero something" or "Action something" and use stuff like Indiana Jones or Hercules.

hopemax

DCA Makeover?

Fans started complaining about DCA during construction. It still took how many years of disastrous operating revenues, and wasting time and money on a bunch of small fixes (bugs land, ToT, etc) before they finally admitted that the park had BIG issues, and a few more upgrades wouldn't solve anything?

Ignohippo

So . . . . if a different theme (somehow Marvel related without infringing
on the Uni contract) is in place, that would mean that the theme "Sunset Blvd." is also going away, correct?

No. Not at all.

Neither attraction ties into Sunset Blvd. as it is. I guess you could say ToT is a hotel in Hollywood, but it doesn't have to be the case.

Ignohippo

movie-up-03.jpg

I would say, if it is "Heroes" related, BH6 would be a perfect fit. Not hard to imagine at all that they're trapped in an old building and a villain is chasing them.

Once again though, we have no idea what kind of action sequences may be in GotG2.

Kate F

GotG is a great movie and I would love to see a ride based on it, but not at the expense of one of the best attractions at WDW. I know Disney has made a lot of poor decisions lately but I am in disbelief that they would even consider doing something like this. ToT is one of my favorite rides and I would be shocked and devastated if they were to actually go through with this, but I just can't seem to get too upset by this news because I highly doubt that it's actually going to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom