Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

FigmentForver96

So the few Marvel characters they can "use" and Disney doesn't capitalize on this at all.
Well apparently they are about to or at least they are trying. You do not have to believe it but you cannot sit and say the insiders are wrong and they don't know what they are talking about.

Mike S

Without knowing it, you've stumbled upon the entire point. Disney is not concerned with the opinion of fans. They are concerned with profit. They know that the ToT is popular due to the ride mechanism itself, not due to the story or the theme. After all the Tokyo version uses a different story and it's hugely popular. Therefore , they're free to change the story in order to sell more Groot and Rocket Raccoon plush and other GotG merchandise in the gift shop.

If you've ever noticed, there is very little merchandise in the gift Shop that deals with The Twilight Zone except for a few books and a T-shirt or two. The overwhelming majority of merchandise is devoted to the Hollywood Tower Hotel (HTH) and no mention is made of The Twilight Zone on most sale items. Any story can be crafted to work with Hollywood Tower Hotel that would incorporate any number of other Disney owned IP's.

This makes it simple for Disney to drop The Twilight Zone theme and switch to GotG or another IP with the added bonus of being able to sell more of their own merchandise IP and dropping the current licensing fee paid to CBS.
I wish I had a way to profit off your stupidity. I'd never have to work another day in my life.

FigmentForver96

Without knowing it, you've stumbled upon the entire point. Disney is not concerned with the opinion of fans. They are concerned with profit. They know that the ToT is popular due to the ride mechanism itself, not due to the story or the theme. After all the Tokyo version uses a different story and it's hugely popular. Therefore , they're free to change the story in order to sell more Groot and Rocket Raccoon plush and other GotG merchandise in the gift shop.

If you've ever noticed, there is very little merchandise in the gift Shop that deals with The Twilight Zone except for a few books and a T-shirt or two. The overwhelming majority of merchandise is devoted to the Hollywood Tower Hotel (HTH) and no mention is made of The Twilight Zone on most sale items. Any story can be crafted to work with Hollywood Tower Hotel that would incorporate any number of other Disney owned IP's.

This makes it simple for Disney to drop The Twilight Zone theme and switch to GotG or another IP with the added bonus of being able to sell more of their own merchandise IP and dropping the current licensing fee paid to CBS.
Congratulations! You have proven that you have no idea what you are talking about!

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Well, to make this a less harsh reply than the others....let me just say this. Tower of Terror has had 22 years of goodwill towards it's theme and status now...people talk about TOT the same way they talk about HM and POTC, and it isn't because it's just a drop ride, it's arguably the best themed attraction in all of WDW from start to finish.

I know the TOT is popular in TDS but it also has a compelling story, amazing theming, and some great pre-show effects.

Absimilliard

After much thinking about it, I realize I really don't care about the TOT at the Studios in FL that much. The ride never felt finished to me and the clunky ride system break any illusion that you're travelling through the fifth dimension. I also preferred the drops when you only had a lap bar holding you in and having the seatbelt seat was a big deal.

On the other hand, except for a really bad design choice in the lobby of the Paris and California TOT, the ride experience felt better there. The clunky transitions in and out of the shaft were eliminated and I prefer the mirror scene to the confusing Fifth Dimension scene. Did you know the Fifth Dimension is meant to represent the elevator climbing up vertically? The only way you can tell is if you look on the right as you enter the drop shaft in FL, you can see a sideways elevator door.

I still know TOT in FL is the face of that park and I really don't want current Imagineering butchering the ride just to shove GOTG in it.

TOT in Tokyo is for me the last attraction that is in the Phantom Manor, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones Adventure and Space Mountain: De la Terre a la Lune category: the timeless classics.

P.S: ever since Miceage repeated what wdw1974 had told us months ago, the story has legs! Coworkers who are not Disney fans talked to me about it out of the blue and the idea is all the same: utterly dumb idea.

Brer Panther

Even from a strictly business standpoint, replacing TOT in WDW with a GOTG ride would be a huge mistake. DHS is an underbuilt park. The park needs to expand. The company should not be replacing popular rides, especially at a time when a significant portion of the park will be under construction. There are so many issues with DHS that need to be addressed, and TOT is not one of them. For goodness' sake, TOT is practically a park icon. The WDW version is well-regarded as an Imagineering masterpiece. That licensing fee is chump change compared to the value the ride generates for Disney.

Don't even get me started on the thematic issues this rumored attraction will create.
Plus, it's a pretty popular ride. If they closed it chances are we'd have another Mr. Toad situation.

Disneyhead'71

I had one of those. The Sit and Spin. I do not think it was Marvel themed. . .
WDW's new Spider-man ride coming as soon as Universal pays Disney to take the Marvel rights back.
51yxp0iDAqL._SX300_.jpg

FigmentForver96

After much thinking about it, I realize I really don't care about the TOT at the Studios in FL that much. The ride never felt finished to me and the clunky ride system break any illusion that you're travelling through the fifth dimension. I also preferred the drops when you only had a lap bar holding you in and having the seatbelt seat was a big deal.

On the other hand, except for a really bad design choice in the lobby of the Paris and California TOT, the ride experience felt better there. The clunky transitions in and out of the shaft were eliminated and I prefer the mirror scene to the confusing Fifth Dimension scene. Did you know the Fifth Dimension is meant to represent the elevator climbing up vertically? The only way you can tell is if you look on the right as you enter the drop shaft in FL, you can see a sideways elevator door.

I still know TOT in FL is the face of that park and I really don't want current Imagineering butchering the ride just to shove GOTG in it.

TOT in Tokyo is for me the last attraction that is in the Phantom Manor, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones Adventure and Space Mountain: De la Terre a la Lune category: the timeless classics.

P.S: ever since Miceage repeated what wdw1974 had told us months ago, the story has legs! Coworkers who are not Disney fans talked to me about it out of the blue and the idea is all the same: utterly dumb idea.
Sorry you feel that way. Orlando def has the superior version outside and inside. The outsides of the towers in Paris and California are tacky looking and appear to be forced aged rather than the aged look that Orlando has. Also those towers do not have the cool moving forward effect nor the same creepy translation done in Orlandos.

Orlando's was built with detail and design in mind.

The other two were quick band aid solutions to failing parks.

truecoat

Well apparently they are about to or at least they are trying. You do not have to believe it but you cannot sit and say the insiders are wrong and they don't know what they are talking about.

I can tell you I've read the contract and the 60 miles is pretty cut and dry. The TOT in Anaheim is toast but the one in DHS will stay.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can tell you I've read the contract and the 60 miles is pretty cut and dry. The TOT in Anaheim is toast but the one in DHS will stay.

The 60 mile thing applies to the retail concept that Marvel was going to develop and is described in the contract as:

"The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes"

Arguably, re-theming Tower of Terror to a GotG ride would not turn DHS into a "Marvel Action Universe".

FigmentForver96

So has insiders like 74, GiveMeTheMusic and others who has given accurate information over and over again. I have not found anything in your history that shows you have given insider information that was correct. Spirit says that they are indeed looking into doing it at Hollywood Studios. Guardians of the Galaxy can be used inside the Orlando theme parks, but the franchise cannot be used under the Marvel name. You should have gotten that by now, you are playing dumb simply to argue and play dumb.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Two if there was an agreement we would have seen an addendum on the SEC site to protect Comcast/Universal and their agreement in case either company gets bought out or sold.
Not necessarily. Only "material agreements" need to be filed. Small amendments may not be considered material and therefore might not get filed, even if the base agreement was filed. Was the clarification regarding Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch filed? If so, I'd expect a similar one regarding GotG to be filed, if the parties actually thought an amendment was needed to clarify.

Filing a contract with the SEC does not make the contract official or binding (or more binding) -- it merely notifies the markets of material agreements. Thus, if an amendment was signed to clarify, Comcast/Uni would be protected regardless of whether it was filed with the SEC. If it is a material agreement and isn't filed with the SEC, that might be a securities law violation, but wouldn't affect whether the agreement itself is enforceable.

Absimilliard

Sorry you feel that way. Orlando def has the superior version outside and inside. The outsides of the towers in Paris and California are tacky looking and appear to be forced aged rather than the aged look that Orlando has. Also those towers do not have the cool moving forward effect nor the same creepy translation done in Orlandos.

Orlando's was built with detail and design in mind.

The other two were quick band aid solutions to failing parks.

The moving forward part is what I have an issue with in Florida. The rough transitions in and out of the elevator shafts totally ruin the illusion as you feel the bump and hear the elevator rattling like its falling apart. Is it due a lack of maintenance? Age? Design? Add to that a ride last month on the FL TOT where every effect and sound was delayed a few seconds.

I didn't say the Paris and California towers were perfect. The lobby was a straight lift from FL and this cause an issue on its own: in the original, you enter from the side and the crashed elevator is in the correct position, right under the main building. In Paris and California, you enter from the front and this cause the crashed elevator to lead to... nowhere. It would lift up to a non exisiting part of the Hotel.

At least at TDS, they placed the crashed elevator correctly.

Mike S

The moving forward part is what I have an issue with in Florida. The rough transitions in and out of the elevator shafts totally ruin the illusion as you feel the bump and hear the elevator rattling like its falling apart. Is it due a lack of maintenance? Age? Design? Add to that a ride last month on the FL TOT where every effect and sound was delayed a few seconds.

I didn't say the Paris and California towers were perfect. The lobby was a straight lift from FL and this cause an issue on its own: in the original, you enter from the side and the crashed elevator is in the correct position, right under the main building. In Paris and California, you enter from the front and this cause the crashed elevator to lead to... nowhere. It would lift up to a non exisiting part of the Hotel.

At least at TDS, they placed the crashed elevator correctly.
I'd like to see how you move around after being struck by lightening ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom