Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Rodan75

Well, why would she have been? She's never been all that strongly connected to Spider-Man.
From a pure character origin I agree, but the comics have made her a part of the 'spider-family'. My point isn't specific to Spider-Woman, just that she is an example of a character you would have assumed (using the logic of this board) was part of the Sony's film rights.

My overall point is that Marvel was vague on these details either because their lawyers were incompetent or they were trying to leave themselves some wiggle room in the future since these contracts were for such long periods. (we aren't talking a lot of wiggle room, but certainly Thunderball/Never Say Never levels that could allow for some exploitation.)

Edit to add - While Stan Lee was no longer a key figure at Marvel during these negotiations, he is infamous for being vague in his contract terms causing several problems through the years (including recently with SLM). Which could be an indication that Marvel was trying to be sly.

Matt_Black

From a pure character origin I agree, but the comics have made her a part of the 'spider-family'.

Perhaps in recent years, but at the time the contract was drawn up, the two characters had almost no practical connection outside having names with "Spider" and a hyphen in it.

doctornick

If they really need Marvel in that space, I really think they should consider waiting to see how Dr. Strange turns out as it seems to involve similar themes as the current attraction.

I have said before that if you were determined to do a Marvel theme on the ToT, Dr. Strange -- who coincidentally has a movie coming out this year -- could actually work without huge changes. He could even have time travel as part of the experience taking him to a haunted hotel from the early 20th century without a problem.

doctornick

I think Dr Strange falls into the grey area. I am no comic expert but it appears he became part of the New Avengers in 2010 which was after the contract was made. So this goes back to the question of whether the families were locked in at the time of the contract or allowed to change.

I agree that Dr. Strange at least falls into a "gray area". How can a character who has existed for decades relatively independently somehow become a member of a "family" of an unrelated character because they have some small affiliation for a brief period? I'm not saying that Dr. Strange clearly would be usable, but Disney lawyers would at least be able to make a reasonable argument that Dr. Strange is not part of the families of any characters Uni uses. This isn't Thor or Ant-Man who have long histories serving with Captain America.

Exactly. The fact that GOTG has been used, indicates that the families are not tied to where they first appeared or had a major story line.

During the Sony hack, we saw that the way that the families were managed for the Sony deal was sloppy making some unrelated characters part of the Spidey-Verse and not including others that clearly could/should have been (I believe Spider-Woman is technically outside of the Sony film rights) and that there was a reconciliation process for determining character film rights, we've seen similar with Fox and Marvel (Quicksilver). The Universal/Marvel contract could be similarly not concrete and since they didn't take the global expansion, it could be more limited than we are assuming.

The boards have made a lot of assumptions on the family management and style guide. The truth is we don't have all of those details and it is hard to infer the details because Universal has done little to update character designs or costumes to show what they have access to.

The only thing we know for sure is that Disney can clearly use GOTG and BH6 in FL without Marvel Branding and Universal has the rights to the characters they are currently using in theme parks east of the Mississippi in perpetuity (potentially with modern Style Guides, potentially with locked 90's style guides)

Agree with all this. The concept of "families" among comic book characters who have existed for decades and have appeared all over the place can be subject to a ton of interpretations. There's clear cut cases that are off limits for Disney to use, but there's a number of cases where they could make solid arguments for by using more narrow/restrictive definitions of "family". The public contract we have doesn't say nearly enough to make clear cases -- so it would become an issue for lawyers to fight over.

yoda_5729

As far as I know, and granted that is not much about this subject, I was under the impression that the Universal deal involved any and all characters originally represented in the park.

As far as I know, there is....
The Amazing Spider-Man ride
The Hulk Coaster
Doom's Fear Fall
Storm's G-Force
and
Fantastic Four themed restaurant
Captain America themed restaurant

However, that is not by any means all the characters represented in the island. The reason I ask this, is because there is an area of the island that has several blades (they look similar to Wolverine's Claws), and they have dozens upon dozens of characters represented. That being said, though I haven't found all the images of what is on there,it's possible Dr Strange is represented on one. Ant-Man for example is, as is Namor and Black Panther. These are two pictures I found online of the blades.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1440/islandsofadventure133.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4xCDc_K_J...k/s1600/22-Marvel%20Super%20Hero%20Island.jpg

The two claw/blades seen in the image closer up appear to be of the original X-Men, and the golden age characters of Timely Comics (later renamed Marvel). I can't see all the blades, but based solely off his stature in having his own title, and reasonable fame, it's quite possible Strange is on one of these blades/claws. I don't know, as I can't see all of them.

lazyboy97o

As far as I know, and granted that is not much about this subject, I was under the impression that the Universal deal involved any and all characters originally represented in the park.

The Hulk Coaster
Doom's Fear Fall
Storm's G-Force
and

However, that is not by any means all the characters represented in the island. The reason I ask this, is because there is an area of the island that has several blades (they look similar to Wolverine's Claws), and they have dozens upon dozens of characters represented. That being said, though I haven't found all the images of what is on there,it's possible Dr Strange is represented on one. Ant-Man for example is, as is Namor and Black Panther. These are two pictures I found online of the blades.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4xCDc_K_JJ4/UzTNvrMtSRI/AAAAAAADK6Y/XgfmwoMF80k/s1600/22-Marvel%20Super%20Hero%20Island.jpg

The two claw/blades seen in the image closer up appear to be of the original X-Men, and the golden age characters of Timely Comics (later renamed Marvel). I can't see all the blades, but based solely off his stature in having his own title, and reasonable fame, it's quite possible Strange is on one of these blades/claws. I don't know, as I can't see all of them.
The meteor impact site would be an area that brings up "incidental" use.

doctornick

The Hulk Coaster
Doom's Fear Fall
Storm's G-Force
and

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4xCDc_K_JJ4/UzTNvrMtSRI/AAAAAAADK6Y/XgfmwoMF80k/s1600/22-Marvel%20Super%20Hero%20Island.jpg

Photos like that would be "incidental use" as mentioned and wouldn't be covered as part of the contract. That said, Uni does have M&G characters and Wolverine is one of the folks featured (as are Storm and Rogue among the X-Men), so he's clearly Uni's property in terms of the contract.

yoda_5729

Since that is under "incidental use," then Marvel/Disney actually has access to quite a few characters then, if I understand everything. I thought the family of characters was pretty much more based around the movies then the theme parks. I would imagine Universal of all places would have a Deadpool, M&G, based off of his popularity and the fact they clearly have the X-Men. Deadpool however, as far as I know isn't represented anywhere? I thought those blades (I guess they are a meteor impact site, though they always looked like Wolverine's Claws to me), eliminated quite a few just by having the mosaics. Technically, Rocket Raccoon's first appearance is in an Incredible Hulk comic book (he has an appearance in a magazine before then, but I believe he is called Rocky), so more so then the fact the Guardians were at one point named to being Avengers, the fact his first comic appearance is in a Hulk comic, when they clearly own the rights to Hulk is troubling to me. It's very very vague what is and is not off limits.

FigmentJedi

Haven't been back here hardly at all since I broke this news a month ago and as much as I hate to break it to the naysayers, things are still moving forward on both coasts.

From a well-placed source:

"The Tower project is moving along through approvals and design refinements, and the project now has a proposed timeline that closes the attraction this October instead of January as a more elaborate pre-show and queue plan has been given the thumbs up by TDA.

The project isn't formally funded yet as part of Fiscal '17, that won't happen until June or July, but WDI keeps getting happy words and encouragement from TDA and Burbank. TDA could care less about the upset fans, as they consider them to be of the same variety that were upset about Aladdin and Mad T Party closing. TDO continues to balk at the price tag but Chapek thinks the Guardians franchise is the right way to go long term. "

In other words, almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando ... please stick that in your Tweeter!
tumblr_o5yxcpyyvW1rtn2elo1_540.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We all know the solution to the current issues at the Disney Parks the question is are you willing to back it with action

DON'T GIVE DISNEY YOUR MONEY. Skip the parks and tell your friends and relatives to do the same. At the same time write to executive management of Disney and tell them WHY you have stopped your multiple visits per year. If they offer 'free' stuff politely decline if they send it to you write 'refused' on it and send it back.

Cancel your AP and ask for a pro-rated refund.

Sell your Disney stock

I've done these things - Full Disclosure I still have DVC but points have been banked for this UY.

Launchpad McQuack

Photos like that would be "incidental use" as mentioned and wouldn't be covered as part of the contract. That said, Uni does have M&G characters and Wolverine is one of the folks featured (as are Storm and Rogue among the X-Men), so he's clearly Uni's property in terms of the contract.

Wolverine has been at Universal since the very beginning of their deal with Marvel. He was in the stage show I remember seeing back in 1995, which I'm fairly certain was the first Marvel-based "attraction" at Universal.

Edit: just looked it up. The heroes involved were Wolverine, Storm, Spider-Man, and Iron Man. I didn't see villains listed, but I remember Sabretooth and Crimson Dynamo. I THINK Doom was the leader of the villains. Show ran 1993-1995.

lazyboy97o

Wolverine has been at Universal since the very beginning of their deal with Marvel. He was in the stage show I remember seeing back in 1995, which I'm fairly certain was the first Marvel-based "attraction" at Universal.

Edit: just looked it up. The heroes involved were Wolverine, Storm, Spider-Man, and Iron Man. I didn't see villains listed, but I remember Sabretooth and Crimson Dynamo. I THINK Doom was the leader of the villains. Show ran 1993-1995.
That show would not be relevant to this deal which was signed in 1994 and specifically applied to the second theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom