Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Kman101

No, and I don't intend to.

To each their own but you're really missing out. It doesn't even have to be about liking those properties. You do appreciate a well-themed environment, right? A well-themed and immersive attraction? I'm just curious why you so staunchly refuse to enjoy a very well-done theme park. But again, to each their own but I feel you're being a bit stubborn on the issue, LOL

Matt_Black

To each their own but you're really missing out. It doesn't even have to be about liking those properties. You do appreciate a well-themed environment, right? A well-themed and immersive attraction? I'm just curious why you so staunchly refuse to enjoy a very well-done theme park. But again, to each their own but I feel you're being a bit stubborn on the issue, LOL

I'll make you a deal- they build a Serenity/ Firefly attraction, I'll go.

Kman101

I'll make you a deal- they build a Serenity/ Firefly attraction, I'll go.

LOL. Well, that says it all than. Shame but you like what you like man. You couldn't walk in the park, jump on Revenge of the Mummy and come off going "wow, what an amazing attraction" and then become a fan? Just curious ... I'm not trying to harass you about it, I'm just a bit surprised on your stance, I guess and maybe I shouldn't be.

Matt_Black

I don't care about rides, or at least not riding for the sake of riding. If I did, I could go to nearby Hershey Park or Six Flags Great Adventure. I want to go and immerse myself in stuff I love. I can do that at WDW. I cannot do that to the same degree at Universal because aside from a small handful of Marvel stuff, there isn't anything there I care about.

Kman101

But you could come off of it loving it? It's not really about "riding to ride". I just think you're doing yourself a disservice just because you aren't attached to said property. I don't fall all over Harry Potter either but the entire experience is incredible. Oh well. I don't think I can change that mind of yours. I tried ;)

Matt_Black

You know, "How can you judge it when you haven't even experienced it yet" didn't work for me when I brought it up to all the people complaining about the Frozen ride either. So, fair's fair. :p

Disneyhead'71

I don't care about rides, or at least not riding for the sake of riding. If I did, I could go to nearby Hershey Park or Six Flags Great Adventure. I want to go and immerse myself in stuff I love. I can do that at WDW. I cannot do that to the same degree at Universal because aside from a small handful of Marvel stuff, there isn't anything there I care about.
See, I'm exactly opposite. I have never gone to a theme park because of the Intellectual Properties included in the parks. I go because I am an Amusement/Theme Park fan. I am not really a Disney fan. I am a Disney Parks fan. Usually the only reason I see Disney movies is so that I can discuss them here with you guys. I LOVE themed entertainment in all it's forms. I love the parks, the resorts, the restaurants etc. I'm in it for the experience. That is one reason that I loathe the "M&G as an attraction" trend. It has become all about "The Brand" and not about the experience. I couldn't care less about "The Brand". And when you are selling "The Brand" over the experience, you have lost me.

Matt_Black

That's were we differ. The meet and greets are part of the experience. On my last trip, Princess Jasmine was very complimentary about my beard, because she clearly has excellent taste. Also, this was a thing that happened.

belle1.png

This picture is a long, complicated, obscure joke that no one will get, and I don't care because I love it to bits.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You know, "How can you judge it when you haven't even experienced it yet" didn't work for me when I brought it up to all the people complaining about the Frozen ride either. So, fair's fair. :p
Depends if you know exactly what Frozenstrom will entail, the politics and the reasons behind it, and the fact the location is wrong.

IOA is different. You can't call it if you've never been. And if you refuse to then you've no one to blame but yourself.

Matt_Black

Depends if you know exactly what Frozenstrom will entail, the politics and the reasons behind it, and the fact the location is wrong.

IOA is different. You can't call it if you've never been. And if you refuse to then you've no one to blame but yourself.

It's different because if I see a new ride at WDW, I can try it and judge without paying anything extra. Now, unless YOU are going to pay for me to go to Uni, I have every right to be discerning with my money, especially with something I very well might not enjoy to the degree that others do.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's different because if I see a new ride at WDW, I can try it and judge without paying anything extra. Now, unless YOU are going to pay for me to go to Uni, I have every right to be discerning with my money, especially with something I very well might not enjoy to the degree that others do.
Indeed. And until then you cannot be taken seriously in discussing Marvel in the Orlando parks. You only have one side of the story.

But I would love to take you to IOA someday. Seriously.

Disneyhead'71

That's were we differ. The meet and greets are part of the experience. On my last trip, Princess Jasmine was very complimentary about my beard, because she clearly has excellent taste. Also, this was a thing that happened.

View attachment 139132

This picture is a long, complicated, obscure joke that no one will get, and I don't care because I love it to bits.
Well, if it is not about "The Brand" and is all about "The Experience", then you should be beatin' feet up I-4 because Universal has some really cool M&Gs.

Wikkler

You forgot Minions, opened July 2012 and still gets long waits. So that's three E-ticket rides (Minions, Transformers, Gringotts), plus one new land and a mini-land, all in the time since the announcement of Avatar. Who knows what else they'll do between now and Star Wars opening.

All Disney has done is the woeful Mine Train and closed a bunch of things, leaving them idle for months or years without any sign of replacing them (contrast with Jaws where Diagon shovels started moving the day after it closes).

Pandora and Star Wars will be make or break for WDW. Toy Story 'land' looks like it's just an unthemed coaster and a spinner, so worse even than the other Playlands or anything you'd get in a country fair, so not really relevant, but Pandora and Star Wars are the opportunity to prove they still have it. Stuff like Harambe shows they *can* still do theming if they put their minds to it, but disappointments like New Fantasyland show the limits of Imagineering's imagination, so it could go either way.
Minions "construction" started before the Avatar announcement. @AEfx wanted a list of those that started after Avatar but hey.

Wikkler

Imagine someone saying "There's nothing at Disney for me. I hate princesses, Mickey, Peter Pan, and Star Wars. I'm not going because there's literally nothing there I like." Then someone coerces them and they get on Space Mountain on their first day and-- they're hooked.

RSoxNo1

And yep, they just won't. I was thinking about that today, you can tell on a park level when management cares (getting Joy and Sadness into Epcot, Animal Kingdom as a whole, etc.) or when they don't. No one is allowed to fight for anything unless you are a few certain people and I think that's a shame. I'm grateful to those that have given us good things.
Really, Joy and Sadness are examples of them caring? They showed up on April 3, 2016, the movie debuted in theaters in June 19, 2015. It took them 10 months to put them in the parks, that's unacceptable and tells me that not only do they not care, they're clueless.

captainmoch

If Anaheim got the original plan and Marvel was a third gate, yes.

But that was axed and it's going in a park about..... California?

In the meantime you'll have to suck it up and deal with the fact in Orlando you won't get all your characters in a Disney park. Have you ever been to IOA?
See, I'm not sure I get this whole "Star Wars and Marvel should have gone to a third gate" thing. Where would it have gone? What would the underlying theme be? Wouldn't that hugely cannibalize DCA, a park already being hugely cannibalized by DL? Am I missing something?

RSoxNo1

The Excavator was themed around a gravel pit (which became a paleontological site once they hit prehistoric paydirt), complete with one of those stock domes you always see. Even with the addition of dinosaur bones and heavy machinery done up like dinosaurs by the Institute students, I feel like they could do more with that space. You do see a lot of "something with Ice Age mammals" ideas getting thrown around in armchair imagineering ideas.
I think each of the non-Magic Kingdom parks needs a dedicated character / kiddy area. The Animal Kingdom lost that and I think Dinoland USA should be the new option. I hate the Dinorama theme, but a more thematically appropriate kiddy section of Dinoland would be a great home for classic characters.

RSoxNo1

Two IPs cannot carry a park alone. That's what the criticism of the DHS redo is saying. I'd like an older-audience theme park somewhere in the Disney empire, I don't care if it's in LBV or in Hong Kong. Imagine a Marvel land, Star Wars land, Mystic Manor, etc...
There'd still have to be a Fantasyland, though, for the smaller kids, so Pixar Place seems appropriate (as long as it's a proper Pixar Place and not just TSL).

The best armchair Imagineering idea that will never happen: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but with Tylosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Xiphactinus instead of giant squids and Atlantis and such.
A man can dream, right?
You are all feeding into Disney's mindset about IPs carrying a park. A park is carried by the quality of it's attractions not the relevance of the intellectual properties.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom