Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Wikkler

You are all feeding into Disney's mindset about IPs carrying a park. A park is carried by the quality of it's attractions not the relevance of the intellectual properties.
I don't really think so.

The first part of my comment was just a list of attractions Universal's built and opened since the Avatar announcement.
The second part was a reply to @Matt_Black saying he wasn't interested in a single franchise at Universal except Marvel.
The third part was me saying that one or two IPs can't carry a park by themselves. A theme park needs diversity, and definitely some non-IP attractions. I'm not a sheeple like you think I am.
And the fourth was my stupid non-IP original attraction idea.

RSoxNo1

Announcement date of Pandora: September 20, 2011.
  • Soundstages 44 and 54 demolished: June 24, 2012 - Transformers opening: June 20, 2013
  • Food and Film Festival closure: November 2012 - First phase Springfield open: June 1, 2013 - Kang & Kodos open: August 11, 2013
  • Jaws closing: January 2, 2012 - Diagon Alley opening: July 8, 2014

Really? Nothing? There's gotta be an IP you like. Jurassic Park? The Mummy? Shrek? Men in Black? Popeye, even?

Two IPs cannot carry a park alone. That's what the criticism of the DHS redo is saying. I'd like an older-audience theme park somewhere in the Disney empire, I don't care if it's in LBV or in Hong Kong. Imagine a Marvel land, Star Wars land, Mystic Manor, etc...
There'd still have to be a Fantasyland, though, for the smaller kids, so Pixar Place seems appropriate (as long as it's a proper Pixar Place and not just TSL).

The best armchair Imagineering idea that will never happen: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but with Tylosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Xiphactinus instead of giant squids and Atlantis and such.
A man can dream, right?
The announcement to completion time for Pandora is impressive relative to Universal's build times, but for me the most ridiculous example was Snow White's Scary Adventures (5/31/2012) into Princess Fairytale Hall (9/18/2013). It took 16 months to remove a very primitive dark ride and redecorate.

Kman101

Really, Joy and Sadness are examples of them caring? They showed up on April 3, 2016, the movie debuted in theaters in June 19, 2015. It took them 10 months to put them in the parks, that's unacceptable and tells me that not only do they not care, they're clueless.

I agree with you, they should have been meetable (which I've stated in the past) from the start. But the manager who got them into the park clearly cares and I can still appreciate the fact that they were brought on. Most are clueless but you can't lump them all together IMHO.

PhotoDave219

The announcement to completion time for Pandora is impressive relative to Universal's build times, but for me the most ridiculous example was Snow White's Scary Adventures (5/31/2012) into Princess Fairytale Hall (9/18/2013). It took 16 months to remove a very primitive dark ride and redecorate.

That they announced Pandora back in 2011 and here we are, in 2016, and its still being built..... Thats some serious chutzpah and not caring about your audience/customer base.

RSoxNo1

You forgot Minions, opened July 2012 and still gets long waits. So that's three E-ticket rides (Minions, Transformers, Gringotts), plus one new land and a mini-land, all in the time since the announcement of Avatar. Who knows what else they'll do between now and Star Wars opening.

All Disney has done is the woeful Mine Train and closed a bunch of things, leaving them idle for months or years without any sign of replacing them (contrast with Jaws where Diagon shovels started moving the day after it closes).

Pandora and Star Wars will be make or break for WDW. Toy Story 'land' looks like it's just an unthemed coaster and a spinner, so worse even than the other Playlands or anything you'd get in a country fair, so not really relevant, but Pandora and Star Wars are the opportunity to prove they still have it. Stuff like Harambe shows they *can* still do theming if they put their minds to it, but disappointments like New Fantasyland show the limits of Imagineering's imagination, so it could go either way.
Minions is not an E-ticket. The Mine Train isn't woeful, it's just short and it's a far better ride than Minions.

FigmentJedi

I think each of the non-Magic Kingdom parks needs a dedicated character / kiddy area. The Animal Kingdom lost that and I think Dinoland USA should be the new option. I hate the Dinorama theme, but a more thematically appropriate kiddy section of Dinoland would be a great home for classic characters.
You see, that's why I had an armchair imagineering notion of taking Camp Minnie Mickey, giving it a National Parks-esque overhaul inspired by the Humphrey Bear shorts and making it "North American animals through the lens of those shorts and features like Bambi and Fox and the Hound" anchored by a boat-ride based around the Fearsome Critters of lumberjack folktales.

Wikkler

See, I'm not sure I get this whole "Star Wars and Marvel should have gone to a third gate" thing. Where would it have gone? What would the underlying theme be? Wouldn't that hugely cannibalize DCA, a park already being hugely cannibalized by DL? Am I missing something?
The idea is that Star Wars and Marvel aren't thematically appropriate in either existing park until DCA just gives up entirely.
I think each of the non-Magic Kingdom parks needs a dedicated character / kiddy area. The Animal Kingdom lost that and I think Dinoland USA should be the new option. I hate the Dinorama theme, but a more thematically appropriate kiddy section of Dinoland would be a great home for classic characters.
How about, instead of having one section of the park dedicated to just carnie rides, having family-friendly attractions spread throughout the park so families can enjoy the entire place and not just one section where they're "supposed" to go. Have you ever spent time in the kiddy lands at Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks?

What Epcot needs to attract the younger audience is not Frozen or Nemo or Ratatouille, but more emphasis on the themes of Epcot. An updated JII could really appeal to the toddler and elementary-school crowd. Pavilion rides that showcase culture or mythology could be interesting. God forbid, you need recognizable characters, at least put in Coco instead of Donald Duck. Totoro instead of Big Hero 6.

Hollywood Studios... Toy Story Land is a start, but is not nearly enough. It's disappointing what Disney has done with Animation Courtyard, it really is... so much wasted potential.

Animal Kingdom doesn't have enough attractions, really, but you should see what armchair Imagineers do to the place. Adding Bambi-land to AK is not the direction we need to go in. Animal Kingdom should be the most realistic park of the four. More lands would be appreciated, too. All we have at the moment is Africa, Asia, and DinoLand, with Pandora coming next year. Australia-land would be great. Arctic-land would be great. Amazon-land would be great. Beastly Kingdomme would have been great, but that concept is as dead as Primeval Whirl.

RSoxNo1

You see, that's why I had an armchair imagineering notion of taking Camp Minnie Mickey, giving it a National Parks-esque overhaul inspired by the Humphrey Bear shorts and making it "North American animals through the lens of those shorts and features like Bambi and Fox and the Hound" anchored by a boat-ride based around the Fearsome Critters of lumberjack folktales.
I'll allow it

RSoxNo1

The idea is that Star Wars and Marvel aren't thematically appropriate in either existing park until DCA just gives up entirely.

How about, instead of having one section of the park dedicated to just carnie rides, having family-friendly attractions spread throughout the park so families can enjoy the entire place and not just one section where they're "supposed" to go. Have you ever spent time in the kiddy lands at Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks?

What Epcot needs to attract the younger audience is not Frozen or Nemo or Ratatouille, but more emphasis on the themes of Epcot. An updated JII could really appeal to the toddler and elementary-school crowd. Pavilion rides that showcase culture or mythology could be interesting. God forbid, you need recognizable characters, at least put in Coco instead of Donald Duck. Totoro instead of Big Hero 6.

Hollywood Studios... Toy Story Land is a start, but is not nearly enough. It's disappointing what Disney has done with Animation Courtyard, it really is... so much wasted potential.

Animal Kingdom doesn't have enough attractions, really, but you should see what armchair Imagineers do to the place. Adding Bambi-land to AK is not the direction we need to go in. Animal Kingdom should be the most realistic park of the four. More lands would be appreciated, too. All we have at the moment is Africa, Asia, and DinoLand, with Pandora coming next year. Australia-land would be great. Arctic-land would be great. Amazon-land would be great. Beastly Kingdomme would have been great, but that concept is as dead as Primeval Whirl.
Simply put, what you're classifying as carnie rides are far more difficult to theme appropriately. Put a spinner in Adventureland and you get Aladdin which is out of place. Put it in a dedicated area like Dinorama or Fantasyland and it fits. It's not impossible to do what you suggested, but it's far tougher than my approach.

Mike S

Eh, I prefer Avatar.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
See, I'm not sure I get this whole "Star Wars and Marvel should have gone to a third gate" thing. Where would it have gone??
Toy Story and cast parking lots as it was explained to me. Though whether they'd have considered now the plot east of Harbor where they're building the new parking structure I don't know.

Last edited:

Wikkler

The Marvel rides in IMG Dubai sound really good. I wonder how many Disney fans won't be the slightest bit interested in making a trip, but if the same attractions were in a Disneyland Dubai they'd be booking tickets as fast as they could!
People would complain about seeing the buildings! How can you complain about seeing skyscrapers in a Marvel land?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom