Male Cast Member Costumes

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This reminds me of growing up in the 60's and the flak boys and young men got for having long hair because "that was for girls."

By the 70's, all boys had long hair. Which they shouldn't have had, not because of gendered norms, but because it looked awful. If you're not going to style it, shave it.

It's funny... and horrifying... how people internalize capricious societal norms.

StarWarsGirl

I went last May and thought the heat was going to kill me. I actually waited until the sun was almost down before entering the park because it was so miserably hot.

Male CMs should absolutely be allowed to wear shorts.
July/August are generally even worse. Idk how some of the CMs stand those costumes. I'm used to it and I've still managed to get heat sick a few times down there.

That being said, the vast majority of CMs who have to work outside in the summer do wear shorts.

Vegas Disney Fan

Maybe society should see any style of clothing, whether trousers or skirt/kilt, as unisex. And stop worry "what's for boys" and "what's for girls."

But that’s not accurate to the 1920s, or the frontier times, etc… the lands are themed to a specific time and/or place and the costumes are designed to match that theme.

Cast members, roles, on stage, back stage… everything at the Disney parks was meant to mimic the theme. The onstage CMs were meant to be “actors” playing a part, not individuals expressing their own individuality, may as well just call them employees at this point because they aren’t cast anymore.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I wonder how some of these guests will handle the fact that the majority of CM's portraying Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are female.

Or that the majority of CM's portraying the Queen of Hearts and Miss Piggy are male.

Animated GIF

Minthorne

But that’s not accurate to the 1920s, or the frontier times, etc… the lands are themed to a specific time and/or place and the costumes are designed to match that theme.

Cast members, roles, on stage, back stage… everything at the Disney parks was meant to mimic the theme. The onstage CMs were meant to be “actors” playing a part, not individuals expressing their own individuality, may as well just call them employees at this point because they aren’t cast anymore.
It was the churros that always held the theme together. Churros are the duct tape of theme.

Lilofan

As long as they look the part, I’m meeting the character, not the employee inside.
It was very obvious which cast that did not wear nametags were characters. Back in the day when there were character meet and greets in front of Great Movie Ride at HS, very petite and short females were in sweatpants and grey t shirt no nametag and carrying on their shoulders a huge duffel bag that looked like it was bigger than them. My bet is it contained the character head and costumes they had to wear when they were walking from ABC Commissary Lane to GMR. 30 min on 30 min off was their schedule throughout the day. If I wore a character costume out in 100 degree temp I would be looking forward to resting in ice cold AC after each character set.

Lilofan

Well i mean we should just try to give people as much accommodations as possible so that it encourages them to work better because they feel like people care about them.
Roles to a point to make accommodations. I enjoyed the Citizens of Hollywood in their outfits even performing on Hollywood Blvd at DHS in the middle of July 100 degrees and I noticed they hardly broke a sweat.

ohioguy

This reminds me of growing up in the 60's and the flak boys and young men got for having long hair because "that was for girls."

By the 70's, all boys had long hair. Which they shouldn't have had, not because of gendered norms, but because it looked awful. If you're not going to style it, shave it.

It's funny... and horrifying... how people internalize capricious societal norms.
Long hair is back for men, post-Covid. I've seen it with both older men and young teens. Go to any college campus and you'll find extended locks from freshmen to seniors.

CntrlFlPete

Black nail polish is popular with younger men. And yes, most of those men are straight.

Yep, I am a straight male that wears colorful nail polish/wraps when I can (and I am kinda old), I also tend to carry a purse/murse/bag.

I believe clear and black are all that they allow their male cast to wear -- the only item I am really questioning is if a male was allowed to wear red polish as to OP stated.

I have no issues w/ what folks choice to wear and was just answering the question if I had seen these things at
wdw.

MagicHappens1971

Yep, I am a straight male that wears colorful nail polish/wraps when I can (and I am kinda old), I also tend to carry a purse/murse/bag.

I believe clear and black are all that they allow their male cast to wear -- the only item I am really questioning is if a male was allowed to wear red polish as to OP stated.

I have no issues w/ what folks choice to wear and was just answering the question if I had seen these things at
wdw.
Disney Look is not really gendered, men can wear any color nail polish that a women could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom