Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Quinnmac000

Agreed but the thing is Disney probably COULD top what Universal did. And also agreed about how they aren't doing what they have justice. But I'm not ready to dismiss Iron Man in Hong Kong because it's similar to Star Tours. For me it could still be a great ride. We all want amazing new technology and ride systems but does it REALLY matter that it's not a Gringotts or a coaster? For me it doesn't.

After almost 20 years, Universal nor Disney has been able to top the feat that is The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman.

Mike S

Agreed but the thing is Disney probably COULD top what Universal did. And also agreed about how they aren't doing what they have justice. But I'm not ready to dismiss Iron Man in Hong Kong because it's similar to Star Tours. For me it could still be a great ride. We all want amazing new technology and ride systems but does it REALLY matter that it's not a Gringotts or a coaster? For me it doesn't.
Disney could definitely top Universal with Marvel due to the fact that Joe "look how amazing I'm making Animal Kingdom!!!" Rhode is in charge of it at WDI. Seriously. AK is in some freaky void compared to the other parks with how much is being done right there, including the new Lion King theater @AEfx. All we need now is an announcement for a DinoLand overhaul and the demise of Dino-Rama. Also The Jungle Book in Asia. I want that so much :inlove:

Edit: They just won't. I've made the point before that all the amazing projects that have come out of WDI in the US recently are because they had/have big people behind them. Cars had John Lasseter, Avatar has James Cameron, and Star Wars shockingly has Bob Iger and the BoD behind it.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

No.

What makes you think it would at WDW?

BUT there is other stuff at Disney I'd want to do. At Uni... nothing. I don't care about Harry Potter. I don't care about Minions. The Simpsons... Maybe 20 years ago before it became the shambling undead creature of TV that it is now. Et cetera.

Quinnmac000

Disney could definitely top Universal with Marvel due to the fact that Joe "look how amazing I'm making Animal Kingdom!!!" Rhode is in charge of it at WDI. Seriously. AK is in some freaky void compared to the other parks with how much is being done right there, including the new Lion King theater @AEfx. All we need now is an announcement for a DinoLand overhaul and the demise of Dino-Rama. Also The Jungle Book in Asia. I want that so much :inlove:

Joe Rohde also lead the project for Iron Man Tours essentially and also didn't stop Chapek from thinking GOTG going into TOT was a bad idea. These guys may be creative but they are only as creative as their bosses will allow with Disney owned properties. Outside properties like Pandora are blessed and allowed to go over budget and saved from budget engineering (James Cameron can pull out and sue Disney if they didn't meet the contract).

Last edited:

Mike S

Joe Rohde also lead the project for Iron Man Tours essentially and also didn't stop Chapek from thinking GOTG going into TOT was a bad idea. These guys may be creative but they are only as creative as their bosses will allow with Disney owned properties. Outside properties like Pandora are blessed and allowed to go over budget and saved from budget engineering (James Cameron and pull out and sue Disney if they didn't meet the contract).
I added a little edit to my post before I saw yours and I agree. If Joe Rhode was allowed to really create Disney could do some amazing things with Marvel. Sadly that's not the case.

yellowrocket

a "new" E ticket to contend with forbidden Journey and those scary 15 minute lines its been averaging? What a joke.

The reason that Harry Potter is only getting 15 minute waits is because Universal annual passholders have been blocked out since the ride officially opened - and everyone knows how those Southern California pass holders crowd the parks (what do these people do for a living?). Imagine what the wait would be for the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland if the pass holders were prohibited to ride. A 15 minute is actually quite admirable.

We'll see how successful the ride is when USH lets in everyone.

yellowrocket

"Why not go to Universal?" Because I don't want to. I want to see new stuff that the Imagineers cooked up.

You know that most of the staff at Universal Creative are former Imagineers, right? And, even at Disney, the amount of work that WDI contributes to their attractions is minimal, and decreasing all the time. Yes, the key projects still originate with WDI, but even for those, the architecture, engineering, construction, and installation are handled by subcontractors due to the fact that outside A/E services and construction management services are ridiculously more cheaper than Imagineering. With the little physical output that WDI contributes to the Disney parks, it's amazing that corporate Disney still lets them have their huge campus in Glendale.

Kman101

Edit: They just won't. I've made the point before that all the amazing projects that have come out of WDI in the US recently are because they had/have big people behind them. Cars had John Lasseter, Avatar has James Cameron, and Star Wars shockingly has Bob Iger and the BoD behind it.

I know. It's bizarre that Animal Kingdom is so fantastic and run by the same people that make the decision to turn Guardians into the Tower or Frozenstrom ...

And yep, they just won't. I was thinking about that today, you can tell on a park level when management cares (getting Joy and Sadness into Epcot, Animal Kingdom as a whole, etc.) or when they don't. No one is allowed to fight for anything unless you are a few certain people and I think that's a shame. I'm grateful to those that have given us good things.

I'm also patiently waiting for the Chester and Hester Dinorama area to be madeover. I don't understand why they couldn't just have built the Excavator coaster (they couldn't have just copied Temple of Peril or Raging Spirits?). We have Primeval Whirl, why not the other at the time instead? (I know the theming would have clearly cost more). They should have just sucked it up and done it at the time. I guess there's hope someday for it on that plot of carnival games ...

mickEblu

The reason that Harry Potter is only getting 15 minute waits is because Universal annual passholders have been blocked out since the ride officially opened - and everyone knows how those Southern California pass holders crowd the parks (what do these people do for a living?). Imagine what the wait would be for the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland if the pass holders were prohibited to ride. A 15 minute is actually quite admirable.

We'll see how successful the ride is when USH lets in everyone.

I realize this but let me pose this question? Do you think Universal was expecting the 15 minute lines or do you think they are disappointed ?

Quinnmac000

Good point... but I have to believe they were expecting a bit more pandemonium.

On another note, I hope that the new SWL rides have this type of ride capacity.

They probably learned their mistakes from FL and Japan while installing this into Hollywood and most likely trying to maintain guest satisfaction rather than long lines and breakdowns (i.e Diagon Alley/Gringotts). I really hope SWL and all future disney rides have high capacity because those 60+ minute lines are brutal.

Mike S

You folks seem to be focus on the "Imagineering" part of my comment and less on the "new". Let's see an Ant-Man ride! A Wakanda area. I want a Wakanda so bad. One part jungle, one part The Jetsons.
I would be all for an Ant-Man Adventure Thru Inner Space at DCA's Marvel Land. Knowing that it can't come to WDW anyway but you just know Wakanda would've been pitched for Africa in AK even though I'm really not sure if I would want that at all.

Btw, all this talk just proves how Marvel could easily carry its own park with Star Wars.

mickEblu

They probably learned their mistakes from FL and Japan while installing this into Hollywood and most likely trying to maintain guest satisfaction rather than long lines and breakdowns (i.e Diagon Alley/Gringotts). I really hope SWL and all future disney rides have high capacity because those 60+ minute lines are brutal.

I agree. Going Back to those 15 minutes lines, I have to get over to USH before Summer gets here and finally ride Forbidden Journey. I wonder if it's possible to match my expectations though, after reading for years that theme park aficionados consider it the best ride in the world.

doctornick

The reason I would say "go to Universal" is because, more likely than not, whatever Disney makes will not top what has already been done up the road. Guardians is the only MCU film than can be used in WDW and just look at what's rumored. Also Iron Tours in Hong Kong. Nothing so far has given me any reason to be excited about Disney having Marvel. There is a rumor about The Avengers in IoA though. Also, you're missing out on A LOT more than Marvel at Uni.

Why not both? I enjoy Uni including their Marvel stuff, but would also like to see Disney utilize Marvel and do it justice in their parks. That doesn't mean just improperly re-theming existing rides, but developing stuff to the fullest potential. It's crazy IMHO that they haven't used Marvel already in the parks that could have it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom