Male Cast Member Costumes

Riviera Rita

After my recent trip I don't care what they are wearing I just want some of the old magic back.
Personally I am more concerned about what guests wear, whoever said Fabletic type leggings suit everyone was lying and a little less flesh on show would be nice. In Les Halles a very large young lady in shorts bent over from the waist with her back to me, not being mean, but, nothing was left to the imagination.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But that’s not accurate to the 1920s, or the frontier times, etc… the lands are themed to a specific time and/or place and the costumes are designed to match that theme.

Cast members, roles, on stage, back stage… everything at the Disney parks was meant to mimic the theme. The onstage CMs were meant to be “actors” playing a part, not individuals expressing their own individuality, may as well just call them employees at this point because they aren’t cast anymore.
By that same metric, you can't have Black CMs in Liberty Square or on the Riverboat unless they were playing the role of slaves.

That kind of historical accuracy could never be met.

Over 1/3 of young adults have tattoos. Many potential employees would balk about having to keep their hair and facial hair up to the old standards, and then you'd have a perpetual staff shortage.

The only type-casting for "on stage" CMs should be for M&G look-alikes.

And even then... maybe that shouldn't be a hard and fast rule. When I saw Hamilton on Broadway, I didn't walk out because Black and Hispanic actors were playing the role of White historical figures. The production of Frozen on Broadway and in Disneyland also had 'color blind' casting and people seemed to enjoy the play anyway.

Most people understand the distinction between the actor and their role.

And now, we've pretty much lapped the original thread on this topic. It's a Groundhog's Day Thread!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Long hair is back for men, post-Covid. I've seen it with both older men and young teens. Go to any college campus and you'll find extended locks from freshmen to seniors.
Often with huge untamed beards.

They just got lazy during the pandemic lockdown!

Hey guys, you want long hair. OK. Tho, get it styled like this, and you'll be OK!...

1678109233254.png

Goofyernmost

I remember the long hair thing of the 60's clearly. I went from a business college to the military instantly so long hair was not an option for me for the next 4 years and then upon my return I got a job as the manager of a retail store. By the time I was able to wear my hair long I had lost a lot of it and that just looked like that character in Rocky Mountain Horror Picture Show. So I missed the real long hair fad, but I was in time for the hair over the ears (complete with mild combover) and flared, highly colorful pants.

1678110709608.png
1678111042234.png

The common remark was from a bunch of old guys, about what my age is now, would think it was the most hilarious thing in the world to say... "Hey, is that a boy or a girl, hee hee". Now we are the ones thinking we should act the same way. Proof the we have not progressed at all.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Ever had a job you had to do something you don't particularly like?
It's not a matter of not liking it, but a matter of not dying in it.

And that's why society has to step in to stop employers from forcing employees from working in dangerous situations, such as getting heat stroke.

Employers then have the responsibility of rotating employees out of the dangerous heat conditions or providing accommodations such as a relaxed uniform code (shorts!) or the use of fans and umbrellas/tents when that would normally not 'fit' the situation.

Dangerous heat conditions isn't always a high of 99 degrees, but being in 90 degrees for hours on end in the sun.

'Fur' CMs are rightfully closely watched so they don't pass out in their character costume. All CMs deserve the same care.

Tony the Tigger

If someone wants to identify as female - then let them where the female costume and vice versa.

But don't mix and match. Gender specific uniforms are usually made differently because they do aim to work with the body type or because they are a costume aligned with a specific character role.

My experience is those who identify different then their biology also try to be understood as that gender as well. As was said to me "If I have to tell you what gender I am, then that's on me". The ones wanting to identify as male, wanted to look and be perceived as male... and vise versa. Obviously not everyone has the body matching their identity, but they tend to dress or cover that as they feel comfortable to fit their identity.

I don't see a cis male wearing the female HM outfit as appropriate. Same as I see someone identifying as female trying to wear a jacket and tie as conflicting - not because I reject their identify, but because jacket and tie is male atire. Likewise, I don't want a male lifeguard identifying as female wearing a onepiece ladies suit if it doesn't fit their body as it would not work as intended or a female w/o top surgery wearing just a set of trunks. Many roles wear a shirt making this problem less obvious - but the motivations for the conflict are the same. Don't wear outfits that don't match your form or identity. The costumes that are unisex are made for that. The costumes that are made to convey a specific image should be maintained.
You’re overthinking it.

The Mom

Premium Member
I remember the long hair thing of the 60's clearly. I went from a business college to the military instantly so long hair was not an option for me for the next 4 years and then upon my return I got a job as the manager of a retail store. By the time I was able to wear my hair long I had lost a lot of it and that just looked like that character in Rocky Mountain Horror Picture Show. So I missed the real long hair fad, but I was in time for the hair over the ears (complete with mild combover) and flared, highly colorful pants.

View attachment 702373 View attachment 702377

The common remark was from a bunch of old guys, about what my age is now, would think it was the most hilarious thing in the world to say... "Hey, is that a boy or a girl, hee hee". Now we are the ones thinking we should act the same way. Proof the we have not progressed at all.

Lilofan

It's not a matter of not liking it, but a matter of not dying in it.

And that's why society has to step in to stop employers from forcing employees from working in dangerous situations, such as getting heat stroke.

Employers then have the responsibility of rotating employees out of the dangerous heat conditions or providing accommodations such as a relaxed uniform code (shorts!) or the use of fans and umbrellas/tents when that would normally not 'fit' the situation.

Dangerous heat conditions isn't always a high of 99 degrees, but being in 90 degrees for hours on end in the sun.

'Fur' CMs are rightfully closely watched so they don't pass out in their character costume. All CMs deserve the same care.
I've seen custodial cast carry a water bottle on their hip belt and drink openly in the park in front of guests. Cast need to hydrate during the very hot summertime day and night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom